So that Sony Price Hike. An extra $40 right off the bat.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
There's an awful lot of "I've never played games on PC but have strong opinions about it" energy in here.

Any game made in the last decade takes a look at what hardware you have and optimizes itself for your hardware specs the first time you launch it. You can tweak those settings if you feel like it but most people never do unless there's an issue or they have specific wants/needs (higher FoV, lower input lag, etc.).

Perhaps I should've added ignorance to my list of reasons people still prefer consoles.
The optimization I'm talking about is the optimization a developer does when they know their target hardware.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The fact is that a lot of people just don't even want to think about messing with basic shit that PC people have been used to dealing with for years. Maybe it is ignorance but I know personally I've bought PC versions of games and basic shit doesn't work, like controls or the game crashes. Then when you start looking into getting it to work it's a rabbit hole of bullshit.

A lot of PC guys have an "All you gotta do is..." attitude. "All you gotta do is..." is almost always short for a bunch of bullshit most people don't want to deal with.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Mostly PC gaming entails going on forums and trying very hard to convince strangers you're not secretly regretting your 1900 dollar video card purchase for what amounts to a 12% performance increase over your old one.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Some games look better on PC, all good, all fine, but I don't wanna deal with PC bs anymore, did that for 20+ years when I was working in IT and I'm sick and tired of it. Consoles may be inferior, who cares, I've stopped comparing specs when I was 16 or so, just want a system I can shove a medium of some sort into and play away with as little kerfuffle as possible, occasional updates nonwithstanding.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The fact is that a lot of people just don't even want to think about messing with basic shit that PC people have been used to dealing with for years. Maybe it is ignorance but I know personally I've bought PC versions of games and basic shit doesn't work, like controls or the game crashes. Then when you start looking into getting it to work it's a rabbit hole of bullshit.

A lot of PC guys have an "All you gotta do is..." attitude. "All you gotta do is..." is almost always short for a bunch of bullshit most people don't want to deal with.
I've been out of building custom PC's for 20 years. Now when I go to try and upgrade the video card for my HP and Asus machines it always shows up not fitting or not working with my system. It's not worth the hassle to figure out. The really high end cards burn themselves out in 2-3 years anyway.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
That the thing though with consoles these days.
You go to play a game and it doesn't like the firmware, gotta update that.
Then it wont start because it doesn't like the version store authentication version.
Then the game has an update!

What the difference?
Play the Colecovision, you don't have to worry about that crap with the it or the GBA.

You don't have to optimize the game if you don't want to.
Most everything works right out the gate.
I've had two games I can't get to work out of maybe 100.

It was a PITA back in the day with different non compatible sound & video cards but it's been easy peasy plug & play for the last 15 years or so.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Clearly I'm just yelling in to the void so I'm going to leave this be... people are welcome to play their games however they like but the gap between how frustrating it is to play games on PC versus console closed ages ago (not an opinion, a widely-recognized fact) and if you're fed up with Sony and MS continually squeezing your tit for more cash, I'm happy to help anyone escape that circle of pain.

That said....

Mostly PC gaming entails going on forums and trying very hard to convince strangers you're not secretly regretting your 1900 dollar video card purchase for what amounts to a 12% performance increase over your old one.

The idea that Fami would consider it embarrassing for someone filled with regret to use boring statistics no one cares about to convince strangers on internet forums of anything could quite possibly be worthy of a Self-Awareness Darwin Award.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The idea that Fami would consider it embarrassing for someone filled with regret to use boring statistics no one cares about to convince strangers on internet forums of anything could quite possibly be worthy of a Self-Awareness Darwin Award.
Where did I say anything about embarrassing? I stated a fact.

The fact that you're insecure about how much you spent on your PC.

It's okay, bro. I'm not embarrassed about your insecurity.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Other than FPS and point/click adventure games I've just never really thought about a computer as my main way to play.
That thought has been shifting but it's weird for me to think of not having a console.
To be completely honest, I think a lot of that shift in thought is how much better and available controllers have become for computers.
15-20 years ago a good pad or arcade stick was a PITA to get for a PC, now we're dumbfounded if we find one that doesn't work.
It feels like now that we basically have a near universal controller and monitor options that we notice less and less what machine is running the game so long as it's running correctly.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I've been using an Xbox one wireless controller

Xbox Core Wireless Controller – Carbon Black – Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows Devices​

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Clearly I'm just yelling in to the void so I'm going to leave this be... people are welcome to play their games however they like but the gap between how frustrating it is to play games on PC versus console closed ages ago (not an opinion, a widely-recognized fact) and if you're fed up with Sony and MS continually squeezing your tit for more cash,
I posted this already, and no one reacted or replied to it: $500 is cheap for what you get in the box from Sony or Microsoft. They try to make it up on the back end with licensing and subscription fees. The hardware is cheap compared to PC's, but you're buying into their ecosystem. That's the trade-off.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I was in Target yesterday (:oops:) and they had PS5s in stock. I was like hmm should I pick one up? So I decided to mosey on over to the game section. I looked at the games for like 3 minutes and then came to the conclusion that there wasn’t one damn game I wanted to play.

So I remain ps5-less. I keep trying to want one guys, I really do but, oh well 🤷‍♂️
Demon's Souls says nut up mao you commie sonuvabitch.

[if it wasn't in stock then you're right and I feel terrible]

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I was in Target yesterday (:oops:) and they had PS5s in stock. I was like hmm should I pick one up? So I decided to mosey on over to the game section. I looked at the games for like 3 minutes and then came to the conclusion that there wasn’t one damn game I wanted to play.

So I remain ps5-less. I keep trying to want one guys, I really do but, oh well 🤷‍♂️
They're in stock everywhere, and the price is back up to $500 from a recent $50 discount, so that was the right call.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
...There's no denyining the value for money and service the consoles offer a lot of people to get them into gaming.

The problem is, however, the more they get you to invest, the very things that could have been said to make the console market accessible, then starts to make the environment quite difficult to manage, and difficult to fit to customer desires... and to switch services you have to generally sacrifice your buy-in.

Inevitably, behind the scenes, there's also a lot of disquiet about how such services are valued and funded.

The pc market is not immune to this either, but is at least a shared platform avoids which helps to at least encourage solutions and competition a little more directly, that although potentially quite frustrating, time consuming, and costly, does at least grant the enthusiast consumer more choice and control. But it's hard to tell where licenses and direct to consumer services may leave many newer titles in 15 or so years.

Does paying $40 more help with that? Probably not... but maybe? :)

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
One, two gens ago exclusives were king. I used to think hardcore PC players disdain for consoles was bizarre even last gen because naturally you're going for the platform that has the games you want to play. My PS3 paid for itself with the Yakuza series alone for example, I would be much more unhappy on a PC at that time. LOL, PC only people are only getting to play the awesome Red Dead Redemption 13 years after I got to play it... on a Nintendo Switch emulator. :keke:

Nowadays though I feel like the console ecosystem is very weak. I mean look at this shit:

It's a joke that writes itself. My PS5 is now a glorified PS4 Pro+ for the PS4 games I still have, and a 4k bluray player, and I only don't sell it because I gave my PS4 to my sister. But to be honest the industry is more at fault than the platforms themselves, there's been hardly any game that made me go HOLY SHIT I MUST PLAY for the past couple of years aside one or two like TLOU2. And when cool games come out it's for virtually all platforms anyway. PC, PS5, Xbox Something Something, who gives a fuck.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Meanwhile the Nintendo kids are happily in their corner playing their Zeldas and Marios on generations-behind hardware.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Meanwhile the Nintendo kids are happily in their corner playing their Zeldas and Marios on generations-behind hardware.
Lolz at calling out "generations-behind hardware" on a site dedicated to a console that debut in the early 90s.
I would rather play a game that may not look so hot but is solid fun than some amazingly beautiful game that is boring and shit.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Nintendo abandoned the hardware arms race because of the PS2 generation. The Xbox and Gamecube were way, way more capable than the PS2 and the PS2 outsold them combined and tripled. PS1 also basically tripled up the N64 despite being less powerful, even though the N64 was limited by its storage medium. And the Wii and DS curbstomped the PS3, Xbox 360, and PSP.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Lolz at calling out "generations-behind hardware" on a site dedicated to a console that debut in the early 90s.
I would rather play a game that may not look so hot but is solid fun than some amazingly beautiful game that is boring and shit.
I think he's just stating a fact, not calling anyone out. The hardware is outdated and Nintendo fans don't care as long as they get a first party game every couple years.

HellioN

20 Year Member
I think he's just stating a fact, not calling anyone out. The hardware is outdated and Nintendo fans don't care as long as they get a first party game every couple years.
Maybe not the best choice of wording.
I don't think Alec was calling anyone out either.
I just thought it was funny he was talking about Nintendo's "old" hardware on a website dedicated to old as heck hardware.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
So how much do you have to pay to play vs online?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You're kind of implying that anyone who enjoys retrogaming can't also care about cutting edge hardware. Of course old games are still fun regardless of the technology. I still prefer my modern gaming to be cutting edge. A console sold in the 90's when we were young and something on the market today are hardly the same thing. I respect the Switch for doing its own thing, but I also hate seeing some of the games compromised to run on that hardware too.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
So I'm confused, The base Ps+ is only being increased by $20, from $60 -> $80. The PS+Extra tier is being increased $35 from $100 ->$135. The PS+ Premium is the only one that's being increased by $40 from $120 -> $160.
Honestly I don't think Premium is worth it. Though I honestly think a lot of people would subscribe if they shut down PSN store for PS3/PSP/VITA

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What’s the difference between the tiers?

At least MS markets their subs as different products: Xbox Live and Xbox Gamepass (with a third sub being a combination of both at a discounted price.)