So.. this is kinda cool, customizable 161 carts... (bye bye darksoft and NeoSD?)

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I wouldn't mind a homecart version with all the heavy hitters on it. I've already got the OG NeoSD for MVS.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Not that I wish Darksoft any ill will (but meh to terraonion) but I hope these end up everywhere and easily obtained/modified. Would I like a NeoSD Pro? Sure. But do I wanna spend $600 if/when they are available, or $1k+ when they aren't? No way.
Still worth it to be able to drag and drop the .neo of any new homebrew or hack that comes out.

darknezz19

n00b
True. Maybe someone will make a new daughter board that could have all the pins addressed out to a high density connector.
Ordered a 5 pack of each of the programming PCBs. Should be here in about 2 weeks. If anyone needs a set just ask.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Still worth it to be able to drag and drop the .neo of any new homebrew or hack that comes out.
Fair point, yeah. But for those that dont have em...

I dunno, I think if I just had all of the KOFs, (to 99 anyway) SamShos, Fatal Furies, and LB 1 and 2 on one and then all the other great stuff like Magician Lord, shmups, Windjammers, Ninja Masters (why the fuck did I sell mine) on the 2nd cart would be tits.

All you really need, y'know.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So evidently no one at A-P is interested in actually doing this claiming legality issues, even though 161 carts and fully populated Multis are traded back and forth there, so whatever. It is what it is.

I guess it was only done to allow Chinese resellers to create and sell them. 🤷‍♂️

I would love to do this and even provide it as a service but Im not a good solderer by any means so its a moot point. Guess I'm sticking with the carts as is.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
So evidently no one at A-P is interested in actually doing this claiming legality issues, even though 161 carts and fully populated Multis are traded back and forth there, so whatever.
Let them have their excuse for not doing what’s a major pain in the ass as a “service” to the “community” (French flag emoji). I would claim fear of SNK’s scimitar wielding lawyers too :keke:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
For real, if I had steady hands and was a decent solderer I would absolutely start doing this for a tiny work-done fee.

I can learn all the programming stuff and whatever sure (it'd take time but it's doable). But the physical part of it is not something I can help with my tremors :/

NeoSeeD

n00b
A decently made & priced cart without all of the filler crap would tempt me to finally buy an AES.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Going by the discussion on A-P, it wont be "decently priced."

The whole thing ended up being kinda pointless, going by what needs done and the inability (or refusal) to do the job.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Going by the discussion on A-P, it wont be "decently priced."

The whole thing ended up being kinda pointless, going by what needs done and the inability (or refusal) to do the job.
Give it time... for all intents and purposes it was just "cracked," I'm sure people will innovate better or easier ways, or the delay for people in the East to just rip it off may not be as long as one may think. There are folks with the actual skills, which really just means right now it's just too much work to turn a worthwhile dime (even setting aside the copyright risk), kind of like making the new Fluffy style repro carts. The time per hour of someone who can do it is more than it's worth to sell, but still enticing to make one for yourself if you can. This sucks for folks who can't, admittedly, however in the case of this MVS cart, I don't see it staying that way forever.

NeoSeeD

n00b
Give it time... for all intents and purposes it was just "cracked," I'm sure people will innovate better or easier ways, or the delay for people in the East to just rip it off may not be as long as one may think. There are folks with the actual skills, which really just means right now it's just too much work to turn a worthwhile dime (even setting aside the copyright risk), kind of like making the new Fluffy style repro carts. The time per hour of someone who can do it is more than it's worth to sell, but still enticing to make one for yourself if you can. This sucks for folks who can't, admittedly, however in the case of this MVS cart, I don't see it staying that way forever.
Agreed. There's a decent chance that economies of scale will eventually kick in.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Why would "China" want anything with this when they're the ones who make the hardware/software for the cartridges in the first place? They can program anything they want on those lol

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Why would "China" want anything with this when they're the ones who make the hardware/software for the cartridges in the first place? They can program anything they want on those lol
Bootleggers love to both copy protect their own shit, and steal from others when it's made easy. Given the complete lack of regard for our style of copyright I can see someone making a cart with all the high demand games of which one or more is always missing from all the available N-in-ones, depending on which.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Bootleggers love to both copy protect their own shit, and steal from others when it's made easy. Given the complete lack of regard for our style of copyright I can see someone making a cart with all the high demand games of which one or more is always missing from all the available N-in-ones, depending on which.
One of the guys on A-P is experimenting with adding more space to the 161 so the full library fits except mahjong/quiz/stakes winner too. Pretty exciting stuff!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
One of the guys on A-P is experimenting with adding more space to the 161 so the full library fits except mahjong/quiz/stakes winner too. Pretty exciting stuff!
No Steaks Winner? :(

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Funny (not funny), that. I can think of three formerly prominent/powerful members that drove all manner of folks away…and these three members don’t even post anymore.

What could’ve been, eh?

Last edited: