Talking with gamers at work should be fun, but it's depressing.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm lucky to have one guy at work who's into retro games , his tastes are slightly different to mine but he gets it.

Everyone else thinks I'm weird.
Typical day in the office
giphy.gif

What the fuck is wrong with gamers at work?

I can't even talk to these people. I work with thousands of people, and in nearly 20 years I never met someone with even halfway decent taste in games.

I don't even bring it up anymore because I know that I will have to endure future conversations.

They only talk about Call of Duty and ForkKnife. That's literally it. Nothing else.

You can try to explain that you're not really into those games, but once break the gaming seal it's over. They will always approach you and be like "ForkKnife dropped the classic maps, you should check it out".

I'm mentally like, "just get me the fuck out of here". I'm ready to quit slacking off and actually earn my money.

On extremely rare occasions you might meet some guy that played some Nintendo developed game on Switch (Zelda), or a Resident Evil guy, but that's the best you can really hope for. Even that is an extremely rare experience that should be cherished.

If I met one person that played something other than COD or Fortnite I would be pretty surprised.

If I met someone that actually played something like fighting games, SHMUPS, or some good, lesser-known games like Katamari Damacy, Guilty Gear, or Shadow of the Colossus, I would probably shit my pants on the spot. If they still played retro games other than Pokemon and Nintendo developed games, I would shit the pants for certain, 100%.

Then there are the "cheap gamers". They won't play anything unless it's free. Basically only shitty mobile cash grab games. Not even good free games. They are just so fucking cheap, that they won't even spend $5.00 on a real game that will give them 80 hours of enjoyment.

You can't recommend anything. No one will ever listen. If you try to lend them a game, so they can experience what a real game is, they will never even try it. They will just keep saying they been too busy while going on about that COD arena mode game.

The whole experience is mentally draining and a complete waste of time...

Hopefully some of you are more lucky.
Yeah I get what you mean. I work as a mobile engineer. It's usually customers that are the most interesting. I meet a lot of pc players who play strategy type games. Few who like FromSoft games which is a shame as I love them. You are definitely right though. So many people who's entire gaming time is spent on nothing but COD. I play COD but love other types of games and my AES is a fantastic addition to my gaming collection. They are even surprised when I mention I'm not playing COD that day as I'm playing something else. COD and Fortnite can be a lot of fun but I like to play other games . It keeps it fun.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Yeah I get what you mean. I work as a mobile engineer. It's usually customers that are the most interesting. I meet a lot of pc players who play strategy type games. Few who like FromSoft games which is a shame as I love them. You are definitely right though. So many people who's entire gaming time is spent on nothing but COD. I play COD but love other types of games and my AES is a fantastic addition to my gaming collection. They are even surprised when I mention I'm not playing COD that day as I'm playing something else. COD and Fortnite can be a lot of fun but I like to play other games . It keeps it fun.
You think you're agreeing, but plenty of people here, maybe even the majority, aren't interested in video games being fun anymore.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
So they are just here for the financial side? Making money off the games ?
Just to hang around and be miserable cunts, generally.

I'm not knocking that, I like being a miserable cunt too, I just do it about other things.

Just to hang around and be miserable cunts, generally.

I'm not knocking that, I like being a miserable cunt too, I just do it about other things.
I do find that strange but each to their own. I prefer to enjoy my free time

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
So they are just here for the financial side? Making money off the games ?
Ah that pathetic weakness. I see.
This is a forum about life now, has been for years, the "gaming" part of it has been dying a slow death since the Neo stopped getting releases. You either talk about anything and everything and roll with the punches or you're gonna cop shit from all angles. Don't be some one dimensional child who only wants to talk about video games and expect this place to conform to that narrow view.

This place isn't like rocking up to your parents place for sunday roast, it's more like being at an S&M club and you're the one in the gimp suit.

This is a forum about life now, has been for years, the "gaming" part of it has been dying a slow death since the Neo stopped getting releases. You either talk about anything and everything and roll with the punches or you're gonna cop shit from all angles. Don't be some one dimensional child who only wants to talk about video games and expect this place to conform to that narrow view.

This place isn't like rocking up to your parents place for sunday roast, it's more like being at an S&M club and you're the one in the gimp suit.
This is the problem with text communication. At no point did I even remotely imply that only video games were to be discussed. I was mealy surprised that a forum that is literally titled based on video games is not about them. Also I was surprised to be told that most people here are no longer interested in them. Surely you can understand that I might not immediately understand that? Yet you imply I am childish?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This is the problem with text communication. At no point did I even remotely imply that only video games were to be discussed. I was mealy surprised that a forum that is literally titled based on video games is not about them. Also I was surprised to be told that most people here are no longer interested in them. Surely you can understand that I might not immediately understand that? Yet you imply I am childish?
Don't take it too literally, I'm talking in general. We're a ship in distress, sending out SOS and taking on water. :keke: Come drown with us!