Square Enix to File For Bankruptcy? Earnings Down 91%, Final Fantasy XIV to Blame

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Ninny's custom title needs to be 'The Vancouver Steamer'.

icon14.gif

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Looks like 2 assholes beating the opposite ends of the same horse.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
If Deuce hadn't stated his position, Ninny wouldn't be arguing

That isn't official art. That's from one of Nintendo Power's artists, who also did some artwork for the magazine of LttP, among others.

The scary thing is, that art of Kain isn't even close to being the worst from the main cast. Cid's art has him weighing about 350 pounds with a spare tire that would be too big on a monster truck, while Palom and Porom look like 50-something midgets. I can't get the images out of my head for the life of me, and I haven't looked at the issue in question for 10+ years.

I know, I was just poking fun. The artist's name is Katsuya Terada, btw. Love his work.

60438_467636272517_566452517_6718872_7054345_n.jpg

His take on FFIV's characters are pretty neat, if you ask me.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
XII was the last good Final Fantasy game I played. Well expect for FF Dissidia. Great game, though not sure if it's technically a FF game since it's not an RPG.:D

BTW: And yes, please stop Kingdom Hearts games.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Well thank goodness there are only 2 assholes on this forum.

Both your arguments are technically correct, but in no way do they negate the validity of the other.

"Final Fantasy has always been about girly fag-men."

"I disagree, their sprites look nothing like whats depicted in the artwork"

So?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Both your arguments are technically correct, but in no way do they negate the validity of the other.

"Final Fantasy has always been about girly fag-men."

"I disagree, their sprites look nothing like whats depicted in the artwork"

So?
So fine, except that's not what I was saying.

What I was saying is that there have been different interpretations of the characters, BOTH official from Square, and both valid. So if someone chooses to identify more with one than the other, that is understandable and perfectly reasonable.

Ninny's position is that no, there is only one way to look at these games, and anyone who disagrees -- no matter what reference they can pull up from Square themselves -- is an idiot. Including Square themselves, I guess.

So technically, my argument is more correct than his.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Ninny's position is that no, there is only one way to look at these games, and anyone who disagrees -- no matter what reference they can pull up from Square themselves -- is an idiot. Including Square themselves, I guess.

I never said that. I simply said that you are full of shit — which you are.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I can't believe I read this entire thread. I was hoping at some point a winner was going to be declared. If there were a winner, I'd say Spoon is it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I tell you what, you go ahead with your day and as soon as they announce the winner of the internet, I will PM you.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I've always seen Yoshitaka Amano's artwork as abstract interpretation, a realization of the concepts being presented and not meant to be taken as a literal version at all. I'd be willing to bet even Yoshitaka Amano would refute the notion that his artwork is the definitive interpretation of the Final Fantasy characters. He'd probably argue just the opposite, based on the composition of his art style.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've always seen Yoshitaka Amano's artwork as abstract interpretation, a realization of the concepts being presented and not meant to be taken as a literal version at all. I'd be willing to bet even Yoshitaka Amano would refute the notion that his artwork is the definitive interpretation of the Final Fantasy characters. He'd probably argue just the opposite, based on the composition of his art style.

Agreed.

But I enjoy his artwork more than the finished product.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I don't remember the artwork for the original NES one being super effeminate.

I'm sure the art from that Nintendo Power Strategy Guide isn't official, but I recall it looking pretty good. Like oil painting artwork from 2nd Edition AD&D.

*Waits expectently to be proven wrong*

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
You and Late, I swear. What in that post sounds mad?

I was thinking about this today at work (I know you're going to laugh), but I thought about the post you made the other day shitting on that guy about the bride/groom thing... I forget the details. Then you were explained that it wasn't the same post, and after taking a 100 pound shit on the guy, you realized you were wrong. No "sorry" or nothing to the poor guy.... just seems like you are ready to hate for hate's sake. Just saying. :)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I was thinking about this today at work (I know you're going to laugh), but I thought about the post you made the other day shitting on that guy about the bride/groom thing... I forget the details. Then you were explained that it wasn't the same post, and after taking a 100 pound shit on the guy, you realized you were wrong. No "sorry" or nothing to the poor guy.... just seems like you are ready to hate for hate's sake. Just saying. :)
I don't want to say, "For me, it was Tuesday," but I honestly don't remember that.

But I mean, as far as mad goes, I joked around with your post, where you came in and were like, "I can't believe I read this entire thread etc. etc." I thought you sounded more angry than me.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Oh, wait, yeah now I remember. Yeah, no apology. I did admit I was wrong though, which is more than a lot of people do. When I'm wrong, I try to at least acknowledge it, rather than just conspicuously disappear from the thread and pretend it didn't happen.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I really didn't think it warranted an apology. First off, apologies here are pretty rare to begin with and I think most of us have thick enough skin to let molten lava roll off, much less anything I could ever think to say to anyone.

And secondly what was I supposed to apologize for, making myself look like an idiot?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I think he thought you were going for some kind of subtle roundabout insult or something. This place is getting paranoid.