The battle of the Century! Super Street Fighter 2 vs Samurai Shodown 2

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Akuma is definitely the best, he's banned in all tournaments for that reason. Claw is hands down the best character, followed by Dhalsim and Boxer.
Who do you mean by "Claw" and "Boxer"- Vega and Balrog? (the English names for those fighters in SSF2T). I thought Vega/Claw was always the weakest, or one of the weakest fighters in the SF2 games (except for The World Warrior, where he is a boss). Dhalsim is possibly next best in all the SF2's after Guile (except in SSF2T, where both Guile and Dhalsim are weakened a lot from previous games). Balrog had some very powerful punches in the arcade SF2CE, but apart from that I don't know that he would be in the top four fighters in any of the SF2 games.

Just like the Neo layout, SF is playable using just the thumb and three fingers. To Raging Demon, you only need three: use your index finger for LP, then ring on HP, and thumb on LK.
Sure, there are no moves in the SF series that need more than 3 buttons pressed simultaneously (as far as I know). But it's not like the Neo, where you can have a finger hovering over each button, all of the time.

Last edited:

miamijoe

New Challenger
No doubt samurai shodown 2 it has better graphics and story line and the game plays well. To this day it's one of my favorite games.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I always liked Samurai Shodown 2 and tried to compare it with Super Street Fighter 2. Sometimes I found it better, sometimes not. I was always afraid that characters holding weapons are just graphics.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Garou MOTW > 3rd Strike, yes.
The reason Third Strike is considered to be better is the parry system. In SFIII, the parrying system requires you to push forward on the joystick as you parry. So it's more challenging to do than the "Just Defend" in Garou. It also gives you more benefits in terms of being able to counterattack any special attack/super art (which I'm not is the case with Garou). So it's more of a risk/reward thing. it's probably the better system overall, for high level play. But the Garou parry is easier to pull off, so you don't have to have two experts playing against each other.

I always liked Samurai Shodown 2 and tried to compare it with Super Street Fighter 2. Sometimes I found it better, sometimes not. I was always afraid that characters holding weapons are just graphics.
Samurai Shodown 2 is better in some ways than SSF2, maybe the graphics are better, probably character balance is better. You don't have one character totally dominating, like Guile (and Ryu and Ken) dominates in SSF2. Super SF2 was just an incomplete version of Super SF2 Turbo (which was missing some features Capcom had originally intended to have, like eight new characters instead of four). Capcom released SSF2 in rush, because they wanted to show off the new CPS2 hardware. SSF2T is the real Super Street Fighter II.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
The reason Third Strike is considered to be better is the parry system. In SFIII, the parrying system requires you to push forward on the joystick as you parry. So it's more challenging to do than the "Just Defend" in Garou. It also gives you more benefits in terms of being able to counterattack any special attack/super art (which I'm not is the case with Garou). So it's more of a risk/reward thing. it's probably the better system overall, for high level play. But the Garou parry is easier to pull off, so you don't have to have two experts playing against each other.

Samurai Shodown 2 is better in some ways than SSF2, maybe the graphics are better, probably character balance is better. You don't have one character totally dominating, like Guile (and Ryu and Ken) dominates in SSF2. Super SF2 was just an incomplete version of Super SF2 Turbo (which was missing some features Capcom had originally intended to have, like eight new characters instead of four). Capcom released SSF2 in rush, because they wanted to show off the new CPS2 hardware. SSF2T is the real Super Street Fighter II.
Ok let's compare then Samurai Shodown 2 with Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

carnage6

n00b
The complexity of the control scheme in SS2 makes it way better than SF2 in my opinion. SS2 is my favorite game of all time.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Who do you mean by "Claw" and "Boxer"- Vega and Balrog? (the English names for those fighters in SSF2T).

Claw is green character with orange hair.

Boxer is the big guy with beard and red trunks.

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
SamSho 2 has the better graphics hands down it's Neo Geo so yea but SF2 has better and deeper gameplay tho, i myself rather play SamSho 2.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Yeah it gets confusing, why didn't they just call him cyclops instead of boxer...As for claw i guess that works but i always called him monkey boy growing up.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Since we're already talking about graphics, I wonder why Capcom only chose to redraw 2 stages in Super/Super Turbo and not all of them? Actually, only Ken's stage looks markedly different (Blanka's is missing a layer of parallax, and the snake in the tree animates.)

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Claw is green character with orange hair.

Boxer is the big guy with beard and red trunks.
Why not just call them Blanka and Sagat? Who calls them Claw and Boxer? Aren't they called Blanka and Sagat in the Japanese versions of SF2?
No way is Blanka the strongest character after Akuma in SSF2T. Blanka was always one of the weaker characters (no fireball or dragon punch special move, no throw), that's why they made him stronger in Champion and Turbo.

Zangief, on the other hand, you can easily argue he's at least in the top four fighters, especially if an expert is controlling him, or you're using a joystick (rather than a controller), which makes it much easier to do the Spinning Piledriver. Guile, Ryu and Ken are weakened in SSF2T, which makes it much easier to argue Zangief is one of the best in that game.

Sagat was always one of the better characters if the SF2 series (especially in SF2CE and SF2T, where his Tiger Uppercut had instant knockdown, unlike the Dragon Punch, and there was the overlooked Tiger Knee move as well).

Last edited:

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Why not just call them Blanka and Zangief.
No way is Blanka the strongest character after Akuma in SSF2T. Blanka was always one of the weaker characters (no fireball or dragon punch special move, no throw), that's why they made him stronger in Champion and Turbo.

Zangief, on the other hand, you can easily argue he's at least in the top four fighters, especially if an expert is controlling him, or you're using a joystick (rather than a controller), which makes it much easier to do the Spinning Piledriver. Guile, Ryu and Ken are weakened in SSF2T, which makes it much easier to argue Zangief is one of the best in that game.

I agree Zangief is easily a top character in SF2 especially ST. He has no bad matchups & does well against Akuma.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Why not just call them Blanka and Sagat? In which region are they called Claw and Boxer? Aren't they called Blanka and Sagat in the Japanese versions of SF2?

Blanka and Sagat aren't Claw and Boxer. XD

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Why not just call them Blanka and Sagat? Who calls them Claw and Boxer? Aren't they called Blanka and Sagat in the Japanese versions of SF2?

In which region does Saget have a mohawk?

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
The only time Saget had a mohawk is Thai version of SF2, he was known as Magua. He still had his other eye in that version too.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

Parry is a high level tech that makes the game extremely difficult to play for noobs. On top of this dealing with lag is quite the feat cause to have to give up your defense to parry, so if you can't get a grip on what the input delay, game speed, or frame dropping is doing all you end up doing is taking unecessary risks. Because of this many novice players won't even parry which kills a major portion of the game.

Unlike parry just defend is easy to get into, works easier on lag since you aren't sacrificing much to try it, and has a level that is good for novices and has different ways to go about using it depending on how to use it and the T.O.P. system together. Use the T.O.P. at the beginning if you want to be more agressive. T.O.P. at the end is more defensive making more easier comebacks since you can regain life even faster with both working at the same time.

Now I can also bring up the unbalanced 3rd Strike that has most online players and Garou players really don't main the top tier (Gato, Kevin, B. Jenet) let alone the favorite character being used is the lowest tier (Rock). Also other techs like fake moves or move breaking which is a lot harder to master then ex moves for the arguement of 3rd Strike is deeper.