So I have been playing the RE 5 demo

fiolinagermi

Zero's Secretary
Remember DMC4?!!

The new Bionic Commando looks better than R5. Not developed by Capcom Japan either... Prolly too busy with Wii ports.
uh, I hated DMC4. Ok, lets see, my sword, has a motorcycle handle, that I can rev up, and then ride on as a super move. No, super lame.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
uh, I hated DMC4. Ok, lets see, my sword, has a motorcycle handle, that I can rev up, and then ride on as a super move. No, super lame.

Yeah, that game get's my vote for biggest disappointment of 2008.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
im convinced i just dont like resident evil, new or old.

the coop thing removes any of the isolation felt in survival horror.

the enemies arent hard to kill at all, and they just seem to gravitate towards you. i died and i didnt even know i was being hit.

more brown is real graphics.

the only thing you have to survive from is the shitty camera and slow moving controls. why does the camera have to be right on your guy blocking 1/3rd of the screen?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
i'm looking forward to this, fuck the haterz

don't really care that co-op is available, i won't be playing this with someone else unless i beat it and just get really bored

RE4 was tons of fun, so I'm not exactly terrified of an updated version of that

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Hmm... just spent the afternoon playing the demo and my overwhelming impression was that this is just Biohazard 4.5 with Army of Two's partner system.

I loved Biohazard 4, and if all that Biohazard 5 was was an updated version of 4 with prettier graphics I'd still be a happy man.

I'm pretty disappointed that the creators decided to go for the Army of Two approach. Like not sonic said, the camera was already pretty lousy, and because Sheva's in the way half the time I found it much harder to navigate through the maps.

If they wanted to implement co-op play, they should have done it like Doom 3 - only one character in single player and both characters only in co-op.

The new graphics are beautiful however, and I kinda like the new "real-time" inventory screen. It kinda makes the game a little more frantic, and brings back a little of the survival horror feel to the run-and-gun style.

Did anyone else notice that the "zombies" seemed to have creatures very similar to "Las Plagas" inside them. I wonder if this is "Las Plagas" again, or something new. I'm guessing Plagas, because there can't be *that* many parasites that turn their hosts into homicidal zombies out there.

One final complaint - the chainsaw wielding guard in the shantytown area... Just. Would. Not. Die. I found my willing suspension of disbelief sorely stretched by how ridiculously difficult that thing was to kill. Five exploding barrels, three grenades, several electrical shocks, and countless machine gun rounds to kill a zombie?! The executioner boss went down more quickly, and he was physically twice as large.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Hmm... just spent the afternoon playing the demo and my overwhelming impression was that this is just Biohazard 4.5 with Army of Two's partner system.

I loved Biohazard 4, and if all that Biohazard 5 was was an updated version of 4 with prettier graphics I'd still be a happy man.

I'm pretty disappointed that the creators decided to go for the Army of Two approach. Like not sonic said, the camera was already pretty lousy, and because Sheva's in the way half the time I found it much harder to navigate through the maps.

If they wanted to implement co-op play, they should have done it like Doom 3 - only one character in single player and both characters only in co-op.

The new graphics are beautiful however, and I kinda like the new "real-time" inventory screen. It kinda makes the game a little more frantic, and brings back a little of the survival horror feel to the run-and-gun style.

Did anyone else notice that the "zombies" seemed to have creatures very similar to "Las Plagas" inside them. I wonder if this is "Las Plagas" again, or something new. I'm guessing Plagas, because there can't be *that* many parasites that turn their hosts into homicidal zombies out there.

One final complaint - the chainsaw wielding guard in the shantytown area... Just. Would. Not. Die. I found my willing suspension of disbelief sorely stretched by how ridiculously difficult that thing was to kill. Five exploding barrels, three grenades, several electrical shocks, and countless machine gun rounds to kill a zombie?! The executioner boss went down more quickly, and he was physically twice as large.

Nice impressions. I loved RE4, and I'm still looking forward to this game. However, I've definitely been pining for the original RE experience. Something less Gears of War and something more survival horror. These games are great for what they are, but they really don't scare anymore.

