TecToy is going to release new Megadrive

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I came to this thread expecting to see another one of their shitty multi built in game consoles, but this is different.

Wow, it looks like a real deal mk1 megadrive and takes original cartridges. You won't need an everdrive as it can read sd carts off the bat. No hdmi as you say though, so I guess my Multimega is safe for now.

Lets hope the sound is good unlike the awful emulated Blaze / Atgames systems.

Its really unlikely but it would be nice if this console was a perfect clone like the scorpion was so it works with mega cd and 32x.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
This is really interesting, but I wouldn't want to import one from Brazil. If they can get this released worldwide, with distributors in each country, this could do quite well.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I'm sure it's held together with horseshit and splinters.

Another quality Brazillian product!

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
While this is a step up from AtGames, I'm reading that this one is also a Genesis on a chip with sounds issues and incomplete compatibility.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
...and don't forget the composite video out. Why in the hell would anyone release a new product with only a composite video output?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
...and don't forget the composite video out. Why in the hell would anyone release a new product with only a composite video output?

This.

2016 and no hdmi, seriously? I'll pass

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Third world countries don't know HDMI.

I was going to say something along those lines but I didn't want to insult any ng Brazilian members, lol. That's why your here Shroom jk.

Yea, Brazil is bit behind in technology.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I'm sure that it's missing HDMI as a function of cost first rather than ability. Tec Toy is warming up their SEGA leftovers. Old chips, no redesigned anything. Adding HDMI would actually require re-engineering something, and this thing is already expensive enough as it is.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
But with no HDMI, why is it so expensive? Did they buy the plastic mold rights or something?

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
It has sd card reader. So regular old genesis complete in box lets say 50$ + everdrive 60$+ so that is pretty much 124$. Also yeah that RCA sucks but I have CRT monitor so picture will be okay.
Also I might just buy one cos if they are doing those with SEGA leftover chips well they will maybe run out of chips and having new Sega MD with flash card reader is better than having nothing.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Fuck this shit I'm just going to get a Japanese Megadrive model-1 version.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Did they buy the plastic mold rights or something?

That's a sunk cost for them: they did actually do this many years ago.
Tec Toy produced officially lots of SEGA hardware right in Brazil.
Their Mega Drive "II" from back then looks spot on with this re-release:

sUkdUB3.jpg

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Fuck this shit I'm just going to get a Japanese Megadrive model-1 version.

No you're not. You're going to make a wtb thread and then two days later say nevermind because you're buying Dreamcast games. Just shut the fuck up already.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
It has sd card reader. So regular old genesis complete in box lets say 50$ + everdrive 60$+ so that is pretty much 124$. Also yeah that RCA sucks but I have CRT monitor so picture will be okay.
Also I might just buy one cos if they are doing those with SEGA leftover chips well they will maybe run out of chips and having new Sega MD with flash card reader is better than having nothing.

An SD card reader isn't worth $60.

Sarumaru

Kabuki Klasher
For 100-something dollars with only composite out you may as well just go buy an actual Mega Drive.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I wonder if I could swap the shell with my Genesis. It's kinda beat up.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
TecToy is not a bad company, apart from supporting the MD hardware they also released a number of nice games excusively for the South American market. I think it's kinda cool that the MD (and MSX to a lesser extend) is still going strong in Brazil.

PAL and composite are huge drawbacks, though. Luckily, used MDs are still quite easy to find over here in Europe so people who want to play the games the way they were meant to be played just have to buy a cheap 2nd-gen MD and off ye go.