So the Wii U........What exactly is Nintendo playing at?

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Yes I purchased my machine day one and do I now regret it....Yeah! It has masses of potential and really is a fun machine for multi-player but I just dont get what Nintendo is doing with it....

It kinda feels like the 3DS all over again, with a poor start untill Nintendo get over there ego and admit its failing and decide to do take action and do something about it.

Games are being delayed and cancelled for the Wii U, third party support is poor at best and all the time there is no promotion for the machine at all from what I have seen.

I no Nintendo will do good with the Wii U, they always do but man they really dont help themselves sometimes.

Personally speaking I think keeping silent is a dumb move big time, Wii U consoles are everywhere over here on the second hand market and for a new system thats terrible!

I personally think Nintendo need to have a amazing show at this years E3, all the big games need to be shown and the show needs to be all about the Wii U. Nintendo must know this with both the new xbox and PS4 around the corner.

What do you all think about the current and future Wii U situation?

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Besides Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101, I can't think of any notable 3rd party exclusive on the Wii U, and most developers blatantly expressed their lack of interest on the system. I still think Nintendo will make it out of this generation just fine relying solely on their first party games though.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Besides Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101, I can't think of any notable 3rd party exclusive on the Wii U, and most developers blatantly expressed their lack of interest on the system. I still think Nintendo will make it out of this generation just fine relying solely on their first party games though.

I definitely agree with the first part. But after hearing that Aliens:Colonial Marines was just totally axed because both the game and the system are sales graveyards right now... I dunnooooo.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I think the limited response to this post speaks volumes. With a lot of new releases people either love it or hate it, the worst response of all is indifference.

Really hoping nintendo turn it around, the video game scene needs nintendo, but a video game only company is only ever two failed systems away from the graveyard.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
the biggest issue the Wii U will have is that next gen is going back to x86 CPU's as their core and ditching Power PC

the Wii-U uses a Power PC CPU. It was a terrible design decision in my opinion. Once the PS4 and Xbox 720 get some steam , say by, this time next year - the Wii U will be finished.

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
the biggest issue the Wii U will have is that next gen is going back to x86 CPU's as their core and ditching Power PC
The biggest issue is lack of games. I bought one day one also and it is rarely used. The battery life is also a major issue on that controller. And my biggest peeve with the system so far.....introduce classic controller support for Mario for fucks sake.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I really just like to think of it as the Bayonetta 2 PCB

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
They better wow at E3 this year. I'm totally regretting buying it and not upgrading to a newer model 360 since my disk drive has been flaking out on me. Other then the usual staple of Nintendo games that always come out, or have a chance to come out the only two games I want to play are Wonderfull 101 and Bayonetta 2. I hope Nintendo will dip into their lineup of classics and remake them. We haven't seen an F-Zero since AX/GX, doubt we'll ever see another Mother game on these shores again, plus other obscure games that'd be fun on the new system like Game Freak's Drill Dozer. I'd also like to see them take a chance and make some new, fresh IP's of things we've never seen before. Not more shovelware minigame collections.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I liked it when it came out but I've been waiting for more games since december. They said that Pikmin 3 and Rayman would be released in the first few month but I'm still waiting. Oh and fuck Ubisoft for not releasing a completed game just to make more money out of it on other consoles. Rayman was suppposed to be a Wii U exclusive, etc... It's the Gamecube all over again. I'm really disapointed by what I got for the money I've spent. Also, it seems to take forever to get a good selection of virtual console games, they're releasing 1 game a month, way to go. They should have released Super Metroid on day 1, who plays Ballon Fight for more than 5 minutes anyway. I wish I didn't spent $400+ to play 2 exclusives titles, oh well.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Hi Jamie. Here's a copy & paste of related comments I made back in March from the 'So I ordered a WiiU'... thread:

It's nice to see that Nintendo have really been planning ahead and taking MASSIVE advantage of the release window they have had > PS4 & "720"... or not.

Any faith I had in this console trumping the Wii in terms of appeal to the modern gamer are slowly diminishing month by month. Although I enjoyed the Wii 'for what it was' and its 'selection' of games that appealed to me (i.e. NMH series, S&P2, Ghost Squad, Tenchu etc) I fear the WiiU will truly be the successor to the Wii: an actual Wii2.

That wasn't what I (or many people) wanted nor did I expect it tbh. Guess Nintendo are truly starting to slide into that uncomfortable Capcom & SEGA territory with the Wii's popularity being a bit of a fluke, albeit, a good one.

I REALLY don't want one of these if I was honest, however, a good Zelda, Metroid or even Starfox will always gravitate me back to Nintendo. Not Mario (games) though. Never been into him since he hit 3D, and for that matter, wasn't too fussed about this SNES activities either. Love Mario games on the NES though (w/NES gfx)...

Yep. Still feel the same way...

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
The Wii U is having the same problem's as with previous Nintendo system's including the N64 and Gamecube. Lack of third party support, exclusive title's few and far inbetween makes it a very unworthwhile purchase at the moment.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Yeah, glad I resisted on this. Was really tempted to pull the trigger on this for a while after it came out. Ultimately resisted the urge and effectively threw away my reservation deposit. I don't regret it.

Wii U will be fine later on. I remember thinking the 3DS seemed a lot more doomed than Wii U does. Guess we'll see.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
i'd like to get one just to play new super mario bros, but the pricing is a tad ridiculous

and yeah, just doesn't seem like there's any real future for it ... it's gonna take some five-star first party titles to save this thing

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
The biggest issue is lack of games. I bought one day one also and it is rarely used. The battery life is also a major issue on that controller. And my biggest peeve with the system so far.....introduce classic controller support for Mario for fucks sake.

Lack of games is partly due to different architecture I imagine

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Right now I feel serious buyers remorse...at least I only paid half of thing myself.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Most people over here still don´t even realize that it´s a new console. They think its another new controller for the Wii that they don´t need like the balance board.

Give me F-Zero GX HD and I´ll buy!

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
Lack of games is partly due to different architecture I imagine

Definitely. Im betting lack of frostbite and ue4 is directly related to the ppc architecture.

Still though. A solid metroid prime, punch out, and Zelda entry would sell me.

Also, I keep dreaming of a one shot Mario entry with a darker tone. That alone would sell me a system.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
doing just fine for me. It's not going to have a release schedule like the 6-7 yr old consoles. It takes a while to build a pipeline.

But.. i agree that most people think it's a wii accessory.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Yup still enjoying the hell out of mine. Any time we get a crew over here, it's the first system that gets played. Looking forward to more games, but honestly not bothered by the "lack" of new games. I've got a backlog so huge it's not even funny.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
One of my new roommates has one.

New Mario is great, though quick to play through.

At the moment kinda meh, but to me it's just about the lack of games. Grade-A 1st party titles will come.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Totally agree with what alot of you guys are saying regarding the Wii U.

I just personally feel that for a new console that's going to be quite under powered compared to whats coming up from the competition, Nintendo really needs to use this time to get machines into peoples homes and re enforce why you cant get this type of gameplay anywhere else in order to sell the console.

I know that Nintendo will deliver, they always do but they always seem to make the same mistakes and never seem to learn. That said there one of the best developers out there and what they eventually put out is always worth the wait.

Even through I'm bashing Nintendo to an extent don't get me wrong I really do enjoy the machine and can see a great future for it.

I have the deluxe console with NSMBU/ZombieU and Nintendo Land.

NSMBU is amazing, rock hard old school gameplay and for me in places has that Mario World/SMB3 feel. ZombieU is a great game that really shows off the use of the gamepad that begs for a more polished sequel that I'm hoping is in the works.......and Nintendo Land is the best local multi-player game I have played in ages. There are also a few good games on the eshop as well.

The console really should have launched with a killer app, something like a new Zelda, 3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero or at least Pikmin 3 just something to really sell the system. What we got was a few good games but nothing with the big wow factor to make people think "I must own this"

Yes it's Nintendo in HD at last and while that maybe enough for some people for others its not. Nintendo is still years behind doing as always there own thing and usually for the worst. I grew up with Nintendo and love there games but they really need to sort this out.

Like I said before here is hoping that E3 will be a strong one for Nintendo and the Wii U with a massive line up of games to get excited for. In the meantime just a few more quality games wouldnt hurt!

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Anyone comparing this to the N64, at this stage, clearly doesn't remember that there were four great N64 games to choose from by Nintendo already. Mario 64, Pilotwings, Waverace and Mario Kart (came out a few months after system was released). All these games are better than what is out for the Wii U right now. And that is pathetic, because N64 had a terrible line up.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
The Wii U is, hands down, the worst console I have dealt with since the N64. I say this from a hardware and firmware sort of perspective. The Wii had CRAP video-output and other strange decisions putting a damper on the fun, but the Wii U just takes the cake. The menu system is slow as fuck and setting the thing up was beyond irritating. It's a NINTENDO console so it ought to be the least nerdy console out there, right? Nope! Just getting it on-fucking-line took some googling I'm sure some mom out there wouldn't be able to figure out, setting it up for the kids or whatever. Transferring data from the Wii was a circus show unlike any I've ever experienced on a console. Setting up an Xbox 360 or a PS3 is a breeze in comparison, and the menu systems don't take 15 seconds to load the next screen, EVEN IF YOU'RE JUST GOING BACK TO THE PREVIOUS SCREEN. Jesus fucking christ, Nintendo.

That said, if the next Xenoblade is as good as the first one, it'll be all worth it. Some say it's online but I refuse to believe that. I got the Wii U premium package for a decent price. The GamePad screen is a novelty or a useful feature depending on what you need it for. Off-TV play works well, but you might never need it. I've used it once when watching a boring basketball game.

evil son

Bead Banger
I just use mines to change source output on my tv since my tv remote died :-( I am going to grab that directors cut of deus ex as I never finished the ps3 version I had.I heard its going to be even better than the pc version other than that my system just been collecting dust