The Projector Thread...

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I have recently started to get interested in projectors...

what should i look for in 1?

I know somebody here said they had a blast playing Rez on one...

any help would be nice, thanx....

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
For multimedia , i would go DLP. LCD is bright, but the colors get blurry, and your grey's are aweful.....

I just recently picked one up, so i am fresh on the research.

hateful_liar

Armored Scrum Object
Depends on how much your willing to spend. Are you bothered by rainbows with dlp? If not, there is a new 720p DLP projector from Optoma the HD70 thats getting a lot of buzz right now that retails for $999. You can find a really kick ass 480p projector (Infocus 4805) for even less if your not concerned with HD content. If you got bigger bank to work with the Mitsubishi H3000U is the best under $2k projector imo.

Now if you have $5k or more get a Sony Pearl. It's 1080p and pure sex.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
HD70 ;)

on my shelf. Rainbow effect is a DLP problem of years past. Long gone.

hateful_liar

Armored Scrum Object
Not true. Some are VERY sensitive to it and can still see it, even with the faster color wheels out today. Me? I never had a problem with them. I got a 4805 right now and am saving for the HD70.

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
hateful_liar said:
Now if you have $5k or more get a Sony Pearl. It's 1080p and pure sex.

seconded....amazing home theatre projector....love the sig hateful...Fulltime Killer, one of my fav HK action flicks. The ol "Im better at Metal Slug then you" chat before the ensueing bullet fest.....:)...great, now I need to go watch it again...

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I was the one with Rez and the projectors. ;)

I have 2 now and I couldn't be happier. HD on a projector is a waste because of the simple fact the cost to maintain is insane. A Bulb is going to cost you about 500 a year or so under heavy use and for what you'll pay for the projector, you're better off just getting a DLP.

If you're married to the Projector idea (few of us are) they're a great product. I have 2 now (1 Proxima, 1 Infocus) and they're both really nice. I like the Infocus one more because of the menu interface and customizations, but the Proxima bulb has been an absolute warrior through heavy use.

Figure out what you really want out of a setup and go from there.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I've been really tempted to put down cash on a nice projector but the bulb thing really keeps me away.. shame.
one of the resident home theatre buffs had mentioned new technology was around the corner which would leave the need for bulbs in the past - what's that all about then?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
well there are some that are trying bright LEDS instead of lamps. Lumens are low, but LED life is over 10k hours. Lamps are not bad when you think about the time.....

honestly, almost any Large hdtv is going to have a consumable.

Big screen tv's have Lamps as well
Plasma's last 4-6 yrs, then they are dead....for good.
CRT's are still the best picture, but they dont get bigger than 40"

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Im just looking to probably use it once a year, if anything maybe a couple of times after that.

IM looking to spend 1500 and below.

and a decent picutre... I've seen some where the picture gets blurry or its a bit dark, but we used another one this one time and it was great, very clear...

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
NeoSneth said:
well there are some that are trying bright LEDS instead of lamps. Lumens are low, but LED life is over 10k hours. Lamps are not bad when you think about the time.....

honestly, almost any Large hdtv is going to have a consumable.

Big screen tv's have Lamps as well
Plasma's last 4-6 yrs, then they are dead....for good.
CRT's are still the best picture, but they dont get bigger than 40"

yeah, just that 500 dollars a year on bulbs is a bit much.

khyron

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Check out the optoma hd72 also the cedia show is going on or actually just wrapped up so prices on these are going down.

Shit i dont watch that much tv soo buying a new bulb every few years to get like new picture is better to me then buying a whole new set, also the bulbs are like in the 300's really'

a got four words for you TEN FOOT WIDE SCREENS!

find me a 120" screen for 2 grand

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
yeah, just that 500 dollars a year on bulbs is a bit much.

a year?
how much tv are you watching.
3000 hours is a long time of usage.
it should be more like 2-4 yrs...

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I have a projector at my house, and it's amazing. I really love it, and is a great piece of media. It's also the cheapest way to the biggest screen. Get a good sound system and you're rocking like the movies

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
yeah, i couldnt imagine any other way to get 100" screen in my apartment....

crisp as hell on my white wall, and when i built my screen, it was jaw dropping.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have a sharp notevision and love it. It has 480p and 720p.

Right now in my movie room it projects a 70" image which IMO is perfect for me. If you make the image too big then its hard to keep track of whats happening on the screen.

70" in my movie room is equivelant to my view in the theater. Most post 2001 projectors have a 720p capability which is available through the vga connector, that is how mine works. The newer ones have either component in or hdmi.

One thing to look for is the projector db rating, some projector fans are loud but most times you wont be bothered by it as like going to the movies with the AC on is the same.

Mine only cost me $450 and I love it. I wouldnt mind having the Sony Ruby but I aint selling my nuts.

Check out projectorcentral for info on projectors.

edit: 70" not 60"

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
hateful_liar said:
Not true. Some are VERY sensitive to it and can still see it, even with the faster color wheels out today.

I'm in this boat, and my wife is even more sensitive, so DLP was out for me when looking at a new projector. I ended up with a Sanyo Z4; 1280x720p, dynamic iris, and the ability to clean the LCD panels without taking apart the projector.

If I was looking to buy right now, I'd probably wait for the new crop of 1080p LCDs.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
you wont find many people supporting LCD's for multimedia. Even the high end LCD's have poor black, and slight screen door.

If you are seeing rainbow on current gen DLP, then you have a malfunctioning machine....

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
NeoSneth said:
you wont find many people supporting LCD's for multimedia. Even the high end LCD's have poor black, and slight screen door.

If you are seeing rainbow on current gen DLP, then you have a malfunctioning machine....

On my older DLP I only see the "rainbow" if I blink rapidly. But 98% of the time I dont see it.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
how about for HD gaming systems like xbox360? Do you think their HD settings will be as good on the projector. Reason is I'm wondering how a ps3 will look on a projector with components but maybe not hd input.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
OrochiEddie said:
how about for HD gaming systems like xbox360? Do you think their HD settings will be as good on the projector. Reason is I'm wondering how a ps3 will look on a projector with components but maybe not hd input.

the 360 at 720p was awesome on my projector, we had it setup where we would be standing on our side of the split screen playing ghost recon.

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
If it wasn't for the HD70, I would recommend the Panasonic PT-AE900U Projector. Its got a $300 or $400 rebate right now, but the price would still be around $1400, as opposed to the $1k for the newest Optoma.

Xero

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
First of all , HOLY CRAP IT'S MOUSE MASTER!!!! Guess the home theater projectors can pull him out of hiding.

Secondly, Xian Xi if that notevison ever gives you any troubles, shoot me a pm. I work for Sharp and I can see what I can do to help you out. I work with the LCD TV's and projector groups within Sharp. Also what is your model number?

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
NeoSneth said:
you wont find many people supporting LCD's for multimedia.

Unless, of course, you look at highly-regarded sites such as Projector Central, Cine4Home, the AVS forums, etc. :rolleyes:

I choose the slightly higher black levels of LCD over the rainbow-effect and dithering of DLP; others choose differently.

Riiiight.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
NeoSneth said:
a year?
how much tv are you watching.
3000 hours is a long time of usage.
it should be more like 2-4 yrs...
3000 hours - I thought that was just 'with luck' and with reduced settings. I don't watch much TV but I am a film student so the prospect of getting a projector is :drool_2: