The Evil Within: New horror game by Shinji Mikami

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
The other thing I really like is how the safe zone/save point plays Debussy's "Clair De Lune" indefinitely. A duet version with piano and violin. And for that I can forgive alot of things about the game that bug me right now. I'll see this through to the end.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
So in playing this game, I have a few thoughts. I'm not going to be as detailed about this as I was with Alien: Isolation because, quite frankly, it's not nearly as good or provocative in my opinion. It's not a shit game, though.

-I hate the letterbox play view.

-I am really tired of chainsaw enemies. It's beyond played out. Stop it, already.

-The sprint meter is frustrating. It doesn't cause the good kind of tension this game is relying on.

-The aim is really shitty. Why does the reticule move so much? Did this guy blow his way to a promotion?

-The characters aren't interesting at all. I don't have any idea what the story is about and I don't care right now. Some may argue that 'it might make sense later', but that doesn't matter to me. The narrative isn't engaging as of chapter 4 and that's a problem.

-The stealth action is weak. You are given things to hide behind and hide inside of, and it's certainly of benefit to you if you use it and stealth kill, but it's just tedious and dull sneaking around in this game.

-The voice acting is uninspired at best and really bad at worst.

-The game looks really washed out. I know that some may like this sort of thing, but I don't.

There's good stuff, too:

-The item upgrade system is kinda neat, and you are rewarded for stealth kills and foraging by getting your upgrades more quickly.

-The upgrades seem to make an immediate impact, which is nice.

-The agony crossbow and bolt system is pretty fun to fuck around with. Lots of creative ways to kill your enemies with it.

-The environments are not linear. While there are still zones and no backtracking that I can see, you are given enough freedom to navigate a level the way you want to.

-The music and lighting are really good.

-There are a number of subtle nods to Resident Evil, and as a fan of that series, I appreciated Mikami putting them in.

-You are rewarded for headshot kills more often than not.

So far, I'd give the game a thumbs up. It's not perfect, but it's overall pretty decent.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
So in playing this game, I have a few thoughts. I'm not going to be as detailed about this as I was with Alien: Isolation because, quite frankly, it's not nearly as good or provocative in my opinion. It's not a shit game, though.

-I hate the letterbox play view.

-I am really tired of chainsaw enemies. It's beyond played out. Stop it, already.

-The sprint meter is frustrating. It doesn't cause the good kind of tension this game is relying on.

-The aim is really shitty. Why does the reticule move so much? Did this guy blow his way to a promotion?

-The characters aren't interesting at all. I don't have any idea what the story is about and I don't care right now. Some may argue that 'it might make sense later', but that doesn't matter to me. The narrative isn't engaging as of chapter 4 and that's a problem.

-The stealth action is weak. You are given things to hide behind and hide inside of, and it's certainly of benefit to you if you use it and stealth kill, but it's just tedious and dull sneaking around in this game.

-The voice acting is uninspired at best and really bad at worst.

-The game looks really washed out. I know that some may like this sort of thing, but I don't.

There's good stuff, too:

-The item upgrade system is kinda neat, and you are rewarded for stealth kills and foraging by getting your upgrades more quickly.

-The upgrades seem to make an immediate impact, which is nice.

-The agony crossbow and bolt system is pretty fun to fuck around with. Lots of creative ways to kill your enemies with it.

-The environments are not linear. While there are still zones and no backtracking that I can see, you are given enough freedom to navigate a level the way you want to.

-The music and lighting are really good.

-There are a number of subtle nods to Resident Evil, and as a fan of that series, I appreciated Mikami putting them in.

-You are rewarded for headshot kills more often than not.

So far, I'd give the game a thumbs up. It's not perfect, but it's overall pretty decent.

Would you recommend somebody put their name in a hat for a drawing of the game?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

Damn near exactly what I've been thinking. I'm loving this game, but it's definitely not without it's faults. Aiming and the letter box format doesn't really bother me. I do have a few more things to add that do bother me though. I'm on PS3 btw.

I hate cheap Deaths and this game has them.

Frame rate stutters a bit too much and its really jarring sometimes. Can get you killed.

Screen tearing all over the place. (I have never in my life really payed any mind to this sort of thing until this game. Its prevalent)

Weird texture pop ins. (Another thing I have never really noticed or cared about until this game)

Not enough penalty for death. There isn't a lot of tension when after you get killed, you just start right back at the last checkpoint a few minutes or even seconds ago.

That's about it. I'm only on chapter 5 but so far I really like this game.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Would you recommend somebody put their name in a hat for a drawing of the game?

I think that it's a good enough game to play through. I don't know if it's good enough to keep. We'll see.

EDIT: I *AM* giving away a brand new copy of Alien: Isolation on the platform of the winner's choice and that game is awesome. Make sure you check the thread out if you're interested.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I think that it's a good enough game to play through. I don't know if it's good enough to keep. We'll see.

EDIT: I *AM* giving away a brand new copy of Alien: Isolation on the platform of the winner's choice and that game is awesome. Make sure you check the thread out if you're interested.

lol I thought you were giving away a copy of evil within. Wow, my joke fails pretty hard now.

So Evil Within - Steam sale grab, at least?

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
If the washed out look bothers you, turn off the grain filter. It definitely improves the visuals. I know it takes away from the way they intended for the game to be presented, but it will likely make it better for the majority of players. Also I dont quite understand the complaints about the character being underpowered and having bad aim. Its intentionally done that way. I know some may say it takes away from the enjoyment, but all of the things that are being complained about like the stamina and the aiming....these all can be improved as you progress into the game.

Magician

20 Year Member
Just began chapter five. The introduction of invisible enemies is a nice touch. There's nothing like seeing a piece of environment move without something visibly touching it. I just start melee attacking all over the place, not knowing if I'll hit something.

lol

The last couple chapters were more enjoyable than the first two.

The letterboxing is still unforgivable.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
lol I thought you were giving away a copy of evil within. Wow, my joke fails pretty hard now.

So Evil Within - Steam sale grab, at least?

It's hard for me to say whether or not the game is worth buying (even though I bought it because of Mikami) in any objective sense because I haven't finished it yet. I can only say that the first three+ chapters haven't completely engaged me to this point. As I'm doing a running commentary, my opinion may change as I progress through more of this game and I may decide that it just had a rocky start. Or not.

So right now, I'd say to wait for a price drop or rent it or something. That's just my .02.

But if you're interested in my running commentary on this as a source to help you determine whether not to get this game, keep watching this space. I'll be done with it soon enough.

One thing I will definitely say is that you should NOT buy this if you're looking for an alternative to Resident Evil 4, 5 or 6. This game, while closely resembling 4 the most out of the three, isn't really all that much like it. Resident Evil has a fun shooting gallery aspect to it, whereas this game limits that and goes for tension in favor of a more suspenseful motif.

demo:

Thanks for the tip on the filter.

As for the aiming and the stamina, I can understand when you say 'it's meant to be that way', but that doesn't mean that it's automatically excusable for my part.

This is a case where those are things I don't like about the game, and I think they make the experience less fun.

I've heard the argument for years that 'games are tough to control in order to amplify the theme' but I've never accepted that argument. And there are plenty of good games with strong themes that don't hamstring your control or frustrate you in order to achieve that end.

I respect that you feel differently, but I don't feel as though these elements of the game enhance the experience. They make it more annoying to me. And in a game based on atmosphere and tension, when I become annoyed with the mechanics, the game is losing me and all that atmosphere and tension ends up meaning less.

Last edited:

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
This is a case where those are things I don't like about the game, and I think they make the experience less fun.

I respect that you feel differently, but I don't feel as though these elements of the game enhance the experience. They make it more annoying to me. And in a game based on atmosphere and tension, when I become annoyed with the mechanics, the game is losing me and all that atmosphere and tension ends up meaning less.

You sir, are a true gentleman. I was actually in the process of typing up a response saying I hope my post didnt come off as confrontational because I definitely respect your feelings about it. And when I look at it objectively I do 100% understand how "crippling" a main character in the sake of producing false tension or to make you feel accomplished in improving them over time can detract from the overall experience.

Also if any of you are playing on PC, the letterboxing can be disabled completely. I have no idea why this option wasnt included in the home console versions.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Played this for a little bit today while over at my brothers house on his pc. Only did the first couple chapters and thought it was pretty cool, the death scenes were very nice. However for some reason it kept the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen the entire time no matter what I did to the video setting. Is there some way to make this game play in true full screen as those bars just bugged me and I never got used to them.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I've had the game installed since yesterday.. but still haven't gotten to play yet. Will get a chance to either Sunday or Monday. Not as excited as I was with Alien Isolation, but I do enjoy survival-horror games. So far it's just the letterbox everyone keeps mentioning that's bugging me.

Magician

20 Year Member
The game isn't bad, it's just pedestrian. I'm a third of way through (assuming there're 14 or 15 chapters) and I haven't been scared once, not a single damn "boo-ahhhhhhhh" moment. I also don't find the atmosphere all that tense either as most enemies can be circle strafed into oblivion. Even the prepackaged mob assaults are easily managed by repositioning yourself from the crowd of enemies and using the copious number of traps placed within each level.

I'm playing through it because I paid good money and I intend to get my money's worth. But I constantly feel the desire to stop playing because I'm just not having alot of fun. That means it's more than, "it's just not for me". It means that there're major flaws throughout the experience. There's still alot of game left to play through here, but how this got online review scores of 8/10, 9/10, and 10/10 (seriously, wtf) baffles me.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The game isn't bad, it's just pedestrian. I'm a third of way through (assuming there're 14 or 15 chapters) and I haven't been scared once, not a single damn "boo-ahhhhhhhh" moment. I also don't find the atmosphere all that tense either as most enemies can be circle strafed into oblivion. Even the prepackaged mob assaults are easily managed by repositioning yourself from the crowd of enemies and using the copious number of traps placed within each level.

I have to agree with this sentiment.

I don't really feel any creepy sense of tension or anxiety from this game at all. And I think the problem is that it's because I have no context for any of the locations in the game, the enemies in question or their design/look or any aspect of the narrative whatsoever.

I'm starting to think that they designed the set pieces and environments first because they thought half collapsed and run down gothic locations (and hospitals) are 'scary' environments because that's supposed to be scary.

Then they decided to make the characters detectives because, you know, cops, and they couldn't put a cohesive narrative together that had it all make sense.

So they plugged in a generic psychological horror story where things don't have to make sense or be in any cohesive order because it's all someone's psychosis and nothing has to have any structure. It'll get told in pieces and you can put it all together later.

So much effort went into the art design and I don't really care about any of it. I'm completely apathetic to all of the atmospheric elements of the game.

What I'm left with is an action-horror shooter where I'm killing nondescript and uninteresting monsters in a combat engine that isn't good enough to make up for the underwhelming aspects of the game.

I've just come across some asshole with a box on his head, and I already know he's going to be yet another Pyramidhead clone. Which is another problem with this game: it's reliance on boss encounters. When there is only one way out of a corner and you know what it is, the scenario becomes an exercise in trial and error. Tension gone. For a horror game, that's a failure.

This game is something like 'Resident Evil 4 meets Silent Hill 2', but it's not nearly as effective as either one of them.

This is, exactly as Magician put it, a pedestrian effort. And I think the reason for this is because they worried too much about turning off gamers by not giving them enough of the type of agency they're used to: blasting their way through everything.

Mikami said that he believed the key to a survival horror experience was creating something intimidating while striking a balance to find some way to give the player the tools they need to overcome the challenge. I don't think he's struck a very good balance here.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Is it better than RE6?

RE 6 has a top notch combat engine that makes the game worth playing despite everything else I hate about it. That, in and of itself, makes it fun to play.

This is all just very bland to me. Nothing is really impressing me here. Some of it's good, some of it's bad, and it's all just evening out to create a wholly average experience.

I will still fire up RE 6 once in a while to play Mercenaries.

I can't see myself ever loading this game up again once I'm done with it.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
I agree with most of everything here. Gotta ask, did you guys use that code included with the game? "Survival pack" Did it help at all?
I am at Chapter 3.... too many cheap deaths and you are boned with melee combat.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I agree with most of everything here. Gotta ask, did you guys use that code included with the game? "Survival pack" Did it help at all?
I am at Chapter 3.... too many cheap deaths and you are boned with melee combat.

I used mine. It helped out.

I rarely have to use melee combat in this game. It's really your last resort. Traps, fire and explosives are the way to go in this one. Or stealth.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
I used mine. It helped out.

I rarely have to use melee combat in this game. It's really your last resort. Traps, fire and explosives are the way to go in this one. Or stealth.

Taiso, I would lure a live zombie over to me and burn his buddy on the floor when he is near by and nothing happens, do they just have to be both on the floor? I am at the part where I am letting the doctor be a decoy. Silent hill2/Resident Evil 4 was the perfect way to describe this game. I like it, I will keep it, but after I am done with it...possibly will not touch again.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Taiso, I would lure a live zombie over to me and burn his buddy on the floor when he is near by and nothing happens, do they just have to be both on the floor? I am at the part where I am letting the doctor be a decoy. Silent hill2/Resident Evil 4 was the perfect way to describe this game. I like it, I will keep it, but after I am done with it...possibly will not touch again.

I've seen it work all kinds of ways: bodies stacked, one standing and one down when I throw the match, one moving through the burning body of the other and becoming immolated. I don't really have any advice for you. I'm far from an expert with this game engine.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I've not been able to burn someone without them A. Being on the ground, or B. hitting with a torch. I'm not too far into the game myself, only at about where you're at with the letting the doctor be the decoy, but I'm enjoying it so far. The only really tense part so far has been running from the chainsaw enemy in the opening Chapter.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
That was definitely the most tense moment in the game so far. Just like the first Silent Hill when your confused and powerless and then the next thing you know your running for your life.

Also, I'm really digging the boss fights. Each one so far has been well integrated into both the plot and the game play mechanics. Like a cross between a RE4 boss and a Silent Hill boss.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I managed to get in some brief gameplay. Completed the 1st chapter & then turned off my PC. It was "ok"(made me think of Manhunt). I'll finish the game this weekend but know that once I beat it I'll unistall & not bother with again(at least not for a long time)

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I just beat the game (typing this as the credits play in the background) if there's one major gripe it'd be that there's nothing really new here as far as gameplay, but I still had a hell of a fun time, Shinji Mikami knows how to put a game together

Oh and I will admit the one hit kill enemies had a tendency to get frustrating after killing me over and over again