The most average Neo game you've played

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
How does Mutation Nation stack between Ninja Combat (low bar) and Robot Army (medium to highish bar)? Those are the two Final Fight clones I have so far.

Sengoku seems to be universally hated so I’ll avoid that one.

It's inferior to Robo Army imo, but it depends how much you like to mash the buttons and how bad you want your SNK beat them ups to be Capcom-like.
Over time, I've come to actually prefer Burning Fight over Mutation Nation.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Robo Army got it right with the sound effects. Very satisfying metallic sounds when you punch and kick. The Crunch sound effect when hitting enemies can literally make or break a beat 'em up. If it doesn't have The Crunch then it's not worth playing.

The problem with Robo Army is it's just way too generic. Robo ape, hello Strider. Robo cop, huh where have I seen this idea before. SNK's character and enemy designs just could not compare to Capcom's.

I actually played through Robo Army a week ago. Completely serviceable but no thrills.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
I enjoy a lot of the visual design and little touches in Robo Army, like how you can destroy an enemy's upper half or transform into a vehicle. It definitely feels a little undercooked when it comes to gameplay, though.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
You guys are making me wanna check out Robo Army and Mutation Nation now. Dunno why I've slept on them for so long.

I still say Ninja Combat is a solid beat em up. Not the best but still fun. King of the Monsters 2 is fun except the final stage, the boss rush and final boss are lazy and take forever with a million credits. What a waste of time.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I checked out Robo Army and Mutation Nation.

So for Robo Army it seems alright, but kinda stiff and not all that much better than Ninja Combat. I think I do like it more than KOTM2 though.

As for Mutation Nation, wow that really is a great beat em up. Feels great to play, decent enemy patterns and good pacing. Also, maybe this is just me, but it looks and sounds amazing. This game has a really excellent art direction and the animation work feels leagues above other Neo Geo games of its age.

I can see why yagamikun will never part with his Mutation Nation.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Pretty much any of the horizontal shooters for me, otherwise games like Eight Man fit perfectly right in the middle.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
definitely Ghost Pilots, its not bad but not great at all. It's about a bland as a shooter can get. The Dog Tag release has some of the best box art on the system so it gets points for that

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
SNK and average in the same sentence?
Sacrilegious.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Every ADK game on the system is pretty mid to me, with maybe exceptions for Magician Lord, Blue's Journey, and Ninja Masters.