So.. this is kinda cool, customizable 161 carts... (bye bye darksoft and NeoSD?)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Vortex has reverse engineered the 161s to customize the games in there. I dont think it will work with Raz's Pick N Mix anymore, but hell - you can just nix all the crapware hacks and slap a couple of GOOD collections on the carts.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The promised day has arrived. Here's hoping these Vortex Edition carts become easy to obtain.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Great stuff, I didn't know about this! I guess the chinese just got outchinesed.

That's quite a coincidence, my second 161-in-1 cart arrived yesterday (I had the banana Series 1, this is the latest blue with V3 on the label)... I've made a bootleg cart before, but I don't think I have the skill and tools to make a custom 161-in1; still, I'm sure someone will come up with something we can just buy. The two carts setup is by far the most logical: instead of trying to cram all games in one cart, just make a second one with all the stuff that's missing.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on that thread, thanks HorneaDD 👍

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Im just hoping its not too difficult for regular schlubs like myself to get this going. I know its more involved than dragging and dropping. Probably requires an EEPROM burner or something. So I can definitely see someone offering this either as a service for your current carts, or selling them as updated carts.

And naturally - the nanner carts are gonna shoot up in price. Get em while you can fagits. I already have 2.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Im just hoping its not too difficult for regular schlubs like myself to get this going. I know its more involved than dragging and dropping. Probably requires an EEPROM burner or something. So I can definitely see someone offering this either as a service for your current carts, or selling them as updated carts.

And naturally - the nanner carts are gonna shoot up in price. Get em while you can fagits. I already have 2.
It sounded like there's a custom programmer that connects to the JTAG style port on these 161 boards. Probably easy to do with that programmer device and software for it

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
It sounded like there's a custom programmer that connects to the JTAG style port on these 161 boards. Probably easy to do with that programmer device and software for it
He said it wasn’t fully programmable via JTAG, so takes removing the flash and reprogramming manually.

Really awesome effort though, essentially this is the 161 Series 2 so we have the missing games available. Probably won’t take long for sellers on Aliexpress to start offering these.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
When it happens bump this mofo.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
As I already own most games I want to play outside the banana cart I really don’t care much for it at the moment, but this will be very cool for hacks and homebrew so I’ll keep an eye on it.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Not that I wish Darksoft any ill will (but meh to terraonion) but I hope these end up everywhere and easily obtained/modified. Would I like a NeoSD Pro? Sure. But do I wanna spend $600 if/when they are available, or $1k+ when they aren't? No way.

Come oooonnnn AliExpress (or someone willing to burn my carts 😂)

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
If it wasn't all the S M Deeeeez I would be more liable to think about it, but I like that even he said he'd be happy if the Chinese just stole his work.

The work with logic [voltage] levels to fix sound was slick too.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Yeah I'd be up for sending my AES 161 cart to someone for flashing with Vortex Edition, but I can also just buy a new one from AliExpress whenever they appear.

The current 161 is really quite good with pick n mix, it contains 98 original retail Neo Geo games. A "Series 2" cart that has all the other games plus filler to use up the rest of the rom space, perfect.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
If it wasn't all the S M Deeeeez I would be more liable to think about it, but I like that even he said he'd be happy if the Chinese just stole his work.

The work with logic [voltage] levels to fix sound was slick too.

SMD?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Yup. I don't mind fresh assembly, but removal/rework of SMD chips isn't my favorite thing by a long shot :/

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
How many chips we talking? It's not too bad 20 or less but fuck doing more than one cart. I think if you were to do one I'd pony up and use chipquik to reduce the pain.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Honestly I'm still lost as to how this is supposed to work.

Judging by that, I doubt it's something an end user will be able to do.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Wow, this rules! Worth it if only to remove that dogshit Terry artwork from the regular nanner cart.
Will also probably wait for them to hit Aliexpress, the SMD stuff I'm surprisingly okay with but I don't really want to invest in flash memory burning equipment just yet

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Tiny smd stuff is fine until you get to bigger packages and stuff usually tied to big copper planes. Then it's ass unless you have specific tools to deal with it.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Really interested to see the whole Neo library on one AliExpress cartridge. Fuck yeah.