The 1990 game selection - Your favorites?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I looked through the backlogs and didn't really see any threads like this.

Neo Geo = Fighters, this we all know. Yet, there was a time when that wasn't the case, 1990. The first fighting game, Fatal Fury, wasn't released until 1991. There's lots of people around here who knew the early Neo Geo. I'd like to know everyone's opinion on that year. Here is what was available, using the old Master List.

Baseball Stars Professional
Blue's Journey
Cyber-Lip
Magician Lord
Mahjong Kyoretsuden
Mahjong Minnasano Okagesamadesu
NAM 1975
Ninja Combat
Puzzled
Riding Hero
The Super Spy
Top Player's Golf

In some ways, there was more variety there than there was in later years. The quality leaved something to be desired in certain games though.

My current favorites of that time are Blue's Journey, Magician Lord, Ninja Combat and Top Player's Golf.

I gotta say, for a 1990 game, TPG was pretty damn impressive with its 62Meg cart and voice samples. It had nice FM music too.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I looked through the backlogs and didn't really see any threads like this.

Neo Geo = Fighters, this we all know. Yet, there was a time when that wasn't the case, 1990. The first fighting game, Fatal Fury, wasn't released until 1991. There's lots of people around here who knew the early Neo Geo. I'd like to know everyone's opinion on that year. Here is what was available, using the old Master List.

Baseball Stars Professional
Blue's Journey
Cyber-Lip
Magician Lord
Mahjong Kyoretsuden
Mahjong Minnasano Okagesamadesu
NAM 1975
Ninja Combat
Puzzled
Riding Hero
The Super Spy
Top Player's Golf

In some ways, there was more variety there than there was in later years. The quality leaved something to be desired in certain games though.

My current favorites of that time are Blue's Journey, Magician Lord, Ninja Combat and Top Player's Golf.

I gotta say, for a 1990 game, TPG was pretty damn impressive with its 62Meg cart and voice samples. It had nice FM music too.
From that list, I'd say NAM-1975 was the best. But there aren't many good games until about 1992 or 1993.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
It has to be NAM-1975. Still a classic I play from time to time. And it has a special bonus since it was the very first game on the Neo after all.
However, compared to other arcade games from 1990 the Neo sucked ass back then. One of my favorite game in general from that time is Out Zone by Toaplan. Such a good game in all terms you wouldn't believe it's a 1990 game - unfortunately the difficulty is also too "good" ;)

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Gotta be a tie between NAM and Baseball Stars Pro. I played both every time my dad and used to go to this comics shop a buddy of his ran. Damn. Now I wanna call my dad.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Cyber Lip is my favorite, it's probably the only game out of that group that I can still play. Back in '90 Super Spy was my favorite. Up until that point I never saw an FPS. That game blew my mind.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
4453763b-1e9e-d4fb.jpg

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Another vote for NAM 1975, although I've always liked Magician Lord and Blue's Journey quite a bit, too.

Hell, there's six games from that list that I still play every now and then.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
For me magician lord follow by nam 1975 and then blue's journey.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
NAM and Magician Lord though at ML I always sucked!

Crush Roller

Rugal's Thug
I am afraid just Magician lord and Cyber Lip for me off that list, I find Cyber lip actually plays better than it looks but both games are perhaps examples of some of the good gameplay yet to come for the Neo.

Hodor

Cheng's Errand Boy
I am afraid just Magician lord and Cyber Lip for me off that list, I find Cyber lip actually plays better than it looks but both games are perhaps examples of some of the good gameplay yet to come for the Neo.

Agreed. A very fair example of two games that don´t get old.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
An underwhelming list for sure, but at least there was some variety. Nam 1975 is tops for me as well.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Aw, don't let Riding Hero and Super Spy scare you guys. The 1990 lineup was actually pretty decent for just SNK and mostly ADK making all of them.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
From the ones I've actually played ML and Cyber Lip were my favorites. ML soundtrack is incredible and had a hell of a challenge while CL plays pretty well also. Have yet to try Nam and the Blues Journey on my 161 has no sound so I don't bother.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
I love Nam 1975, I never played it as a kid but it reminds me of an NES game I remember quite fondly as a kid and only now found out what the name of it was. Cabal on the NES, rented the shit out of that game back in the day haha I remember referring to it as it as "That Rambo game" which is why I was confused on what game it actually was and only recently realized it had no relation to the Rambo movies. But damn is it hard

Magician Lord pretty decent if not unfairly hard in that old school quarter munching way. Though I believe it's popularity is mostly due to the huge lack of decent platformers on the Neo Geo system.

snkjoe

New Challenger
For me it has to be the super spy and ninja combat and cyber lip since thoses where the games the cabinet had when I used to got to the little corner store by my house back then :) good times then lol

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Most definately NAM for me, I love that game. I've always been been disappointed we never got a late 90s upgrade for NAM, or just another Neo game in that style. Especially after Wild Guns came out on the SNES and looks better.. SNES should not look better than Neo, that just aint right.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Joy joy kid isnt that bad, surely it deserves at least a little bit of love.

kof1996

n00b
Magician lord, nam 1975 and joy joy kid are the only ones i own, joy joy kid is pretty bad but the other 2 are definably pretty fun

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
cyber lip and blues journey.

i wish i could get into nam.

Ninja Combat all the way. To me, it was like the first type of Double Dragon/Final Fight style of game(with ninjas) for the NeoGeo.