The 1990 game selection - Your favorites?

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Wasn't Magician Lord a late 80's game? Or is the discussion what you played in the 90's?

EDIT: Nope just checked, mid 1990.

Either way, I played the crap out of Dragon Warrior II and III. Tons of SNES rpg's as well.

This topic is in the Neo Geo discussion forum, so we're talking specifically about Neo Geo games from 1990.

dondi

Crazed MVS Addict
NAM 1975 is my 90's favourite! Magician Lord was always too hard for me :D

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
For me its deffo:
Magician Lord (Great game/great music - literally magical at the time :))
Cyber Lip (the ending is still ace, u can really see how the folks who made it went on to do Metal Slug too :))
Blues Journey (just solid fun!)
Also fond memories of playing Puzzled/JoyJoy Kid back then whilst on holiday overseas :)

The one I went back to and really loved from round that time is deffo Nam-1975: never gave it the time when it first came out in the arcade but a >great< title

Last edited:

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Nam 75 was great. The early voices in ninja combat were nice too. I liked being able to play the characters I had beat.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If you guys like nam, ou should check out the spiritual sequel to cabal called blood bros. there as Snes game that is very similar to its style and insanely expensive nowadays.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
If you guys like nam, ou should check out the spiritual sequel to cabal called blood bros. there as Snes game that is very similar to its style and insanely expensive nowadays.

Oh man I absolutely loved that game in the arcades, played it with my brother all the time. On that note, anyone who is a fan of these types of games absolutely needs to play Wild Guns on the SNES. Same type of gameplay, 2 players, dodging mechanics, it's all there. Awesome set of games.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's crazy how much Wild Guns go for these days.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Super Spy was fun for a couple playthroughs, but that's about it. Magician Lord I still play regularly.

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
Cyberlip was nowhere near the quality of Contra but for some reason people loved it in the arcades. Sure you could not shoot diagonally, but it was still a coin muncher.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
for me, a tie between blues journey and nam 1975. also enjoyed ninja combat, magican lord and baseball stars

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Magician Lord and Nam75 easy choice for me, reason I wanted the system.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Cyber Lip.

Them bosses' sprites had to have looked pretty good in 1990.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Oddly enough, earlier this year I had Nam, CyberLip, and Magician Lord in my cab at the same time. Magician Lord is still in there, even though the way that game handles diagonals drives me bonkers.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I never saw a Neo Geo over here in the past so the one i like to play the most right now would be Nam-1975. There's barely any games like this out there, which seems like a lost oppurtunity at the time because whenever my friends come over they love this game. Magician Lord would come close if it wasn't so damn difficult. I like the concept of The Super Spy, which is way i bought it for the AES but it gets repetitive. Blue's Journey is a game on my wish list.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Only game in that list that I´d be interested in is Cyber lip. Seems like my kind of a game.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
From that list NAM 1975 and Magician Lord.
You are right about the variety, since later on the emphasis seemed to be mostly on fighters and shooters with a lot of genres such a motor racing or even platform games severely underrepresented.
I guess the development was primarily arcade driven so the AES just got whatever was the in thing at the arcades. Maybe somebody knows if there where any games which were developed specifically with the AES in mind.

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
I had Wild Guns for a while but found that it got boring after a while. For some reason it does not have good replay value. I do not feel that way with Nam 1975 though. That game I can play over and over and it never gets boring.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
magician lord, crosswords, super spy

Both Cross Swords and Super Spy looked amazing when reading up magazine reviews at the time but when I actually saw the games later on in real life they were kind of dissapointing in that instead of being set in a proper 3D environment all you could really do is move horizontally.

PS. tried Wild GUns on SNES - pretty good game with a definite NAM 1975 influance.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
Blue's Journey, Cyber-Lip, Magician Lord, and NAM 1975 are all winners in my book. I don't know if I really have a strong preference among those four. I guess if I had to choose, I'd pick Blue's Journey...no, Cyber-Lip...no, Magician Lord...no, NAM 1975. ;)

Last edited: