The Holy Grail - Released To You: The Secrets of the Neo-Geo UNLOCKED!

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
That sales thread made it sound like neo development was shrouded in some sort of secrecy though. Any programmer can look at MAME source, mvstech.txt etc. and play with MAME's debugger and that's more than enough to get started. A serious homebrew developer would not be deterred by lack of a manual like we've seen already.

Couldn't said it better. All information needed are available since over 10 years now. The problem with NG development is that people want Metal Slug/Pulstar/Mark of the Wolves graphics. It requires quite some funding to do something like that. With selling 200 AES + 50 MVS carts at 399 EUR you can't make enough money from that.
Non commercial teams of 10 or more people are very difficulty to maintain too. The Pier Solar guys did it but there was a lot of drama and it took forever. NG games requires 4 times the GFX, it would be a nightmare.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Non commercial teams of 10 or more people are very difficulty to maintain too. The Pier Solar guys did it but there was a lot of drama and it took forever. NG games requires 4 times the GFX, it would be a nightmare.

Pfft, GETTING 10+ people together to work on something is hard enough as it is

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
NG:DEV: Fully agreed. A large tream with the financial remuneration not being there isn't worth it and you guys aren't doing this as arts projects but as working concerns.

One example: I am designing my own computer system for multiple usages. Main one is as a pinball computer for an unrepairable pinball machine. Weve gotten some 20 calls a day on this and there are maybe 17,000 of this pinball model out there, so there is a full market for it excited about it.

A one or two off deal using the same computer is as an airplane light advertising computer. I changed some of the specs to fit this project as well. Another use yet is for a video arcade game system I am designing which is based on an older unrelease game system I worked on many years ago...

so yup, if you can migrate your work across...more power!

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Mainly for the multiple-slot MVSs, sufficient playing instructions
cannot be described using an instruction card, as usually done for
other commercial machines. Therefore, there is a method to explain the
operations by displaying the playing instructions on the screen during
a game, instead of having an instruction card.
There are no restrictions on characters, etc. for the screen display
but limit the display time between 4-10 seconds, so that the play time
and demo time will not take too long. Also, have the option available
to be able to interrupt this display using the buttons.

I'd like to see various suggestions and requirements from console manuals that reflect the changing methods over the years. This would read "Begin the game with a long narrated tutorial" today.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
On the other side of the homebrew spectrum, you have Digger Man. XD

Looks like something out of some editor program for games like Gururin/Blue's Journey, sort of like all the SMB editor programs out there.

Last edited:

Nightmare Tony

I think I mentioned it in the other thread. The original Tera was a 286 based board and designed to be programmed in Borland Turbo C. It used some custom PLAs and the sound system was my contribute, 2 YM2203s, but set out in stereo with a speech d/a port. This was the system where I mentioned spending a week up at Doug's house and losing in the pinball bets. If you ever seen the arcade game Qix motherboard set, that was his design. (as a point of trivia, all hardware and software programming for Qix was done in Nocal, it is not a Japanese game whatsoever)

I found my schematics to it so I will post them eventually. One cannot build without the PLA code anyways.

Tera ][ is my own version. It is designed as a more generalized system. I also used the 65C02 because I am much more of a fan of that chip, I use it whenever I can. For example:

http://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc/Featured_Developer_1.cfm
I was developing an automated test fixture for a past job that sold DVD and TV entertainment systems for SUVs.

One main project I am working on right now is a pinball. There was the Bally home Fireball pinball series. They used a custom CPU which cannot be gotten today (F8 with embedded program sets). My concept is a piggyback board with a new CPU.
http://www.nightmarepark.com/6502/Pinball Mind/Fireball New CPU002.jpg
Here is my early test configuration. It will revamp into the newer system.

The newer system is designed as a more general axe and tool for things. The specs are as follows:
4 MHz 65C02
32K main program, 24K RAM
4 megs banked ROM 4 megs banked RAM
USB port
Pinout follows the WDC developer module pinout.
TIDE design capability.

So the end result is a fairly low cost general purpose system I can use for a wide variety of tasks. It won't handle high end polygon graphics games without some serious finagling and that is time I don't want to spend For the purposes I want, the pinball, the airplane controller, Tera ][, it is perfect.

There are some past game projects I still hope to bring to life. For example, Thunder Shifter. That was a Romstar redemption game that never saw the light of day. I had a full wiring using our poker boards and a test fixturing made and some code done (which is lost, unfortuantely). I still have my notes about the puppy though and I got some new ideas towards. it. It is a non-video novelty ticket dispensing game.

I do have an arcade I've been working the past 11 years as a test bed so that is where it is scheduled to test at first. It is located at an amusement park in Orange County.

racer445

n00b
just chiming in here to say thanks for this! i passed this on to some of my coder buddies and they enjoyed reading it.

Nightmare Tony

Am hoping it can spur new development which is a win for everyone...Hope you enjoy reading it yourself. And as a newbie, welcome!

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
Wow, come back after a while to come across this. Thanks for sharing. Now to start reading.....

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member

Nice find!

NG02s.jpg

I can think of first party examples of where they broke rules 1, 2, 5, & 6.....and maybe 3 also (as well as breaking the spirit of rule for #4).....and 3 or 4 of those instances are in Samurai Shodown 2 alone! :D

Last edited:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
the thought of trying to program a game in assembly hurts my head.

Didn't come here for a while, nice to see they are still rare finds !

Very nice..... so whats it all mean.

Is the world going to end now...?

It sure gives geesebumps !!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Hell I'd try putting that NG Technical Specification to good use, however I do not know where to start with doing actual 68k assembly. All sorts of tech documents on hardware, but so far I haven't found anything on the software side of things. Anyone know of good places to start with writing code? I'm eager to give it a try, assembly doesn't really seem all that hard. It just looks complicated at first, with time it'd become easier.

Nightmare Tony

Cristoph, of interest, that is my biggest contribution is that entire set was that chapter.... :) Also, anything written before the American version would not have that chapter. It was more for new US programmers, I guess....

Heavy machine gun: look around for machines that use the 68K. For example, look for enthusiast groups that program the original mac or the amiga...

Last edited:
Link broken

The link to download the file is broke, could someone plz upload it again, i didn`t download yet

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I guess I found this 12 years too late, but does anyone have this document?

ok, nevermind I think I found it 2 post up!

Last edited: