The most average Neo game you've played

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
Saturn Bomberman local multiplayer will probably never be beaten for fun factor.
I thought Bomberman 94 on TG16 was better. The zoomed out huge map on the large scale Saturn battle mode has an almost flash knockoff feel to it.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I would have to say the World Heroes games. They are not bad SFII clones for what they are. They just are not anything to write home about. Very middle of the road attempts. Although Jet and Perfect were better attempts, but by the time those came out the hype and hunger for Classic SFII gameplay had ended in the market so they were quickly not seen and forgotten.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I thought Bomberman 94 on TG16 was better. The zoomed out huge map on the large scale Saturn battle mode has an almost flash knockoff feel to it.

The 10 player mode is kinda useless past the initial novelty. You can’t see anything. It’s best at 8 player where can use the standard maps.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Guess I’m on Zeta’s ignore list then, fucker just said the same thing as me :kekeke:

Last edited:

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
Probably one of the soccer games, can't even be bothered to recall their names.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Probably one of the soccer games, can't even be bothered to recall their names.
Most average doesn't mean worst, doesn't mean game I most dislike. Super Sidekicks rules as a series, the only problem being SNK got greedy from 2 to U11 and only toned down the blatant coin robbery with Neo World Cup 98 which makes it the best in the series.

Soccer Brawl would be painfully mediocre but it's kinda saved by at least being playable and different than Pleasure Goal, that one is bland and average as fuck. Tecmo Soccer is just bad.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
distaste for futuristic sports games
they often are a poor attempt at a selling gimmick and yeah, Soccer Brawl illustrates that well. My "favorite" of these off the Neo is this one:

1686357303159.png

Some genius saw futuristic games with 2000, 3000, even 4000 on the title and thought "what about... Basebal Simulator 1000". WTF? And this even got a sequel on the SNES.

they often are a poor attempt at a selling gimmick and yeah, Soccer Brawl illustrates that well. My "favorite" of these off the Neo is this one:

View attachment 66029

Some genius saw futuristic games with 2000, 3000, even 4000 on the title and thought "what about... Basebal Simulator 1000". WTF? And this even got a sequel on the SNES.
That one is pretty funny watching the cpu vs cpu with custom teams

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Even though you're wrong, I agree with you. As a kid, my brain went to "Beep beep. I am Sports Bot 1000." And it was even from Culture Brain, as if to brag how smart the sports bot was.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection

View attachment 66029

That one aside, there were some fun futuristic sports games. Konami's Base Wars on the NES jumps to mind as actually a lot of fun. It's a robot baseball league with mostly normal baseball rules, but with all sorts of exotic turbo boosts and Blades of Steel-esque one on one brawls whenever there's a close play. Great party game.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
Another vote here for Aggressors of Dark Kombat. It's not terrible but no one really talks about it one way or the other. At least people remember World Heroes.

Man…I really love 2020. It’s a top five Neo game for me. It’s probably one of the reasons I’m still a Neo fan.
I'm going back a few pages to say that Super Baseball 2020 is a personal favorite of mine. I know Baseball Stars 2 outdoes it in gameplay, but I love all the futuristic trappings, the powerups, and the little robots doing backflips when they hit home runs. It was the Neo Geo game I played the most in arcades when I was a kid, and trying out the Super NES and Genesis versions made me a big picky nerd when I noticed the missing details.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Mutation Nation is a super average beat 'em up, but compared to most of the others on the system it seems good by comparison. Fuck Sengoku, for real

How does Mutation Nation stack between Ninja Combat (low bar) and Robot Army (medium to highish bar)? Those are the two Final Fight clones I have so far.

Sengoku seems to be universally hated so I’ll avoid that one.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
I think mutation nation is the best beat-em-up on the Neo. Sad but true. I think it's the only game that gets the bare minimum feel out of all beat-em-ups -- I haven't played Sengoku2/3 yet but Robo Army's gameplay is a bit looser and Burning Fight is just way off the mark alongside looking hopelessly generic. Sengoku 1 is the classic bad game you really want to like but can't, it's so charming but the gameplay sucks ASS.

What I'm trying to say is Mutation Nation is the only one that feels like a game you'd actually want to play.