This is not to say that I miss the days of ridiculous door puzzles or anything, but I do miss the feeling of being isolated, hunted by ravening zombies and being low on ammo with very few options for survival.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member

Did you punch him while he was stunned? It took me a couple tries to kill the dude but it seemed like I was able to take him down faster when I ran up and uppercut him a few times while he was recovering.

fiolinagermi

Zero's Secretary

don't really care that co-op is available, i won't be playing this with someone else unless i beat it and just get really bored

If playing co-op in this game was an "option", I would not be against this game as much as I am and would absolutely suspend my disbelief, because I think capcom does in fact have a right to reinvent the series. But the creator of RE5 said in an interview that the co-op feature would be "essential" to finishing the game. Not optional, essential. They have built this function into the actual gameplay of the game just like they did with Outbreak. That is why the camera, and shiva play so rediculous in one player mode. I do not think one play mode will get the treatment that co-op is getting, and to get the full experience of RE5, your going to have to go online.

That is why I think this game will fail.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.

Exactly. RE4 was a great game. The hardcore fans seem to hate it, but I've been playing the series since day one (though I never bothered with any of the spinoffs) and RE4 is still my favorite. I miss the feeling of isolation and danger the old games gave you, but I think RE4 is just plain fun. As long as the single player game in RE5 is the same I'll be happy.

im convinced i just dont like resident evil, new or old.

the coop thing removes any of the isolation felt in survival horror.

the enemies arent hard to kill at all, and they just seem to gravitate towards you. i died and i didnt even know i was being hit.

more brown is real graphics.

the only thing you have to survive from is the shitty camera and slow moving controls. why does the camera have to be right on your guy blocking 1/3rd of the screen?

I don't understand, you say the enemies are too easy but you died and didn't know you were getting hit?

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
if im getting hit but dont realize it, that doesnt mean the enemies are easy or hard to kill.

it means that the feedback is lacking (both visual through character response, life bar, screen shaking going red. auditory, i honestly dont recally my guy saying or doing much of anything. and rumble, maybe it rumbled but i dont remember.) when i finally did die, i didnt think i died but just fell over. theres definitely a disconnect between you and your character. (i dont know his name. chris leon some new guy? barry?)

but when you can see the zombies, like in the begining when youre picking them off one shot at a time through a window, theyre painfully easy to kill. one to three shots max. plus the fact that your partner is getting half the hits in too.

another part of being hit and not realizing it is because your guy and your partner take up 90% of the screen realestate in close quarters.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Did they ever do a sequel for Sweet Home?

tsukaesugi

Did you punch him while he was stunned? It took me a couple tries to kill the dude but it seemed like I was able to take him down faster when I ran up and uppercut him a few times while he was recovering.

Yeah, I read about this over at GameFAQs a little while after I posted my original message. Someone over there said you can stun the Chainsaw guard with three headshots from the pistol, and then run up and punch him.

I just thought it was ridiculous how much damage he could take. There's a limit to how much the human frame can withstand, regardless of whether or not you've been mutated by parasites. If what you say is true, and you can kill him faster by punching instead of shooting him, that's even crazier.

I loved the Executioner though. Great character design. (And not so tough to kill.)

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Yeah, I read about this over at GameFAQs a little while after I posted my original message. Someone over there said you can stun the Chainsaw guard with three headshots from the pistol, and then run up and punch him.

I just thought it was ridiculous how much damage he could take. There's a limit to how much the human frame can withstand, regardless of whether or not you've been mutated by parasites. If what you say is true, and you can kill him faster by punching instead of shooting him, that's even crazier.

I loved the Executioner though. Great character design. (And not so tough to kill.)

It's starting to seem like maybe that Chainsaw guard isn't meant to be killed, hence the ridiculous amount of damage he is programmed to receive. Think of it as pressure, like a timer for a game without time counter mechanic, or like that white invincible ghost you couldn't kill in Bubble Bobble.

There's not an item drop that you need to get from him is there?

tsukaesugi

This is not to say that I miss the days of ridiculous door puzzles or anything, but I do miss the feeling of being isolated, hunted by ravening zombies and being low on ammo with very few options for survival.

The demo starts off like that - you've got a pistol and a shotgun, and only ten extra rounds for each. Once the zombies start surrounding the building I was in, I remember thinking "oh shit, oh shit, how am I going to kill all these bastards", and then they started dropping ammo and I realized this is just Biohazard 4 all over again.

