So the Wii U........What exactly is Nintendo playing at?

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I didn't see myself picking up this system. Nintendo disappointed me when they announced this and I decided to wait for the new system from MS and Sony. I thought after I picked up my PS4 that I would never get this this. However, the Mario bundle was very enticing and now I can honestly say I am having more fun with the U than my PS4 right now. The system is fun right now, but I don't know what the long term prospects are for it. Still, I have 3 Mario games and Zombi U to get through before I look for another game. I like the simplicity of the system and games I have played so far. The U feels the most like a traditional console IMO. Does the Nintendo TV thing give you access to more football games? I haven't been able to use mine. What is the COD community like on this?

I enjoy the Wii U COD community, size isn't great but I've never had trouble getting into TDM.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I am going to hold out getting one until sometime in 2014, which looks like it will be an excellent year release wise for the system.

Games of interest (exclusives):
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Bayonetta 2
Monolith Software game (xenoblade makers)
Yoshi's Yarn
Zelda (might be 2015 though)

And there are some others that I am personally not interested in but that are system sellers like Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros 4.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I have a Wii U Zelda bundle on the way :)

I'll probably sell the download and pick up a physical copy though.

Best Buy had Luigi U for $15 earlier today, and other games (inc. Zelda and Mario 3D Land) are currently BOGO 50% off.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I have a Wii U Zelda bundle on the way :)

I'll probably sell the download and pick up a physical copy though.

Best Buy had Luigi U for $15 earlier today, and other games (inc. Zelda and Mario 3D Land) are currently BOGO 50% off.

Bummer, I just checked and Luigi is back up to $30...can't believe I missed it at $15 :(

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So I beat Super Mario 3D World just now. One Sentence. Best platformer in a LONG time.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Just that a now poor & hairy Scrooge McDuck is in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Cranky Kong is the big announcement???
WTF, you've got to be kidding me....

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Bummer, I just checked and Luigi is back up to $30...can't believe I missed it at $15 :(

I missed it too - heard about it after the fact. The other offer is still running though. It's good with the following games:
Super Mario 3D World - Nintendo Wii U
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - Nintendo 3DS
New Super Mario Bros. U - Nintendo Wii U
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Nintendo Wii U
Pikmin 3 - Nintendo Wii U
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - Nintendo 3DS
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Nintendo 3DS
Mario Kart 7 - Nintendo 3DS
Pokémon X - Nintendo 3DS
Pokémon Y - Nintendo 3DS
Mario Party: Island Tour - Nintendo 3DS
New Super Luigi U - Nintendo Wii U
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games - Nintendo Wii U

Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat318500050007&type=category

Last edited:

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
The first part of the unified account system came to the Nintendo Network today. Miiverse is now on 3DS. Wallet amount is now shared between the two consoles. Now all we need is games tied to the Nintendo Network ID as well as Purchase on one system play on the other and Nintendo will have cracked it............prob ages away knowing Nintendo....

What will be interesting is that now that miiverse is available on 3DS to view Wii U games if that will boost sales of the Wii U.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I'm still not biting. Probably won't until Smash finally drops, and I expect it to get delayed into 2015. Demoed Wonderful 101 in a store and it was good, but not worth buying the system for.

Smart dude, because you'll be left with your dick in your hand after 3D world. What now? Did I really pay $300 for this?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Cmon now there are some good games still

Wonderful 101
Zombie U
Mario and Luigi U (if you havent played them yet)
Pikmin 3

in 2014 there will be
Bayonetta 2
Donkey Kong TF
Mario Kart
X (monoliths xenoblade game)

some others, but yeah this console is not going to be a major success that is for sure. I expect Nintendo to put out some great games for it, and carry it to the grave sometime in 2016/2017 but they are going to have to figure something out and soon for their home console market.

As long as I get my Mario, Zelda, and Metroid I'm good. That's the only reason I typically buy their consoles but I think they will have some good stuff in between those releases

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,

Wonderful 101
Zombie U
Pikmin 3

in 2014 there will be
Bayonetta 2
Donkey Kong TF
Mario Kart
X (monoliths xenoblade game)

some others, but yeah this console is not going to be a major success that is for sure. I expect Nintendo to put out some great games for it, and carry it to the grave sometime in 2016/2017 but they are going to have to figure something out and soon for their home console market.

As long as I get my Mario, Zelda, and Metroid I'm good. That's the only reason I typically buy their consoles but I think they will have some good stuff in between those releases

Meh, when it hits that $199 sweet spot I'll probably fuck up and buy it....

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Now that the new 3D Mario is here I think holiday sales will pick up.

Although I don't believe Nintendo will touch their target of 9 million lifetime sales through 2013.

I think they're still under 4 million sold?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Number results are due this thursday but some analysts are projecting they only sold around 150k this nov. That would make it the worst selling nintendo system outside of the virtual boy. It's lower than gamecube and dreamcast.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I still can't believe that Nintendo didn't get off their arse's and work hard on releasing Mario Kart 8 in time for Xmas.

Sure, Mario will help sell consoles based on overall good reviews/reception, however, in the bigger picture of all things, Mario Kart would have been the system seller/killer app Nintendo required to truly boost sales for the festive period. As a result, I think Mario 3DW would have had greater sales figures as a result too, being the must have companion title alongside MK8. Not to mention, it would have all timed perfectly with the current void this new gen is facing (re: titles) leading up into the new year.

Oh well...

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I think Nintendo just made too many mistakes with this console and some of it (in regards to third party relations) have been brewing for some time.

When you think about it, Nintendo really pushed away a ton of third party devs, blew it with their choices of game media out of greed which spawned playstation for example. They have painted themselves into this, they cannot or rather they choose not to compete with the wonder twins, and most of their beloved IP is on their amazing handheld devices.

The Wii was lightning in a bottle and proved that a new gimmick could actually overshadow raw hardware and polygons. Games could just be fun again. Sadly the WiiU gamepad while awesome, has not been advertised well or taken advantage of enough. They totally blew their marketing with this console right off the bat, including the name of it. Most people think it's and incremental upgrade. I think and hope Nintendo learned a huge lesson here.

They are going to have to go full steam on cranking out and supporting their home consoles from now on, and if the WiiU is any gauge, I'm not so sure it's profitable for them to do so again with another console. I really don't thing they should bother trying to compete hardware wise with the other two consoles, because that isn't going to sway people either. They need a ton more new IP and their blockbusters to be available with a system launch, and they need to be in a position to trickle the games out over the course of the consoles life. They are not yet in that position, even though they have begun hiring a ton.

Honestly after this gen of home consoles, I think the PC will emerge as the best option (shit it is already) for people that want more hardcore games and options. We are going to witness a huge video game crash in my opinion.

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member

Wonderful 101
Zombie U
Pikmin 3

Not to be a jerk, but ZombiU is not a good game...at all.

The Wii U has 4.5 good (exclusive) games currently.
2.5 which are Mario platformers.

Of the 5 "big" releases for 2014, one of the them is yet another platformer (DK TF).

So presumably, at the end of 2014 we will have 9.5 good games on the Wii U.
3.5 of which are platformers...
So, at the end of 2014, 37% of good games on the Wii U will be platformers...bah

Nintendo has made alot of mistakes with the Wii U...the least of which is the hardware.

I mean, their big announcement was that Cranky Kong will be in DK TF...
Nintendo is trolling Wii U owners hard. F* 'em.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Needs a new Contra game.

Definitely. Contra Rebirth on WiiWare was pretty fun.

Thats the other problem. The 3DS eShop is super awesome, but the Wii U has pretty much nothing...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Definitely. Contra Rebirth on WiiWare was pretty fun.

Thats the other problem. The 3DS eShop is super awesome, but the Wii U has pretty much nothing...

More people should have played the rebirth games. But unfortunately most people don't even know they existed.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Not to divert, but if you had a Nin-hard on right now and had never fucked with the Wii, it's an incredible value - especially right now. Nobody gives 2 shits about, people are still dumping them, and for the most part the cave dwellers haven't had time to create demand for the 6 or 7 good games.

Under $100 you can have a Wii and some of the best games the system had, especially if you're on the Clist skim. Shit, you can buy used consoles for $50 retail. Galaxies, New Super Mario Bros, Kirby's Epic Yarn, 2 ...mmm...Ok.. Zelda games, Punch-Out!!, etc ~

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Not to divert, but if you had a Nin-hard on right now and had never fucked with the Wii, it's an incredible value - especially right now. Nobody gives 2 shits about, people are still dumping them, and for the most part the cave dwellers haven't had time to create demand for the 6 or 7 good games.

Under $100 you can have a Wii and some of the best games the system had, especially if you're on the Clist skim. Shit, you can buy used consoles for $50 retail. Galaxies, New Super Mario Bros, Kirby's Epic Yarn, 2 ...mmm...Ok.. Zelda games, Punch-Out!!, etc ~
I've been thinking about it. Any of the good games use the classic controller as an option? I just hate the wii-mote on multiple levels.