Soon to be first time dad. HELP!

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
"Specifically, how has becoming a Dad changed your relationship with video games?"

That's literally the last thing you should be concerned with. You'll never be ready for the responsibilities a child brings, but you certainly have a few months where you can get your priorities in check.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Congrats on your future parenthood! Join some dad advice groups on Facebook or something maybe?

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Having a child is a great way to meet women!

Haha.

Anyway when your kid is a bit older and the old lady spends the whole of Sunday at her mum's and you have the house to youself, then it's on, party time with your cock out playing videogames until you cry blood and bile dribbles out of your mouth and burns into the carpet from all the fizzy drinks you've just had.
Good times

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Specifically, how has becoming a Dad changed your relationship with video games?

I can't be the only one who read this and went, "hmmm..."

Just strange that out of anything about becoming a father, you're most worried about not playing video games?

Your life is not your own anymore, my dude.

Carless Walker

Kabuki Klasher
If your friends are telling you that your life is over, it's time to retire those friends.

It's going to be hard, adjusting to a baby is difficult. They will try every bit of your patience, then you'll learn you've been operating on 25% patience your whole life up to this point. Once you realize that, it gets better.

Someone mentioned handhelds, I fully agree. Grab a PSP, load up some emulators. Being able to suspend a session at the drop of a hat (feces), and resume it once you've cleaned vomit from your shoulder is a great thing.

I used mine in between the kids naps, as a means to decompress.

As side note, get as much sleep as you can, the first few months after the baby arrive, are the hardest. A full nights sleep will not come for quite a while.

omegasit

Crossed Swords Squire
Congrats. I have a 2 and 5 years old. Finding time to play is always tough. I do find that handhelds tend to be the easiest.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I think it's a legit question connor. Maybe some are reading too much into it. They should remember this is a video game forum. I took this as a way to announce you're having a baby and quasi to ask a question for advice, but it's probably not something that's truly burning away at you.

As others said - everything changes. Everything. If you aren't a selfish person you should be able to adapt. If you want to keep all of your old habits and hobbies then your relationship with your partner and your child will suffer, at least to some extent.

Advice I try to give, particularly as it pertains to a first child, was already given by Neo Moe. The next thing I pass on is try to let them be the age they naturally are. Meaning, don't rush them into Little People toys when they are 6 mos, don't rush them into Lego when they should be doing Duplo, and don't expect them to enjoy Mario 64 when Elmo's Letter Adventure is going to be more appealing. All of those things you want to show the child will come in time - enjoy each phase along the way.

Good luck!

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Handheld systems marketer at first time dads... Sounds like a legit strategy for Nintendo to pursue.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I think it's a legit question connor. Maybe some are reading too much into it. They should remember this is a video game forum. I took this as a way to announce you're having a baby and quasi to ask a question for advice, but it's probably not something that's truly burning away at you.

As others said - everything changes. Everything. If you aren't a selfish person you should be able to adapt. If you want to keep all of your old habits and hobbies then your relationship with your partner and your child will suffer, at least to some extent.

Advice I try to give, particularly as it pertains to a first child, was already given by Neo Moe. The next thing I pass on is try to let them be the age they naturally are. Meaning, don't rush them into Little People toys when they are 6 mos, don't rush them into Lego when they should be doing Duplo, and don't expect them to enjoy Mario 64 when Elmo's Letter Adventure is going to be more appealing. All of those things you want to show the child will come in time - enjoy each phase along the way.

Good luck!

I agree. Everyone has hobbies.

How do other dads find time to watch every sporting event, make it through college, read a book, watch a movie, or play guitar?

They just make it work. If gaming is important you will find a way. Maybe during naptime. You may have to sacrifice other things of minimal importance to you.

A man having a hobby is what keeps him sane. A lot of people on here just so happen to be gamers. It's no different from any other thing done in your free time.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
*Mr. Jimmer makes his kids play N64.*

"Hello CPS, I have concerns about the welfare of some children..."

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Thanks for all the kind works everyone! Some great advice in here for sure. I'm so glad that many of you guys are echoing my feelings on the matter. I feel like I'm on the right track already which is good news, as baby is coming soon!

I already play mostly handheld for modern stuff on my Switch. My 390+ hour Zelda BOTW file will likely be my last epic for a few years - and I kinda knew that when the wife and I started "pussy fucking" with a purpose (thanks Sylvie). Otherwise I play mainly classic console and arcade games (fighters, shooters), so I'm already well used to the quick burst gameplay style. I will have to dig out the old "Arcade Pause Button" that I built that engages the 68000 HALT pin so I can pause some of my compatible arcade games. Should come in handy ;-)

I have a niece and nephew that are 2.5 and 6, and both gravitate towards my cabinet with the bright buttons and sticks. It's quite fun to play on it with them when they visit. I'm looking forward to the day when my little boy (yup) and I can play some games together. Beating Streets of Rage together sounds like a great afternoon.

Who knows, maybe one day my little guy will have an account on Neo-Geo.com - but then again, maybe I will wish he never even foooound this website.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I will have to dig out the old "Arcade Pause Button" that I built that engages the 68000 HALT pin so I can pause some of my compatible arcade games. Should come in handy ;-)

LMAO

I forgot you did that! That kid hasn't even popped out yet, and he's already less of a waterhead than you are.

Who knows, maybe one day my little guy will have an account on Neo-Geo.com - but then again, maybe I will wish he never even foooound this website.

I wish you never found it.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
"Hello CPS, I have concerns about the welfare of some children..."
"Hello sir. Now I want you to be straight with me, make it easier on us and we'll go easy on you. When was the last time you spoke with a certain mister Madman? Also known as, Fleece Johnson ? You're in a lot of trouble, but if you give this guy up, maybe you'll avoid jail."

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, once my girl hit about 3 or so she absolutely loved cabs. She plays Frogger at the pizza place every chance she gets even though I have it at home on several systems.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My two daughters playing street fighter on my cab...Man the amount of sodium and pop off is quite a treat to watch. Reminds me of my bro & i playing videogames. I got a total of 3 kids so we are able to play some cool multiplayer games like Dungeons and dragon, turtles, Simpsons, wrestlefest...Im also a big fan of kung fu movies, so i got them started at a young age on that. I think its a great way to bond with them sharing your passion. The wife does the same by teaching them to cook and arts.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Another thing I would add: just because you love video games, doesn’t mean your kid will. My son does like to play from time to time, but he’s only interested in Burnout 2, Hyperstone Heist, and Turtles in time. I’ve had him try a bunch of games, but those are the only ones he likes. He’d still rather play with Hot Wheels or Legos or other things rather than play games most of the time. Maybe he’ll come around, maybe he won’t. Either way, I don’t force it on him, I let him let me know if he wants to play video games, which isn’t often.

I’ve seen too many dads try to live vicariously through their kids by forcing their hobbies on them. Kids have their own personalities, likes, and dislikes. If your kid just isn’t into whatever hobby, it’s best to let it go, and encourage them work on a hobby they are interested in, as long as it’s not harmful in some way.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Anybody that thinks this is a good idea

shouldn't have children.

Oh god what the fuck is that thing!?

I like how video games are so important that the fear of not finding the time to play them as a father before your first child is born is a concern enough to share it here on neo-geo.com.

Let me guess the babies name! Toptierry if its a boy or TopTiera if it's a girl.

Last edited:

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
My kiddo just turned 8 and she's awesome. The first two years can be rough, but you'll adjust. Once yo have your kid in your arm, you'll realize nothing is more important. The feeling of hopelessness when your kiddo gets sick for this first time, video games will be the last thing on your mind.

Now that my kid is 8, we play neo geo together, Mario Kart, Magic, and Heroclix. It's nice having a second player whenever you want it.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Another thing I would add: just because you love video games, doesn’t mean your kid will. My son does like to play from time to time, but he’s only interested in Burnout 2, Hyperstone Heist, and Turtles in time. I’ve had him try a bunch of games, but those are the only ones he likes. He’d still rather play with Hot Wheels or Legos or other things rather than play games most of the time. Maybe he’ll come around, maybe he won’t. Either way, I don’t force it on him, I let him let me know if he wants to play video games, which isn’t often.

I’ve seen too many dads try to live vicariously through their kids by forcing their hobbies on them. Kids have their own personalities, likes, and dislikes. If your kid just isn’t into whatever hobby, it’s best to let it go, and encourage them work on a hobby they are interested in, as long as it’s not harmful in some way.

Videogames are hardly a hobby anymore though, they are part of general entertainment on par with movies and music. And the kids growing up with this stuff around them don't need any prompting as to them it's just an everyday thing to do, way more than it was back in our day. Cos you have games on the phones, tablets, consoles, computers, TVs, etc.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Playing video games as a dad is easy, it mostly happens at home and does not include any women whatsoever. Your kid, as well as your partner will both be absolutely pacified. But yeah, you can kiss your other artsy projects goodbye.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Having a kid is a huge adjustment. You'll eventually find your groove again, but that first year or so is rough. Just try to sleep when you can. Good luck!

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Yeah, once my girl hit about 3 or so she absolutely loved cabs. She plays Frogger at the pizza place every chance she gets even though I have it at home on several systems.

My two daughters playing street fighter on my cab...Man the amount of sodium and pop off is quite a treat to watch. Reminds me of my bro & i playing videogames. I got a total of 3 kids so we are able to play some cool multiplayer games like Dungeons and dragon, turtles, Simpsons, wrestlefest...

Now that my kid is 8, we play neo geo together, Mario Kart, Magic, and Heroclix. It's nice having a second player whenever you want it.

THIS!

It was very cool the first time my niece and nephew came over and were old enough to be able to say "Mom says we can play video games", and I'm like "Fuck yeah!". Little too young for Final Fight, but Frogger is right up their alley.

Similar story with my best friend's son a few years ago. As soon as he was a bit older he changed from being a helpless baby and turned into just another guy friend that liked a lot of the same stuff we did.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
You're never too young for Final Fight.