Universe Bios 3.2 released!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Just because it has no mods doesn't mean there isn't something else wrong. I doubt recapping would help.

My honest opinion here. You are getting yourself worried over something that really isn't a big deal. You're able to play games, the memory card works, there are no graphical problems or glitches when playing the games. It's not worth pulling your hair out over something so small.

I can't speak for Raz, but maybe the next version of the Unibios could have a delay when loading settings. It's possible other people have a similar card slot problems and just don't know it.

NSMs are not available right now, but I will be posting a thread when they are. Most likely in January.

You are right, NTM. It's a very small issue as you say, however I like all my stuff working 100%. OCD kind of thing. I am very glad however that with the delayed BIOS Raz made it works, so I guess I'll keep that BIOS in my AES and just enjoy :)

BTW: Do you have NBM with included memory card, I still can use one of them.

Don't forget you had reflowed all the memory card pins in the past because of an issue with the memory card slot.

I just have to decide now weather I keep the fix I did in or not. Maybe you can test it again once you receive it back to see how the numbers look

Yes Raz, the AES originally had issues and reflowing fixed it. For sure I'll try again when I get the NSM back. Regarding the delay fix I think it's worth keeping it only if it has no other seconday effects or breaks anything, because as NTM said, it might help some people and (from my experience) the delay is not noticeable at all during startup or gameplay.

Thanks!!

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Just thought I would chime in and say, I have tested all my NGDevTeam games so far on the newer UniBios (MVS->AES using converter on a friends NeoGeo), and the UniBios still has a garbled up screen to use everything on, change settings, listen to music etc.. Hope this gets fixed one day. Once the UniBios works 100% with the NGDevTeam games, then I will buy one for myself, and support Raz. Thanks Raz for updating it all the time though, and supporting it for so long. I have always used your outdated ones that are like one release behind the newest one, and I have always found the UniBios quite nice. I just WISH it worked for the games I played the most for the past 9 years. ;)

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Its not possible for it to work with games that do not have a font that can be used to display text. That is the problem with those games on the AES given there is no built in font like on the MVS.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Then what "fix" for the NGDevTeam games were applied to the UniBios 3.1 and 3.2? Was it only fixed for the AES version of the games or something?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
That was a fix to stop the corrupted neogeo logo showing on the splash screen and top of main menu screen only.

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Have you got your memory card back yet aha2940? does it still have the same problem on your system?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Have you got your memory card back yet aha2940? does it still have the same problem on your system?

Hey man, no, the card has not arrived yet. I hope the mail service did not lose the package. I'll let you know what happens ASAP.

Thanks!!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I finally got my card back. I tested the card again, both banks and it seems to be working. What NTM did was changing the name of the banks like this: [AAAAAAA!]. It seems to work in the couple of tests I did. No clue what the difference was but since the name is never seen, I'll leave it like that. However, I'd suggest leaving the delay Raz put in the test BIOS, permanently since this problem might be affecting some more people and the delay does not introduce any problem AFAIK.

Thanks!!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I need more information. So yours now works fine with your original unibios without the delay built in? How about the numbers with the test bios with both banks? does a different username change speed?

I don't want to leave the delay as it is because it slows the boot time down to much, I will either remove it or make the delay less.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I am running Unibios 3.1 with a NeoSaveMasta and my username ends in ! on the card. The bios resets back to Eur/Arcade on me all the time, not a big deal though. My calendar does seems to speed up and then max out as well, dont know if they are related, never had that issue on the stock bios.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I am running Unibios 3.1 with a NeoSaveMasta and my username ends in ! on the card. The bios resets back to Eur/Arcade on me all the time, not a big deal though. My calendar does seems to speed up and then max out as well, dont know if they are related, never had that issue on the stock bios.

Is the entire name space filled in with characters? Are there spaces after the "!"?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
grendelrt: Your on a MVS and have an issue with your backupRAM. your issue is nothing to do with the memorycard.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Maybe the problem has started since you swapped the bios?

On an MVS system the memory card is not used to save the region. Only the MVS backupRAM is used. If the backupRAM is loosing the region setting it goes without saying it will also be loosing the calendar information.

I guess you can try removing the NeoSaveMasta memory card but that should really be having no effect on the systems backupRAM.

aha2940, I still need your feedback.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Maybe the problem has started since you swapped the bios?

On an MVS system the memory card is not used to save the region. Only the MVS backupRAM is used. If the backupRAM is loosing the region setting it goes without saying it will also be loosing the calendar information.

I guess you can try removing the NeoSaveMasta memory card but that should really be having no effect on the systems backupRAM.

aha2940, I still need your feedback.
Gotcha, I havent honestly worried about it. I dont use the calendar and I can just set the region when start the cabinet if I need to. I just figured I would say something in case it was the same issue aha2940 was having, thanks!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi again

I tested both banks of the NeoSaveMasta at least 5 times and everytime the region was restored successfully, so it seems the problem was having spaces after the ! in the name. No clue why.

Huge thanks for the help to Raz and NeoTurfMasta in understanding this issue. Raz: if you still need the numbers from the test BIOS you sent me earlier, I can burn them again and send you the results, please let me know.

Regards.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I already told you I want a new test with the numbers output bios (both banks). And you need to confirm its fixed with the original bios and not the new one I sent you. Only then can you say the issue is fixed or not. Like I keep saying the new bios is not a permanent fix, it was simply a test to see if it worked.

Just so you know WE do not understand the cause of the issue. There is no reason why no spaces in the name would cause such a problem. Once you test with the original unibios or the number bios you can easily confirm this yourself instead of making an assumption that NTM simply correcting your naming error fixed the problem.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I already told you I want a new test with the numbers output bios (both banks). And you need to confirm its fixed with the original bios and not the new one I sent you. Only then can you say the issue is fixed or not. Like I keep saying the new bios is not a permanent fix, it was simply a test to see if it worked.

Just so you know WE do not understand the cause of the issue. There is no reason why no spaces in the name would cause such a problem. Once you test with the original unibios or the number bios you can easily confirm this yourself instead of making an assumption that NTM simply correcting your naming error fixed the problem.

The tests I posted before were all with the original BIOS you sent me, not with the modified one, otherwise the tests would be useless. I'll post the numbers later when I have burned the test BIOS.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
You can also try removing the spaces again in the bios name and seeing if the problem comes back (I'm sure it wont though). You have to be more complete in what you say because there was no way of knowing if you were testing the original bios or the test one I sent from what you said. I await the new tests with the number output test., make sure to test both banks.

Raz

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I tried with the tes BIOS, I got all consistently this results (tried at least 10 times every bank):

Then tried shortening the names (one bank named simply A! and the other named B!) and the results are the same as the previous screen always.

So whatever happened, it seems to be working now with the original UniBIOS 3.2

Thanks.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes, this means I will remove the delay code unless the issue starts happening again before the next release.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
Would it be possible in the future to update unibios(CD) through pc2neo? Also would it be possible to save scores only if game settings are on default or to have several hiscore tables for the same game on one memory card?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
No for the first one and the 2nd is possible but not going to happen given the limited space on the memory card. Best to set your game settings before setting a highscore.

Raz