SS Tenka PS2

Lyte Edge said:
I have a Cham Cham and a Nakoruru from that series myself. I'd like to get them all, but I have no idea where to go find them where I live. Only know of one anime shop and they don't sell the capsule toys individually.

Only web-based anime shop that I know of that sells SS Tenka gashapon is House of Anime (hoaoutlet.com), bu they don't sell them individually. Anime Jungle and Animaxis used to have the complete set back in late September, but once they sold out (and they sold out quickly), they were never seen again.
There's going to be an extra-large figure of Iroha released next month (I believe it's part of the Yujin DX line of figures). Check the SNKP website for pics.

Back on topic, I'm glad to hear that SS Tenka turned out quite well for the PS2. Now all I have to do is hold out for an X-Box release (because SCEA hates 2D games as much as intellectuals hate Carrot Top).

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
wow man im actually impressed by this game. its really great for a playmore release and as a port. its deffenitelly the best SS since playmore took over, much much better than SSV/S. the port is also handled better than the nbc and LB port, which pretty much sucked IMO. but to be honost graphically it cant compare to sf3ts or motw, but everybody probably knew that allready. the gameplay and combos aint all that deep from what ive seen and played so far. but its good enough to give the game a 8 outta 10 grade from me that is.

the bgs are weird, they dont look too bad or anything,(some do) but it dousnt fit the charas, like how the old ss2/3 bgs would match the chara art and style, the sst bgs look like nbc or kofXI bgs. not really fitting the style or art but anywayz its good enough. presentation is handled very necely, loading is a little excessively long for a 2d fighter.

its not as beatifull or a great playing game like SF3TS, MOTW, LB, KOF98 or SFA2/3, but compared to all that bullshit coming out lately its deffenitelly going in the right direction. it would be a nice time to make a totally new great game though, since we waited long enough allready. o yeah like most know its got no blood but it really doesnt spoil it, doesnt look as imposing as it did with blood though but it can be missed. though there are a lot of things that are not so good about the game (art, style, not a deep fighter, uninspring moves and new charas, out of place looking bg's, still not a "new" SS) it does have some posetive points going for itselfe.

in the golden era this game would have been punished, but now without the competition in the 2d fighters brache of games we put up with more than we would. id give it a 8 outta 10, if it had been 99 it wouldnt have gitten a higher mark than a 6 from me that is. good game yes, great no, buying ps2 version is worth it but its no sf3ts. at the very least the port is handled good.

p.s. the sound isnt as great as it used to be, music is pretty good but the sound quality isnt as good as the SS games on my cdz. although this may seem negative im pretty posetive about the game, just too bad its not a deeper fighter, maybe cause they put a lot of fighters in it?

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Even though a number of things from previous SS games came back, it still feels like SS4-5 Special, ableit watered down. The higher health settings force you to rely more on combos rather than single hits, but the damage can be tuned up a bit on the options, as well as how low your health has to go before you can go into slow motion or use the 6 spirit's despiration move. The voice option is for the announcer, and decides the "accent" that he uses, either Japanese or English. Both say the exact same Japanese phrases though.

There's original and arcade settings, whatever that is.

From what I heard at mmcafe you unlock the game's bonuses by beating the game as each character. The more characters you complete the more bonuses you unlock. Gallery and Survival are the first things you unlock I think, with the joke characters and EX characters to follow.

The BGs are ok, but I'm not too much into the music. Haven't tried listening to the arranged music though. I like the sprites of the returning characters, except for Earthquake, and the new characters fit in fairly well. A fair number of the 6 spirit's despiration moves are just special moves chained together, oftentimes resembling that of SS4's POW enhanced special moves, and some animations look kinda lame (SS2 based Nakoruru has the lamest angry frames I've ever seen. She cuffs her fists and shakes but she doesn't look angry at all.) Some of the new supers are pretty cool though. Sankuro's new super has his whole gang beat the shit out of you while he's having a smoke. Other moves look kinda dull though, like Gen-an's poison breath is just a simple projectile now, and doesn't turn your opponent purple. Like SS4-5 Sp, there are no dizzies in this game, but there's a cool variety of items the delivery man can drop by if you turn the option on. Practice mode makes it easier since you can choose which item the guy drops off, and you can also put the computer to always do a special move so you can practice reacting to it.

