The Evil Within: New horror game by Shinji Mikami

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
the_evil_within_08018_screen.jpg

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/19/shinji-mikamis-new-game-is-the-evil-within

Coming in 2014 on current and next-gen consoles.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Was up late last night and started to stay up just see this. Can't wait.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
...0_0!...makes you wonder how RE can still be called survival horror. That trailer made me cringe...

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
This looks like the horror game I've been waiting for. Amazing!

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
how come those monster design reminds me of "Shadow of the Damned"??

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I was gonna mention the Shadow of the Damned resemblance. Looks like a mix between SotD, Silent Hill and RE4.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Reminds me of SNK's Koudelka for some reason.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I was gonna mention the Shadow of the Damned resemblance. Looks like a mix between SotD, Silent Hill and RE4.

I'm wondering if it will be more survival horror or action based gameplay.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Bump, I suppose, since game is out today. Anyone get it yet? Reviews are all over the place, with a sizeable number saying that the game is flat-out unfair much of the time, with broken stealth, horrible combat, and super-limited ammo. A few like the story and say it's creepy and nerve-wracking and makes you think, and others say it's stupid, predictable, and has a terrible protagonist.

Yeah.

I have my preorder paid off, pretty torn on whether or not to pick it up or move the money to something else. I generally suck at survival horror, but I'll probably wonder what I'm missing.

Thoughts? Impressions?

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
My digital version unlocked at 11pm last night but I sacked out before trying it.

I plan to enjoy a few bottles of Moose Drool brown ale and play it all night.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
It's downloaded on my PC at home but I probably won't get a chance to play it until this weekend :(

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Grabbing it during my 4 hour break with school today. I'm excited for this one!

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I picked mine up this morning, but read the Joystiq review which basically talked about what I was worried might happen to this game. I think I'll just bring it back and put the money towards Bayonetta 2 so that I can save a little cash for next month's onslaught of titles.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Played a few hours, up to chapter three now. How about first impressions. Keeping expectations low was the right mindset. The first couple chapters are average gaming at best.

The graphics are good, not great, for a cross-gen game. The art design is my favorite part of the game so far, enemy design and level design are both pretty great. Sadly, everything else is kinda meh. Gameplay is not good; the character you play as turns slowly and sprinting is limited by stamina. Thankfully, trash mobs aren't intelligent and can be circle-strafed easily, unless they're using firearms.

The game has good atmosphere but isn't scary at all thus far. Enemies have basic patrol patterns, so taking enemies out with stealth kills to conserve ammo is an option. Probably the preferred option since any and all ammo is rare. Save ammo for mobs that use firearms and bosses.

My main problem with The Evil Within is the fact that the game is displayed in letterbox format. Black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. This widens the field of view and ups the resolution. Again...sadly, this makes viewing the immediate area from behind cover difficult. In a game where peeking around corners to track enemies as a vital component to survival, narrowing the vertical field of view is a serious detriment to the experience.

The game isn't scary.

The gameplay is boring.

Playing in letterbox feels claustrophobic.

I'm mildly annoyed with The Evil Within so far.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Played a few hours, up to chapter three now. How about first impressions. Keeping expectations low was the right mindset. The first couple chapters are average gaming at best.

The graphics are good, not great, for a cross-gen game. The art design is my favorite part of the game so far, enemy design and level design are both pretty great. Sadly, everything else is kinda meh. Gameplay is not good; the character you play as turns slowly and sprinting is limited by stamina. Thankfully, trash mobs aren't intelligent and can be circle-strafed easily, unless they're using firearms.

The game has good atmosphere but isn't scary at all thus far. Enemies have basic patrol patterns, so taking enemies out with stealth kills to conserve ammo is an option. Probably the preferred option since any and all ammo is rare. Save ammo for mobs that use firearms and bosses.

My main problem with The Evil Within is the fact that the game is displayed in letterbox format. Black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. This widens the field of view and ups the resolution. Again...sadly, this makes viewing the immediate area from behind cover difficult. In a game where peeking around corners to track enemies as a vital component to survival, narrowing the vertical field of view is a serious detriment to the experience.

The game isn't scary.

The gameplay is boring.

Playing in letterbox feels claustrophobic.

I'm mildly annoyed with The Evil Within so far.

if only you could play as Sam Fisher

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Just got home from picking up my copy. Haven't popped it in yet but now I'm starting to get worried.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Im actually thoroughly enjoying this. The letterbox presentation is a bit jarring at first, and while definitely always noticeable, it isnt distracting. Your character is definitely underpowered and slow at first, but as you progress you can increase your stamina and such using the green gel. I do think it suffers from the same issue I had with Batman Arkham Asylum though, and that is I feel like I am going to artificially extend the length of the game by exclusively moving in stealth with the lantern. But then again, thats not always going to be possible because there are enemies that you absolutely have to engage or run from. Also these things can follow you in rooms and arent always guaranteed to be dead unless burnt, which adds dread when you down one and still need to explore the area.

I dont find the game scary per se, but I definitely find it tense and disturbing.