The E3 2018 Shitstravaganza!!

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I had tried to play Tales of Zestiria, but there is a bug that can make the game unplayable. It has tutorials during gameplay and the game expects you to follow them correctly. As an example, when you find an item or gain a power that has new controls, those controls unlock during the tutorial. For this, the game will say to use this specific attack, but what it means is that the action it wants you to perform MUST be on the enemy that is on the screen when the tutorial starts. If you do not finish the tutorial as the game expects, you will be stuck in tutorial mode forever with no way to exit.

For example, I gain an ability and there is a two (or perhaps more steps, idk) process to the tutorial. Do this one thing (done), do this second thing (can't be done). And the reason why the second thing couldn't be done is because the monster that I was fighting had died after the first step. Then I was stuck in tutorial mode, but the game is not clear on this. You only notice because you can enter battles with other monsters later on, but you do no damage to them, or to you. Everything else works the same in the game and you can progress story through conversation or finding items. But you cannot enter a battle... Specifically because the tutorial system will not allow you to exit the battle.

So I do not recommend Tales of Zestiria.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Xillia or Berseria would be a good start.

I think Zistiria might be appreciated more if played after Berseria.

Symphonia and Vesperia might also be good but I haven't played them yet.

Generally, if you can get past the weebo shit (and it WILL annoy you), you would enjoy the gameplay and RPG aspect of the games (characters building, side quests, completion lists .... Etc)

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
It's multiplatform.

That's good to hear. Every article I looked at "said XBone exclusive" but, they actually were all updated to include Switch, PS4, and PC.

On the bug thing...there was another one on a port of Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2, in the US...we never got the actual Destiny 2) for PSP. The only way to avoid it was to either not use a specific Mystic Art ever or, get a rare version of the game with a specific firmware version.

Jon

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I've never played a Tales game. Worth it? Where do I start? The PS1 game?
All the Tales games are pretty much standalone. I've never played Vesperia, but supposedly it is the best. I have the anime which really surprised me with how good it was; it's nearly on the level of Lodoss War. Anyway, after that you have Symphonia on GC which edges out Berseria, then there's a dropoff to Abyss, then everything else. If you are on PS4, I'd say start with Berseria... the directing in that game is unreal, from about 30 minutes in until the endgame it flows as smoothly as any RPG I've ever played. The endgame feels tacked on, but it's optional anyway.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Elder Scrolls 6 is now officially a thing, but likely still a while off.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
All the Tales games are pretty much standalone.

There is Xillia 2, plus Berseria being loosly connected to Zistiria as a distant prequel to it. That's why I think playing Berseria first would give you a better understanding of what's going on in Zistiria's world.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
It's been a weak E3 so far, announcements of announcements. Hopefully Sony deliver the goods, praying for a REmake 2 reveal.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Thanks for the Tales advice. Good to know they're mostly standalone games.

It's been a weak E3 so far, announcements of announcements. Hopefully Sony deliver the goods, praying for a REmake 2 reveal.

I'm thinking this is the grunting deathfart of the current gen. Sony and MS are going to rush to announce new platforms next year. I figured this wouldn't happen until 2020, but after a pretty pathetic showing, it's probably going to be 2019.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
That kingdom hearts 3 PS4 looks pretty good though.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Wow, the Nintendo Direct was garbage. Unless you're one of the Smash assholes.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
So was there a classic n64 update or no???? Google tells me nothing dammit!!!!

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Nintendo rolling out a shit sandwich. Same old Fire Emblem, same old Smash. Theres no way they are going to shift more Switch units off the back of Fortnite. Lazy fucks.

Resident Evil 2 and Hokuto ga Gotoku were my favourite announcements, RE2 in particular looked out of this world. I've watched the trailer about five times and it has completely shattered my expectations. Capcom redeemed.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
First gen that I only have 1 console. Im aging or its all going to shit.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Pumped for Smash.

All characters from all previous games are back, so over 60 not including pallette swaps like all the Koopa Kids, Alph, Daisy, etc. All DLC characters from Smash 4 are now included as well. And new characters like Ridley and the Splatoon Inklings.

Can't wait to see what surprise characters are in this time. Hopefully Bomberman or Terry Bogard or Simon Belmont or Ryu Hayabusa.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
E3 sucks. Every company shows off a bunch of footage that won't be representative of the actual game that won't come out until 2-5 years later. The only reason anyone covers it is because their competitors do.

Given how bad several different presentations were this year, maybe more companies will pull out in the future and put the thing out of its misery.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Pumped for Smash.

All characters from all previous games are back, so over 60 not including pallette swaps like all the Koopa Kids, Alph, Daisy, etc. All DLC characters from Smash 4 are now included as well. And new characters like Ridley and the Splatoon Inklings.

Can't wait to see what surprise characters are in this time. Hopefully Bomberman or Terry Bogard or Simon Belmont or Ryu Hayabusa.

Im happy with the smash announcement, Ridley being finally playable was awesome. I don't think Bomberman will be in the game as a character since he's an assist trophy, and my hopes of a waluigi were dashed when I saw he was an assist also.

Random third party characters? I'd say Rayman, Simon Belmont, and Crash Bandicoot would be my top picks.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Fuck Nintendo no Classic N64 not even any Labo I hate you Nintendo why you torture me like this fucking Nintendo bunch of jerks

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Also I'll say that Smash Bros hasn't been interesting since Melee no one wants to play as Inkling Boy there I said it, ok