The new inventory system does kinda kinda kinda make up for it. You can hotkey four items to your D-pad, but if you want to use anything else, or do something complicated like give your partner an item, you've got to be someplace safe to pull it off. In the demo, these safe areas / times, were few and far between.

tsukaesugi

It's starting to seem like maybe that Chainsaw guard isn't meant to be killed, hence the ridiculous amount of damage he is programmed to receive. Think of it as pressure, like a timer for a game without time counter mechanic, or like that white invincible ghost you couldn't kill in Bubble Bobble.

Yeah, you need to kill him to get a key.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member

Yeah there is. He drops the key to the door you need to go through....which ends the demo.

Yeah it's stupid that punching him kills him. But its a video game so whatever. Chalk it up to old school Japanese video game boss dynamics ;)

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Yeah there is. He drops the key to the door you need to go through....which ends the demo.

Yeah it's stupid that punching him kills him. But its a video game so whatever. Chalk it up to old school Japanese video game boss dynamics ;)

It's Krauser all over again.

I kept running out the timer until I figured out his pattern and decided to knife him on a whim, since he seemed to block everything with his wing.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Is Sheva picking up her own ammo every a problem in the demo? I thought it might be annoying if she a. takes everything or b. you constantly have to give her stuff when she runs out.

I watched some other movies of the demo and I noticed that when the chainsaw guy gets close to you he raises the chainsaw but then just stands there with it. Does he ever actually try to hit you with it? I chalked it up to a glitch in the A.I.

tsukaesugi

Is Sheva picking up her own ammo every a problem in the demo? I thought it might be annoying if she a. takes everything or b. you constantly have to give her stuff when she runs out.

Yeah, it can be if you've got the machine gun, and she's got the rifle, but she picks up machine gun ammo anyway. You can always get it back from her from the inventory screen, but sometimes it's just too damn frantic (in the demo anyway). And sometimes she will scoop up handgun ammo out from under one of your kills. Woman! Give me back my ammo, damn you.

I watched some other movies of the demo and I noticed that when the chainsaw guy gets close to you he raises the chainsaw but then just stands there with it. Does he ever actually try to hit you with it? I chalked it up to a glitch in the A.I.

I dunno, I've never let the guy get close enough to me to try.

; )

The two times I did "die" in the demo happened when Mr. Chainsaw hacked Sheva in half, not me. Which is another reason why the co-op system is annoying.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Yeah you can get chain sawed. But it did not decapitate. Which I think is because it's a Japanese demo.

You can tell Sheva to pick up the kind of ammo she needs pressing B when she is near. And yeah you can get ammo from her when she is close and you are in the inventory menu. The A.I. does give you ammo every so often by herself though.

I can see this game getting frustrating on harder difficulty levels while playing with the computer.

fiolinagermi

Zero's Secretary
Shiva is meant to be controlled by a human player, not the computer. That is why she is annoying. And the difficulty level is set for two player co-op, not single player. As I said earlier, the creator of the game made it so you have to play co-op to get through the game properly.

Your suppose to attack the boss with two people. Your suppose to be able to plan strategies by handing off items between each other and using the headset to communicate online. Thats all part of the strategy of the game. Without that, the game is worthless.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Its great!

Its Resi 4 with nicer graphics & everyone loved Resi 4 at the time, most people only complain about it now because of the graphics. Well 5 looks gorgeous.

Its the same old formula, town/city/mansion full of zombies/nutters and you get to kill them all! I can't believe anyone expected anything more, its been like that since the 1st game.

I really think co-op is gonna make this game, its what i've always wanted in a resident evil game and i think its gonna deliver, i had a good go on live co-op with a mate and we had an awesome time and i'm glad they chucked Split Screen in aswell!

Roll on March.

Edit : The AI Partner is cool, she looks after her sefl quite well and heals you and stuff i think she works quite well, not as helpless as i imagined she would be. A few bits like the boost up to get to higher places reminded me of Army of Two. I loved Army of Two.

Controls are fine imo, i like the new style which are more akin to a FPS but they still have that resi evil feel to them, not being able to move while aiming is a tradition and i'm glad they have kept it that way.

Last edited: