The Holy Grail - Released To You: The Secrets of the Neo-Geo UNLOCKED!

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I love how it's just "MVS" or "Neo-Geo" for [home]. No other stupid made up acronyms that people for some reason continue to use.

If you really want to get technical and exact there WAS an acronym that SNK used. It's been right there on the front of all the manuals "ROM cartridge". This was even used on there website when they would post release scheduals which were labeled as "MVS' for the arcade/pro field and "Neo Geo ROM Home Cartridge release". I may still have printouts of some of those web pages by SNK USA from the 99 to 2000 period but I am not sure at this time.
I believe that was the only moniker that was ever truly given to the format software by the mothership.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm going to print a hard copy of this and bind it.

TonK and Mr. Anonymous, you guys rock!

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
Tonk and the mysterious people who have given him the info, deserve heaven!!!

Truly thanks, guys.

Hope this is a beginning for some Neo-Geo scene.

NeoTurfMasta, I guess we'll really need the Neo Cart with SD slot...

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Wow, I'm surprised it is just now being released in the wild.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Thanks Tonk + those who made it possible! :eek:

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I don't understand page 110 of the PDF... "The communicatin function is not included as the basic function of the HARD DRIVE!!??!?!?!"... "but it becomes possible by adding a communication board to the CASSETTE SIDE!?!?!?"

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
I guess cassette is the cartridge.... think in the Riding Hero comms port.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I don't understand page 110 of the PDF... "The communicatin function is not included as the basic function of the HARD DRIVE!!??!?!?!"... "but it becomes possible by adding a communication board to the CASSETTE SIDE!?!?!?"

Communication function can only be used if a comm board is in the cart itself, it's basically saying that the main board does not have a built in comm port.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
This is superb awesome.

If there are more homebrew devs in the scene, it could mean a drop in price for homebrew games as well.

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
Big thanks to Tonk for letting this one roll out.

Xian: correct, the comm chip is built in the cartridge and it also reads the dipswitch on the main board for the cart id. On the dev cart pix, it is the 40 pin chip.

Clessy

Banned
I thought we where not supposed to upload this once he gave it to us.... Then again I never asked what we where allowed to do with it.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
*really* thanks guys, hail to you.

btw pag 122:

Nam 2020
Quiz Big Search
Hyper Baseball

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
btw pag 122:

Nam 2020
Quiz Big Search
Hyper Baseball

Yes, I noted those as well.
These are merely hypothetical. (examples) used by the author in sections of the manual where a title has to be inserted into a description. But they are clearly plays on actual game names.

It does make it clear however where to insert and locate the game codes on the software. I like that quite a bit.

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
One can get antsy when doing a large project. One game manuals I worked on years previously for the Apple 2, I started going apeshit with things about horses and payola. Don't ask me why cause I still don't know...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's silly this has taken so long to reach the surface. You can get similar material for modern consoles already.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Yes, I noted those as well.
These are merely hypothetical. (examples) used by the author in sections of the manual where a title has to be inserted into a description. But they are clearly plays on actual game names.

It does make it clear however where to insert and locate the game codes on the software. I like that quite a bit.

IIRC those were the tentative titles used in the earlier price lists.

I mean it's not the first time I read those titles.

I'll try to dig some pic later in the week..