The Projector Thread...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Xero said:
First of all , HOLY CRAP IT'S MOUSE MASTER!!!! Guess the home theater projectors can pull him out of hiding.

Secondly, Xian Xi if that notevison ever gives you any troubles, shoot me a pm. I work for Sharp and I can see what I can do to help you out. I work with the LCD TV's and projector groups within Sharp. Also what is your model number?

Its a XR-1S.

BTW I watched Tokyo Drift last night on it, not the best movie but the best in the series.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Do you guys with projectors have problems with the brightness? I'm curious as to how much you have to turn down the lights to see the image well. I would be using it in my basement with fluorescent lighting. I don't mind watching movies in the dark, but regular tv and games might seem a little wierd after a while (unless the game is Silent Hill; In the Dark is the only way to play that game).

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
ambient lighting can be an issue, so you should set up your area accordingly.

If your walls are white, that is not good. The screen you buy can also help with ambient lighting. Grey vs white , and so on...

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Jack Burton said:
Do you guys with projectors have problems with the brightness? I'm curious as to how much you have to turn down the lights to see the image well. I would be using it in my basement with fluorescent lighting. I don't mind watching movies in the dark, but regular tv and games might seem a little wierd after a while (unless the game is Silent Hill; In the Dark is the only way to play that game).

Hoenstly I don't think its a big issue. If you have blinds on your windows then you shouldn't have too much light interefering. Sure not the best picture, but still very watchable.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
bumping this.
I'm seriously considering importing a HD70 - I'm just wondering if the Rainbow effect is bothersome beyond repair to anyone who is suseptible to it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The rainbow effect doesnt bother me at all, its not like it doesnt every second but rather 2-3 times per hour for me. And its not the whole screen, best way I can describe it is like when you use composite video and you get that rainbow effect on only certain things on the screen, kinda like that but less occurring.

EMAGDNIM

Vice's Love Slave
Mouse_Master said:
If it wasn't for the HD70, I would recommend the Panasonic PT-AE900U Projector. Its got a $300 or $400 rebate right now, but the price would still be around $1400, as opposed to the $1k for the newest Optoma.

I'm running the Panny AE900U right not and I'm totally in love with it. I had a AE700U and I decided to upgrade (I still have the AE700 if you're interested).

Anyways, I'll never go back to anything else. I use it for a ton of stuff. I watch a ton of HD sports, play a bunch of games and any HD show that's in primetime.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
EMAGDNIM said:
Anyways, I'll never go back to anything else. I use it for a ton of stuff. I watch a ton of HD sports, play a bunch of games and any HD show that's in primetime.

QFT. I also cant even think about going back. I use my projector for everything.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Jack Burton said:

Having light control is important with a projector; you will very quickly lose dark scene detail with anything other than very minimal light.

I recommend keeping a direct-view set for 'regular' viewing, and use the projector for movies and occasional gaming.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Bishamon said:
Having light control is important with a projector; you will very quickly lose dark scene detail with anything other than very minimal light.

I recommend keeping a direct-view set for 'regular' viewing, and use the projector for movies and occasional gaming.

Thaks for the reply. As of now I have a 32" Sony Vega. Games look great on it. Movies look nice but small when letterboxed. The vega has an anamorphic mode that squeezes the entire vertical resolution into the smaller 16x9 area. I was looking to keep the vega for most video games, and use projector for some newer video games and movies. I don't want to get rid of the vega because old games look great on it. Newer (high resolution) tv's really show how bad the video outputs are of older video game systems.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Necrobumping the hell out of this thread. #dealwithit

I recently picked up a nice projector, a Hitachi CP-SX5500. I've been able to use it for everything from 240p* to 720P. *(signals under 480P I have to transcode from scart/RGB to component, the RGB input doesn't like 15khz unfortunately).

I've been playing a PS2 on 480P RGB since the projector supports RGsB (sync on green). It's fucking glorious. It also has a composite input that lets me get through hdloader, then I switch it to RGB input once I switch the game into progressive mode. I have it at about a 72" diagonal right now, and I couldn't be happier.

Honestly as professional grade CRTs are drying up and have been for some time, I can only imagine projectors perhaps being "a thing" over the next few years. I paid $100 for mine, and it was a $8000 or $9000 retail piece of equipment back in the day.

I've also managed to use a supergun on this thing, and that looks pretty good too. The only hitch is (as noted above) I have to transcode to component. I have a nice key digital RGB -> Component transcoder so the quality is still excellent. The dreamcast on VGA is also fuckin' sweet. These pics don't do it justice... but pics nonetheless:

20170217_235225_HDR.jpg

20170217_134611_HDR.jpg

20170217_134437.jpg

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
That looks fucking amazing.

I'd love to see what people think are quality projectors these days, or at least what to look for. I'm on the fence about putting it in the basement instead of the TV.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Necrobumping the hell out of this thread. #dealwithit

I recently picked up a nice projector, a Hitachi CP-SX5500. I've been able to use it for everything from 240p* to 720P. *(signals under 480P I have to transcode from scart/RGB to component, the RGB input doesn't like 15khz unfortunately).

I've been playing a PS2 on 480P RGB since the projector supports RGsB (sync on green). It's fucking glorious. It also has a composite input that lets me get through hdloader, then I switch it to RGB input once I switch the game into progressive mode. I have it at about a 72" diagonal right now, and I couldn't be happier.

Honestly as professional grade CRTs are drying up and have been for some time, I can only imagine projectors perhaps being "a thing" over the next few years. I paid $100 for mine, and it was a $8000 or $9000 retail piece of equipment back in the day.

I've also managed to use a supergun on this thing, and that looks pretty good too. The only hitch is (as noted above) I have to transcode to component. I have a nice key digital RGB -> Component transcoder so the quality is still excellent. The dreamcast on VGA is also fuckin' sweet. These pics don't do it justice... but pics nonetheless:

20170217_235225_HDR.jpg

20170217_134611_HDR.jpg

20170217_134437.jpg

Yeah Codecrank did a xrgb mini to his and ran sega etc and it looked crazy good. Yours looks pretty sweet as well man enjoy it.

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
Also not sure if stated before but the screen is also really important. You can't just have so shit screen and get a good pic. This thread reminds me that I need to get rid of my theatre setup.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I picked up a different projector, sharp instead of hitachi this time. This mother fucker will sync to anything. Component, RGBHV, RGBs, RGsB, s-video, whatever. It's up to 720p/1080i (no 1080P), but the good news is it syncs 240P RGB on the VGA connector with no problem at all :D

vSfZ817.jpg

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Awesome, is there input lag?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Awesome, is there input lag?

I have to run a test on it but nothing noticeable at all. The hitachi tested about 15ms (not too bad tbh), but I haven't tested the sharp yet. It's been nicer all around and also has a "Game" mode in the settings which may help. I've been playing on this one on various systems, including DDR on wii, and like I said I haven't noticed any lag.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
It's pretty solid. looking like at worst 10-20MS

1E6b0TK.jpg

RdthUdd.jpg

By contrast, a VGA CRT shows my laptops LCD is about 10ms behind a CRT display.

18CO9mp.jpg

So if it's tying or up to 10ms behind my laptop, that's 10-20ms with a CRT as the baseline... not bad at all. Better than most new TVs, and I don't have to use scalers for anything. An XRGB mini has about 10-20ms on its own, right?

Last edited: