The 1990 game selection - Your favorites?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I'd like to know everyone's opinion on that year. Here is what was available, using the old Master List.

Baseball Stars Professional
Cyber-Lip
Magician Lord
NAM 1975
Ninja Combat
Top Player's Golf

Out of all of the 1990 games, I have extensively played Baseball Stars Pro, Mag Lord, Cyber Lip, Ninja Combat, and TPG. The only other game for which I am actively looking is Nam 1975 (played it a bit but have never owned a copy). I would like to check out Crossed Swords and Blue's Journey at some point, but have so far never had the opportunity to play them.

The only game that I listed that I really don't care for is TPG. Obviously NTM is leaps and bounds better, but even without taking it into consideration, TPG still sucks (just like Football Frenzy sucks even though nothing else ever came out to take its place.) But even though I really like the rest of them, the only game that I would *really* miss if I no longer had it is Baseball Stars Pro. I like all 3 baseball games on the Neo, but I play the first one the most, just because it's more of a "kick back in your chair with a beer in-hand" kind of game. The latter 2 are much more arcadey and are also much better when played 2-player. BS2 is particularly shitty to play single player, just because it's too easy.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
From that list I've had a hell of time with Baseball Stars Pro, it was my first MVS game and I still have it. Just a good game I can pick up and play for a little bit of fun.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
NAM-75

Played it for the first time a few years ago and bought my AES w/ NAM soon after, I love that damn game.

valgalder

Kula's Candy
NAM-75 and Magician Lord probably in a tie. Baseball Stars is great, but after playing part two, there is no reason for me to ever play the first one again.

I do like Ninja Combat, but more so for nostalgia. The game is pretty mediocre and cheap.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Baseball Stars is great, but after playing part two, there is no reason for me to ever play the first one again.

I used to feel that way, but then I figured out how to work the opposing pitchers in BS2, and have their 4th and final pitcher totally gassed before the game was even halfway over, at which point it turns into a home run derby. Once you learn how to do that, the game is no longer much fun in single-player mode.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Cyber-Lip is better than half the Slugs. I like that you can stash a special weapon in reserve and keep it even if you lose a life, then switch when you really need it.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Cyberlip and nam are the only ones I would feel like I got my quarters worth from in 1990. I wouldnt be able to appreciate Mag lord and a few others until later at home without wasting my allowance.

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
Magician Lord is fantastic when you want to be filled with unquenchable rage, and somehow still fun.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Cyberlip and nam are the only ones I would feel like I got my quarters worth from in 1990. I wouldnt be able to appreciate Mag lord and a few others until later at home without wasting my allowance.
NAM-1975 is good for getting 1cc's and high scores, which automatically makes it one of the best 1990 games as far as I'm concerned.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nam is the best by far, nothing else is even close. I do really like Baseball Stars Pro as well. The rest of the list I wouldn't really care if I never played them again.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Edited for dumb post. Carry on.

Last edited:

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Cyberlip and Mag Lord were ok... But mostly I just passed over the Neo until years later when all the super hot shit dropped.

I can appreciate a lot of the early games more now than when they were released, at that time other home consoles and arcade cabinets had all my attention.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I never had the chance to play any of these titles on arcade, I knew the Neo with KoF 94, Aero Fighters 2 and a bit later Metal Slug, but from getting to know the Neo on emulators, some years ago (before I had my first Neo) I have to say I find NAM and Magician Lord the best for my taste. Cyber Lip is also good, but eclipsed for the Metal Slugs on my book. Ninja Combat plays well for me, but the difficulty makes it unbearable sometimes.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Lost of them are awesome, Magician Lord, Nam-1975, Cyber Lip. All classics!

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Like many of you, my fav is Magician Lord, it is in my top list of all the Neo games I own. I also like NAM-1975, and I will join the few that like Ninja Combat. When I was a kid I used to love playing any old 2-d sidescrolling beat-em-up type of game in the arcade, and this game conjures some nostalgia from those days...

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Like many of you, my fav is Magician Lord, it is in my top list of all the Neo games I own. I also like NAM-1975, and I will join the few that like Ninja Combat. When I was a kid I used to love playing any old 2-d sidescrolling beat-em-up type of game in the arcade, and this game conjures some nostalgia from those days...
The 1990 games were simplistic in terms of graphics, compared to later games. Even considering they were the first games, you'd wonder why the later games were so much better in that regard. The Neo was a system where they could use tricks to squeeze out more graphical prowess.

Last edited:

groundzero

Cheng's Errand Boy
Cyber lip. Was just playing it this morning with my 4 year old. Baseball stars on the NES was epic. Near tecmo bowl fame in my neiberhood.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
When I was a kid I used to love playing any old 2-d sidescrolling beat-em-up type of game in the arcade, and this game conjures some nostalgia from those days...

Agreed. I think that's why I like corny beat 'em ups like Ninja Combat and Burning Fight. When I was a kid, games like Golden Axe, TMNT, and Simpsons Arcade were hot shit.

groundzero

Cheng's Errand Boy
Agreed. I think that's why I like corny beat 'em ups like Ninja Combat and Burning Fight. When I was a kid, games like Golden Axe, TMNT, and Simpsons Arcade were hot shit.

Exactly , 4 player turtles and xmen. Couldnt get near those machines. People would go ape shit.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
Nam-1975 and Cyber Lip would be the stand out ones for me. But for me, it took playing the first Metal Slug to really get hooked up on the Neo Geo.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Wasn't Magician Lord a late 80's game? Or is the discussion what you played in the 90's?

EDIT: Nope just checked, mid 1990.

My mistake, didn't wanna go off topic.

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Blues Journey. Fun platformer, especially when your a bit tired of fighters / shmups