Voices are seriously hit and miss. Some characters it fits fine, others you can't stand. The sound effects are ported from SS5 and not 5 Special, meaning they're outdated and don't fit right in a game like this. Sure, I hate the lack of blood, but it wouldn't be as insulting if they included the sound effects from 5 Special, which I think are way better.

All in all, it's an ok game, but 2 and 5 SP remain my favorites.

Last edited:

goingmerry

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
matsukaze said:
Goingmerry,

Just so you understand, Kuroko is generally considered to be a classic part of the game. He is in the storyline, he was in the first two games as a referee, and you could use him as a bonus character in the second game. He's only made rare guest appearances since then. A LOT of people have been missing him for a long time.

Matsukaze
ok thanks i guess that clears up why people love him so much. personaly i would like to see some more hating of him going on. i mean after a few vids he just pissed me off so much. waveing those damn flags whenever someone gets hit. i think i am going to get SSVS instead of this just because of that bastard.(and i dont have an AW...yet)

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I didn't spend too much time playing ssz so I can't really say if the graphics are better or not. I really like the graphics though. The arranged soundtrack is nice, I like the snow stage with the Japanese woman singing what sounds like a sad song.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
insaneben said:
Only web-based anime shop that I know of that sells SS Tenka gashapon is House of Anime (hoaoutlet.com), bu they don't sell them individually. Anime Jungle and Animaxis used to have the complete set back in late September, but once they sold out (and they sold out quickly), they were never seen again.
There's going to be an extra-large figure of Iroha released next month (I believe it's part of the Yujin DX line of figures). Check the SNKP website for pics.

Well, I live in Japan, so I have no need to order online; just don't know of any local shops that specialize in capsule toys. I bought a bunch of them on a trip to Tokyo last month in Akihabara, and I've seen them at shops in the prefecture my friend lives in about an hour and half away from me. I know there has to be one around here though, just don't know where yet.

I ended up getting the Iroha figure anyway; they told me I wouldn't get one, but when I picked up the game, they gave me the figure. I didn't say a word. :D

Last edited:

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Try the arranged music; it's very nice. I love the music on Ocha-Maro's stage...sounds like something from Ghost In The Shell Innocence with the chanting and beats.

JLoZeppelie said:
Oh yeah, but compared to NGBC graphics, is better this one or the other?

It's different. The entire look of NGBC is very filtered; SS Tenka has more clear backgrounds, I think, but the sprites stand out more because of it.

I think the backgrounds are fine; SS5 and Special didn't really have anything outstanding either, and Tenka has some nice effects.

I still stand behind my opinion that you are insane if you think SS5 Special or any other SS is better though. :drool_2: Tenka just has more of everything, especially game play, and that is a very good thing in this case.

Last edited:

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
Lyte Edge said:
I still stand behind my opinion that you are insane if you think SS5 Special or any other SS is better though. :drool_2: Tenka just has more of everything, especially game play, and that is a very good thing in this case.

Shhh, you'll make him go on another No blood/fatalities rant :shame:

Anyway, getting my "copy", port wise, I would say it's overall WAY better than NBC. The load times are better and the AST is gorgous and far and above better than NBC's. I actually laughed when the US Stage actually used a pretty cool Guitar remix of the American Anthem that went into a US Marching theme. It seems, even turning the BGM level down that the music drowns out the character voices a bit (not a big issue). And of course, it really could've used a sprite filter. I feel like I'm playing CvS2 again.

Now the only thing that REALLY bugs me (but practically every SS game does) is just how hard and complex the game is in single player. I never considered myself a great player by any means, but I've always wished for some kind of continue service in SS games as a sort of "If I can't beat the boss without a service, oh well, at least it's POSSIBLE for me to see the ending without much trouble"

And considering, if what Abster says is correct, about unlocking the extra stuff from beating the game with various characters, this'll be a pain in the ass to do.

All my complaints as a crappy SS player aside, this is an awesome game! I would definetely buy an XBox 360 for this if it came out to the US (there's WAY more japanese than NBC)

EDIT: LOL at English Announcer

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Cain Highwind said:
Shhh, you'll make him go on another No blood/fatalities rant :shame:
NO BLOOD? NO FATALITIES? NO SALE.
-BB

"Macho Man" Butta Supremo

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
BIG BEAR said:
NO BLOOD? NO FATALITIES? NO SALE.
-BB

Which means you don't play fighting games for the excellent gameplay. Nice. Your loss.

Anyways, had a chance to play this for for a bit yesterday, great game so far. Music is great as usual, the backgrounds are pretty good, and controls are excellent which is good news. I'm liking the different fighting systems, gotta figure out which is which since that part isn't in english, while most of the rest of the game's menus are.

WHITETOO HOUSE! ahahahahaha

Now please hook it up with a xbox/xbox360 port with live play.

Last edited:

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
buttasuperb said:
Which means you don't play fighting games for the excellent gameplay. Nice. Your loss.

Anyways, had a chance to play this for for a bit yesterday, great game so far. Music is great as usual, the backgrounds are pretty good, and controls are excellent which is good news. I'm liking the different fighting systems, gotta figure out which is which since that part isn't in english, while most of the rest of the game's menus are.

WHITETOO HOUSE! ahahahahaha

Now please hook it up with a xbox/xbox360 port with live play.

yep this, nbc or xi need 360 live play. ive pretty much given up on doa4 already :)

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Any chance for a US release?

After SSV I'm not paying for any Playmore Neo Geo games until I test drive a port first.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
Any chance for a US release?

After SSV I'm not paying for any Playmore Neo Geo games until I test drive a port first.
I honestly think there is. SS is one of Playmore's better-known franchises, IMO, so I would guess they'd take a chance on releasing this one. Though if SSV tanks on teh Bawks in the U.S., that could drastically reduce the odds.

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
It offers more in gameplay options, yes, but they're fairly generic. The impact to many of the classic moves are lost with the censorship, and since this game is more combo based rather than scoring a decent hit, the classic SS gameplay feels lost here. You don't need a huge library of gameplay options to make a good fighting game, although it helps. 2 and 5 Sp got it done right with just one system and balanced play.

You start at the original SS6 spirit, and then when you scroll right you'll go into SS1, SS2 spirit, and so forth.

Check out mmcafe's random news post to see more info on unlocking extras.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
jro said:
I honestly think there is. SS is one of Playmore's better-known franchises, IMO, so I would guess they'd take a chance on releasing this one. Though if SSV tanks on teh Bawks in the U.S., that could drastically reduce the odds.

After I played the rubbish that is SSV, I could see how it might become popular as SvC was popular (although SvC was a much, much worse game).

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Abster said:
It offers more in gameplay options, yes, but they're fairly generic. The impact to many of the classic moves are lost with the censorship, and since this game is more combo based rather than scoring a decent hit, the classic SS gameplay feels lost here. You don't need a huge library of gameplay options to make a good fighting game, although it helps. 2 and 5 Sp got it done right with just one system and balanced play.

You start at the original SS6 spirit, and then when you scroll right you'll go into SS1, SS2 spirit, and so forth.

Check out mmcafe's random news post to see more info on unlocking extras.
You really do GET IT.
-BB

Divine Crushing Fist

New Challenger
The one store that had it around me is sold out, so I have to wait till tomorrow. I'll be monitoring this thread and a few others for SST info.

I can look past the no blood/no fatalities. One thing that irks me is the report of no filter. I couldn't stand how CVS2 looked on the ps2...the hi res backgrounds really make the older sprites look ugly. I hate that look.

Also, I'm not crazy about allot of the characters in the game. I really find the ogre and the new girls voice annoying. It just seems like some of these guys shouldn't be in a SS game, or aren't as well thought out compared to others.

That being said, I'm probably going to buy this. Gen-An, Seiger, Nicotine, Cham-Cham, and motherfugging Wan Fu being back is more then enough for me to buy it. The whole grooves idea sounds really cool. Most people are saying it plays well. It sounds like a winner.

sammaz

Quiz Detective
playing from hdd is so nice...plus you can leave it playing inside your arcade cab without leaving a disc spinning inside. They thought of everything! :lol:

The vids are great..Thanx

Last edited:

matsukaze

Kuroko's Training Dummy
PS2 hard drive question

I don't have a PS2 HD yet. Is there some kind of trick to load games onto it, or is that just a regular feature? Any useful urls? It's weird to hear negative commentary about Kusaregedo from someone with Genan as an avatar. I never thought his voice was any more annoying than Earthquake's....

Matsukaze

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
sammaz said:
playing from hdd is so nice...plus you can leave it playing inside your arcade cab without leaving a disc spinning inside. They thought of everything! :lol:

The vids are great..Thanx

yeah

Sam Spi Tenka is great on HDLoader. :)

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
okay.

it's been 3 pages and we haven't had SNKP Haters in this thread yet why? :chimp: