Square Enix to File For Bankruptcy? Earnings Down 91%, Final Fantasy XIV to Blame

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
The irony here is it was final fantasy that literally saved squaresoft and it is now final fantasy which has doomed it, we come full circle.

Geralds

Kula's Candy
Well there stock fell 20 ish percent shorrtly after the release of ff14. Now 3 months later there down 91% that just realy realy sad.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Woah...

Sounds like some kind of gay mafia ponzi scheme is going on here.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
All I ever wanted out of them was another ActRaiser. Maybe i can buy the rights now.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I haven't cared about Square Enix since.... since.... Final Fantasy 10?? And even then, I was like WTF is this shit.

The last BIG one I gave a shit about was 9. I was let down by 10, and have given up on them since then. 8 was when you could tell things were getting stupid.

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
Does that mean there will be no more Kingdom Hearts?

That would be nice.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Maybe now they'll stop whoring out their IPs... nah.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Making rpgs for PS360 seems too much of a risk. I wouldn't be surprised if SE focuses on handhelds until they can increase their profits.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
That's a surprise for me, I rarely play RPG's but after seeing how well the previous Dragon Quest games sold I find it odd their in such a bad slump. Maybe if they actually FINISHED XIV they wouldn't have this problem.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
All I ever wanted out of them was another ActRaiser. Maybe i can buy the rights now.

I worked out a scenario for it years ago called "ActRaiser 3: Caught in the Act"

LMK if you want to buy it as well.

Eric

Fight On!,
That's a surprise for me, I rarely play RPG's but after seeing how well the previous Dragon Quest games sold I find it odd their in such a bad slump. Maybe if they actually FINISHED XIV they wouldn't have this problem.

Last year (when the last DQ was released) was a record setting year for them profit wise. Unfortunately for them they have nothing on the release schedule due to delays so they're looking at a year without profits.

Doesn't help that their stock value has halved in two years, though. Is Eidos toxic or something?

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I don't remember talking about a game company's stock market when I was a kid.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Their "earnings" are their net profit. They're still making a profit. In other words, they're not losing money. They have paid all their workers and bills, etc. They're still profitable for the year. That's really not too bad. The 91% thing is just a good headline to grab attention.

They aren't looking at a year without profits. It's not as if 100% of game sales happen within the first 10 or 12 months of release. They're still making money off of XIII, the KH games, DQIX, and any Eidos or Taito games, as well as any Taito game centers, licesned merch (which includes non-Square-Enix franchises), and their retail store.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I worked out a scenario for it years ago called "ActRaiser 3: Caught in the Act"

LMK if you want to buy it as well.

Sounds great! Please PM your proposal, I'll line up some investors.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
This might be a good time for SE to release a FFX-FFXII HD remake. The games should sell (assuming they are the International versions) and shouldn't cost too much to develop.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
On the one hand, I'd say that they deserve it. On the other hand, they did release Dragon Quest 9, which was fuckawesome.

If Level 5 just bought the DQ IP then Square can just die for all I care.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Come on, snk-enix-square-playmore, come on.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
This means they're probably not going to drop the price on Chaos Rings any time soon.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Blame the ladyboys.

Ff6_amano_setzer.png