SS Tenka PS2

goingmerry

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
SnairDogg said:
This game is sweet.
so how does it compare to SSVS? witch would you recomend owning(i am not talking ports here). i mean if you could only choose one witch would it be? thanks.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I only got to play sszs 2-3 times and the controls were all messed up (it was at an arcade in Shanghai), so I stopped playing it. Tenkaichi is pretty cool because there's so many options, but I can't read the Kanji so I don't know what all the different play modes there are yet. The graphics are nice, I don't like the load times, which aren't as bad as NBC, but load times are really starting to any me more and more. The load times are too bad though. Iroha, the girl in the black and white maid outfit, does this cool move where she takes you behind a screen and you get to see the silhouettes in the background and she beats the shit out of you. It's cool.

Last edited:

goingmerry

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
^ok thanks for the info. well sst sounds fun enough so maybe i wil get that over SSVS. like you said the different modes of play seem intresting. and i realy can't complain with a female charecter is a maid suit either. :)

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
For those who have never played Tenkaichi, the game absolutely SPANKS SS5 Special in every way. Tenka is the ultimate SS game; virtually the entire SS cast (yes, even Sieger, Nicotine, Cham Cham, etc.) and all their moves are available, as well as fighting styles based somewhat on the past SS games as well as new ones.

SS2 is my all-time favorite SS game, and Tenkaichi is the game that has finally surpassed it in my eyes. It absolutely ROCKS.

SnairDogg said:
Tenkaichi is pretty cool because there's so many options, but I can't read the Kanji so I don't know what all the different play modes there are yet. The graphics are nice, I don't like the load times, which aren't as bad as NBC, but load times are really starting to any me more and more. The load times are too bad though. I'm not sure what her name is, but the girl in the black and white maid outfit does this cool move where she takes you behind a screen and you get to see the silhouettes in the background and she beats the shit out of you. It's cool.

I got to see the game in action and the load times are perfectly fine. It really is around 5-6 seconds for matches; the Atomiswave version also has load time, so it's expected. This is not NGBC all over again, thankfully. :)

I'll get to play the game tonight after I'm done with work and I'll write up impressions. I didn't see any of the characters that were supposed to be added or the new fighting styles; guess you have to unlock them.

The girl you are referring to is Iroha. One of her supers is similar to Baiken's (from Guilty Gear), where you see a rice paper screen and the silhouette of Iroha beating the crap out of the other character in the nude (quite perverted). Iroha appears to be based on a snow woman, since she turns into a crane during this super.

BTW, if you get a chance, check out the sound options. I saw an option for an English announcer; perhaps that changes the game text to English as well?

Last edited:

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Lyte Edge said:
BTW, if you get a chance, check out the sound options. I saw an option for an English announcer; perhaps that changes the game text to English as well?
Nope. When I tried it, the only thing that happened was that on the map screen it said, "White House" in an awkward accent. I turned it off after that, nothing "English" other than that, but again I turned it off right away.

goingmerry

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
is that black ref with the flags always in the background? he is there is all the match vids i saw and i was wondering if you can turn him off. he looks hella annoying.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
The black ref (Kuroko) has been in the series from the start!!

SnairDogg said:
Nope. When I tried it, the only thing that happened was that on the map screen it said, "White House" in an awkward accent. I turned it off after that, nothing "English" other than that, but again I turned it off right away.

:lol: I just tried it; how bizarre is it that they got a guy to speak really BAD Japanese as an alternate announcer? What was the point? :D

Quick n' dirty port stuff:

-No new 3D backgrounds this time. Same as the arcade; high-res hybrid 2D/3D backgrounds.
-No sprite filtering options; the sprites are pixelated. It looks exactly like the AW version. You can edit character colors, however.
-Arranged music is available.
-The game mode is set to "original" by default. Not sure what the difference is.
-Game modes are pretty basic; it's just arcade, versus, practice, and network play (KDDI service; Japan only).

Last edited:

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
You unlock survival and gallery mode by completing the game once I think...

Matarick

Goal! Goal! Goal!
This is Urgent

I wonder if SS Tenka works on Magic Swap 3.6 since I got a switched PS2 for my girlfriend for Christmas and I want to order that game from NCSX just to make it to the bonus item list? That would be a good way to creep her into the realm of SNK fighters. She loves SF games, sword fighting, and strong male leads. I just want to get her that game asap.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
goingmerry said:
is that black ref with the flags always in the background? he is there is all the match vids i saw and i was wondering if you can turn him off. he looks hella annoying.
You have just excluded yourself from all future Samurai Shodown conversation.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
goingmerry said:

I never knew there where Kuroko haters out there.

But does SS Tenka work with the Magic Swap converter.

Last edited:

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
JLoZeppelie said:
The game NOT HAVE a focus soft option to filtering the graphics :angry: ?
I'm pretty sure it does. I will check again in a little while, I got some beer I gotta drink first. ;)

sammaz

Quiz Detective
Rotated my neocandy just now and threw the PS2 + 80G hdd inside because this game OwnZ!

Graphics are identical to AW version and if you throw your ps2 into VGA mode with the BLAZE PS2 VGA adapter you can play from hdd in 640x480 60hz for identical high-res AW graphics and no load times!

Controls are so perfect and the music just rocks. :buttrock:

(I added 2 buttons to each player controls on the NeoCandy 29 I think this is the correct setup no?) Do I have to buy an additional PS2 so I can have Neogeo Battle Coliseum and SS : Tenk running side by side? Oh that would be something!

326761109_l.jpg

Last edited:

goingmerry

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
SouthtownKid said:
You have just excluded yourself from all future Samurai Shodown conversation.
i have never played any ss games, and am just trying to decide witch to buy first. actualy i have barly played any neo games but for somereason decided that i would order a cab and see if i like this hobie. anyway i dont' think its fair to exclude me from all FUTURE ss conversations, maybe for the imediate future and time being. but by the end of next weekend i'll have my cab with some games and if i can make a desicion i'll have an ss game.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Abster said:
You unlock survival and gallery mode by completing the game once I think...

Really? That would be nice if true! More options are always a good thing. I'll have a bunch of free time tonight to go through the game and see what's hidden.

SnairDogg said:
I'm pretty sure it does. I will check again in a little while, I got some beer I gotta drink first. ;)

No, it doesn't. There are NO filtering options in this game. SS Tenka doesn't use filtered sprites like the other AW fighters do for whatever reason.

Divine Crushing Fist said:
Any more impressions? Come on Lyte Edge, I know you want to...

Well, I spent most of my play time with the game last night in the training mode playing around with all the characters. I've played the arcade version plenty of times, but always picked the Ten fighting style and only a few characters, so it was nice to be able to try everyone out and learn all their moves without losing 100 yen each time in the process. :) I never knew that using the Shin style lets you do the super-deformed moves from SS2!

Tonight I'll play a lot more (although I am getting Shin Onimusha today) and see if I can find any hidden features. I'll take some screenshots, too; the game lets you turn off the pause window at any time (you can even pause during win poses), so taking screenshots is no problem with SS Tenka.

Last edited:

matsukaze

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Goingmerry,

Just so you understand, Kuroko is generally considered to be a classic part of the game. He is in the storyline, he was in the first two games as a referee, and you could use him as a bonus character in the second game. He's only made rare guest appearances since then. A LOT of people have been missing him for a long time.

Matsukaze

Divine Crushing Fist

New Challenger
Thank you very much...detail impressions would be much appreciated. I know you are a big SSII fan, I am as well. I've heard you say you like this better, so thats why my interest is up.

Very cool the deformations work. Nice touch.

Last edited:

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
WAN-FU!!! SIEGER!!! NICOTINE!!! GEN-AN!!! EARTHQUAKE!!! THEY'RE ALL BACK!

Divine Crushing Fist said:
Thank you very much...detail impressions would be much appreciated. I know you are a big SSII fan, I am as well. I've heard you say you like this better, so thats why my interest is up.

It's because the game has EVERYONE (finally...after more than 11 YEARS, we get all the SS2 cast back!), and plays so damn well that I love it so much. Of course, SS2 will always have its place at the top, but all nostalgia aside, Tenkaichi is the definitive Samurai Spirits game. No contest; anyone who says otherwise is either blinded by fanboy loyalty ("It's not on teh Neo!!11") or just plain crazy. ;)

This is either the last SS game, or SNK is going to take the series in a new direction, because there's nothing left for them to do with the old cast now.

Very cool the deformations work. Nice touch.

I couldn't believe it when I saw it mentioned in a FAQ. :) They even have hidden super moves (which are only available in two of the fighting styles). Each style lets you do things from past SS games, like weapon-breaking super moves, rolling, dodging, and even the chain combos from SS4 are back (now done by hitting AB together followed by slashes, for example AB, then AABBCCCC)

And not only is Kuruko back (and I hope he is playable as rumored, or that you can at least fight against him, SS2-style, again...not that lame SS3 "mirror match" crap), but the courier is, too, running across the screen throwing items out.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Lyte Edge said:
And not only is Kuruko back (and I hope he is playable as rumored, or that you can at least fight against him, SS2-style, again...not that lame SS3 "mirror match" crap), but the courier is, too, running across the screen throwing items out.

Their was a thread here a month or so back that showed some pics of him fighting. He was doing what looked like different moves from past neo games. Like the genocide cutter and Todos super in AOF.