SNK main character swap for CvS2

Krusader

Rugal's Thug
I still think Rugal should've been the boss...

Akuma should've been paired with Omega Rugal or Orochi too. It doesn't seem right only having Akuma by himself unpaired.

S

ShinYagami

R3:16 made his way here...welcome there, fellow old wolf. Ms. Bolton will be happy to see you're here.

As far as Terry replacing Kyo, it makes sense. Wonder what else they have in store...

S

ShinYagami

In terms of rivalries, I would have liked to have seen Bison paired up with Rugal as well..but their popularity preceded them.

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rugal 3:16:
But CHECK THIS OUT

One of the reasons I heard that Kyo is giving a MASSIVELY not that deserved push by SNK is..

Terry is an American

and SNK wouldn't let an american be their main man.. (talk about racism)

That's quite interesting. If it's true I wonder if Aruze handling KoF01 will lead to Kim stepping up as the new SNK main man.

Rugal 3:16

Quiz Detective
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krusader:
I still think Rugal should've been the boss...

Akuma should've been paired with Omega Rugal or Orochi too. It doesn't seem right only having Akuma by himself unpaired.

Well Rugal WILL outrank Geese If they appeared together In a KOF game since that's Rugal's territory as much in proportion as how Kyo outranks Terry Bogard, whereas in KOF Geese is not a boss (he even has a team) so you see how KOF heirarchy sums things up.. CvS is a crossover so it's more bent on Popularity than anything else a KOF can humbly influence therefore Geese outrank Rugal JUST AS HE WOULD OUTRANK every other boss (goenitz, mr. big, krauser) etc.

BTW no I would not want a Geese-Sagat pairing becauyse THAT WOULD PISS geese fans. sure Sagat looks cool and all (but he's a sub-boss) and that's the drift.

------------------
I'm goin up I'm comin' in.. pull em' down and let's ***********IN

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I don't think Kim will become the main man or even a major player. The series belongs to K' now, and that's that. I'm a Terry Bogard fan before anything else, but even Terry is a supporting character in K's story.

But as for SNK's 'main man' overall, I think it's safe to say that it's Terry. He's always enjoyed a privileged spot at the top, has been in more SNK games than any other character and is consistently at the forefront of every game he's in. I don't think SNK suffers from the same type of Japanese 'nationalism' that other Japanese companies seem to have. They made Terry, an American, the main character in what was their marquee series until KOF came along, FF.

Geese is the ultimate bad guy in the SNK universe. Terry is his arch enemy. If Geese is the top bad guy, Terry is the top good guy. Nobody, not even the Orochi clan, has impacted SNK's universe as much as Geese Howard. Even in Capcom VS. SNK, the bad guys are Bison and GEESE. Not Rugal, not Krauser, not Yamazaki or the Jin brothers or Kain, Mr. Big, Mr. Karate, Wyler, Orochi, Goenitz, Krizalid, Zero or anybody else that I may have missed.

It was Geese.

And only one man, continuity wise, has what it takes to beat him.

Terry Bogard.

And so, Terry is the main man.

Whether Kyo fans like it or not
smile.gif

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso
'Because of my bloody life, it was no accident that I was involved in the troubles...'

Kukacherrn

n00b
Terry Bogard is the embodiment(Heck! I don't even know if that's a word in English) of SNK!

------------------
"Man! If you did it and lived then you probably did it right!"
"All good things succumb to those who wait"

Rugal 3:16

Quiz Detective
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Taiso:
I don't think Kim will become the main man or even a major player. The series belongs to K' now, and that's that. I'm a Terry Bogard fan before anything else, but even Terry is a supporting character in K's story.

But as for SNK's 'main man' overall, I think it's safe to say that it's Terry. He's always enjoyed a privileged spot at the top, has been in more SNK games than any other character and is consistently at the forefront of every game he's in. I don't think SNK suffers from the same type of Japanese 'nationalism' that other Japanese companies seem to have. They made Terry, an American, the main character in what was their marquee series until KOF came along, FF.

Geese is the ultimate bad guy in the SNK universe. Terry is his arch enemy. If Geese is the top bad guy, Terry is the top good guy. Nobody, not even the Orochi clan, has impacted SNK's universe as much as Geese Howard. Even in Capcom VS. SNK, the bad guys are Bison and GEESE. Not Rugal, not Krauser, not Yamazaki or the Jin brothers or Kain, Mr. Big, Mr. Karate, Wyler, Orochi, Goenitz, Krizalid, Zero or anybody else that I may have missed.

It was Geese.

And only one man, continuity wise, has what it takes to beat him.

Terry Bogard.

And so, Terry is the main man.

Whether Kyo fans like it or not
smile.gif

I totally agree even if KOF encompasses Fatal Fury the icons that started there would be the ones that shine the brightest.

firebreed

n00b
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ryu:
I still think Kyo should have been the main character.

I think, Kyo should be replaced with someone else or someone new. Don't we have enough of Kyo and/or Iori already? Unless both of them have some sort of new move(s) or costume, or a motive to be in that particular game.

------------------
firebreed.com

Tekyo

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Terry is and always should be The Main Man of Snk. I agree that Terry must be recover his place like the main man.

D

D`Cloud

well, It's ok to me for kyo to be replaced. besides, kyo sucks in CVS bigtime. heheh! his 'finalshowdown' sucks too. anyway... i dont want to argue on who's stronger. but the swapping makes a bit of sense too...
Since cvs2 probably wont have endings at all, I'd want the ff pairing happen in cvs2
Terry - Ryu
Bison - Geese
Ken - Kyo
Sean - Shingo
K' - Alex
yun & yang - donghwan & jaehoon
Krauser - sagat ( hi-lo battle! LOL!)
leona - guile
chang - zangief (..)
billy kane - dhalsim
big bear - honda
Ryo - ??

shin-kyo

Lurker, ,
"I think, Kyo should be replaced with someone else or someone new. Don't we have enough of Kyo and/or Iori already? Unless both of them have some sort of new move(s) or costume, or a motive to be in that particular game."

Well if they didn't rape kyo he'd be alot different than he is now (2k kyo). So its fair to have Ken, Ryu, Akuma, and Dan and not Kyo/Iori who are the only 'shoto like' characters, with kyo being very different. I think kyo should get his new costume, and whats iori without kyo? it wouldn't make sense otherwise.. like a ken without a ryu (and akuma, dan, sakura .... .. ... etc)

I think that Kyo was the SNK rep becoz he's more popular than Terry, not in the US, but overall worldwide he is because the KOF series was/is/willbe SNK's most popular franchise. IMO Terry wasn't created to be Ryu's rival, Kyo was.. weither your looking at the original frontliners or not.

remember its not always the original characters that represent the company, its the most famous
like Capcom.. and Captain Commando

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
Ryu and Kyo look alike thats for sure, and they play alike... sometimes... anyway, Ryu and Terry fight totally differently, and have the same goal, to fight all the time and to enjoy the fight. If i'm not mistaken thats the reason Krauser beat Terry in RBFFS, Krauser had learned to enjoy the fight as much as Terry, this caught Terry by surprise, and he lost. It was also the reason why Geese lost. He didn't care about the fight, he just cared about being the strongest which led to his death. Ken and Kyo go together well too though, both don't take fighting 100% seriously 100% of the time and they have lives outside of fighting (Yuki and Eliza) whereas Ryu and Terry both just concentrate on the fight, and the fight alone.

shin-kyo

Lurker, ,
all kyo and ryu share in common is an 'uppercut' like anti-air move. If anything Kyo shares more traits with Terry than Ryu. Kyo's moves have some similarities to Terry's:
rising tackle = oniyaki,
overhead looking kick = kyo's red kick,
bare knuckle = kyo's rush grab,
power wave = kyo's original fireball,
power geyser = serpent wave,
buster wolf = final showdown..
Seems to me that SNK looked towards terry when making the hero of kof.
Heck, Kyo maybe a lazy ass but fighting is supposedly the only thing Kyo takes seriously. Having more interests doesn't make him any less of a fighter, it just shows more depth into his character. I think Ryu is that 'true warrior' thing is bs because capcom didn't care (or wasn't important at the time) to give us that info. How does he make a living.. much less get his food? hadokens a possum than eats it raw? (cuz obviously he doesn't fight for money) What about Terry and Blue Mary.. you forgot that.. (not to mention Rock)

i don't really care about Kyo having to have top spot.. but like any good fan, they jump in to support their favorites.
biggrin.gif

sure terry can ryu are the main 2 in CvS2, but i wish Capcom US had the decency to let kyo be the star in CvS1, i personally liked the cover for the import alot..

capcom_snk_store.jpg

[This message has been edited by shin-kyo (edited April 24, 2001).]

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
Remember that Terry and Blue Mary have yet to properly get together.... all Blue Mary does is flirt with him and Terry enjoys the attention. Rock is different, Terry is training him to be a fighter and to erase his own mistakes (killing Geese) He probably wouldn't even have a protege if not for that.. I think that Ryu does fight for money, but only enough to live on... he has no real reason to have a load of money. I also think that Snk wanted Terry to be the main star of Kof as well.... In Kof 94 the cursor starts on Terrys team but in all of the others its the Hero team it starts on.... Kinda lame reason i know, but it makes sense
smile.gif

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The KOF series was created to introduce Kyo and his storyline to the SNK canon. KOF '94 rode the coattails of FF and AOF to hardsell the concept of crossing over their two most popular franchises. But remember that in KOF '94's opening demo, Kyo is also prominently featured near the end of the sequence. After '94 however, KOF was all about Kyo, Iori and the Orochi storyline. And in '99, the focus shifted to Nests and K'.

Kyo and Iori are in the top echelon of SNK's characters, no doubt. Same with K'.

But Terry is SNK's main man. He's their strongest fighter and their most visible character. I personally think it's interesting that somebody who plays a supporting character in KOF is actually the strongest fighter there. It makes me think of interesting storyline possibilities to explain how Kyo and crew keep getting past the FF team and the AOF teams.

One manga I read had the FF and AOF teams beating each other so bad that they couldn't continue. I liked that. Takuma beat Andy...barely. Joe beat Robert...barely. Terry was getting the upper hand on Ryo and was about to polish him off with a Power Geyser. Ryo knew that he was about to lose, and rather than try to avoid the inevitable he unleashed a Haoh Sho Ko Ken at the same time in order to eliminate his opponent. The Power Geyser nailed Ryo but the Haoh Sho Ko Ken also pasted Terry good. Since both teams were pretty beaten up they were both deemed unable to continue in the tournament. Double KO.

Another manga I read had Terry basically whupping Iori's ass, and as he was about to seal the deal with a move (Burn Knuckle or Power Geyser, I can't remember which), he saw Geese -who he thought was dead- in the stands watching. That distracted Terry so much he didn't get the move off and Iori did the deed with a Riot Of Blood. Later in the story Terry fought Geese while Andy fought Billy, leaving the KOF crew to pursue their storyline without the FF influence to get in the way.

Manga is not canon, but as long as it's good I enjoy the attempt at an explanation. As long as it's handled properly, there can be good reasons for other fighters getting past the FF and AOF crews. The integrity of the existing characters isn't compromised and the new characters are allowed to shine as well.

Kyo, Iori and K' belong in the top five, however. No doubt.

Right behind Terry and Ryo
smile.gif

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso
'Because of my bloody life, it was no accident that I was involved in the troubles...'

fomaman

King's Dry Cleaner
that was a cool ass "informative" post, man. where did you read/get this manga, it sounds pretty good and pretty well balanced in terms
of "who would kick who's ass".

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
fomaman:

The manga where the two teams knock each other out is from Comic Gamest's KOF '94 Gaiden series. The second manga came from Comic Gamest's KOF-G series.

Unfortunately, Comic Gamest is no longer being printed. You can sometimes find the compilations on e-bay and at used manga websites. Check the anipike to find some used manga retailer sites.

Luckily for me, I only live forty five minutes away from an Asahiya bookstore, so getting this stuff as it comes out is not an issue
smile.gif

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso

shin-kyo

Lurker, ,
I recognize that he is their first fighting game mascot, but i think because he's the first he is immediately deemed the strongest. Though it could be argued that like many things the original isn't always the best. If you compare the storylines, Kyo would be stronger since he helped deafeat a god, and omega rugal (pretty much a combination of krauser and geese).. this obviously makes sense because with a new series you would want to 1 up the older series, to impress the gamers. In KOF Terry is weaker both in gameplay and storywise. I think thats why i like him so much, he broke the mold and IMO is the anti-thesis of shoto/fireball characters. I agree that they used FF, and AOF to start out the KOF series but it would be pretty boring to see the mascot of FF or AOF be the main character of KOF as well.. since they already have their own respective franchises.

Tekyo

Tarma's Gun Polisher
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shin-kyo:
I recognize that he is their first fighting game mascot, but i think because he's the first he is immediately deemed the strongest. Though it could be argued that like many things the original isn't always the best. If you compare the storylines, Kyo would be stronger since he helped deafeat a god, and omega rugal (pretty much a combination of krauser and geese).. this obviously makes sense because with a new series you would want to 1 up the older series, to impress the gamers. In KOF Terry is weaker both in gameplay and storywise. I think thats why i like him so much, he broke the mold and IMO is the anti-thesis of shoto/fireball characters. I agree that they used FF, and AOF to start out the KOF series but it would be pretty boring to see the mascot of FF or AOF be the main character of KOF as well.. since they already have their own respective franchises.

Terry is better and stronger than Kyo maybe not in the Kof series but The only reason is that Terry had his game yet. And if Terry appears in two games will be unfair don´t you know. but one thing is sure Terry is better than Kyo

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Shin-Kyo writes:

>>I recognize that he is their first fighting game mascot, but i think because he's the first he is immediately deemed the strongest. Though it could be argued that like many things the original isn't always the best.<<

Your logic is sound, but I don't feel it applies in this case.

Kyo's prominence in the KOF storyline is only partially about Kyo's actual power levels. Kyo and Iori don't have MORE power than Terry and Ryo. They just have the RIGHT TYPE of power to beat Orochi. The type of flames they wield were both necessary to do the job.

I'm firmly convinced that Terry, Andy and Joe could pummel the hell out of Orochi and do a much better job of actually outfighting him than Kyo and Iori could. Hell, I'd be willing to bet in a storyline context the DMs of the FF crew hit at least as hard as anything Kyo and Iori can dish out, but he'd just keep getting back up ad naseum, all the while absorbing the 'battle spirit' the fight was generating.

Now that I think of it, it's probably in Orochi's best interests to face the strongest possible fighters. Terry and crew would hammer away at Orochi, unable to destroy him because they don't have the right type of 'kryptonite', but the sheer energy of their 'battle spirit' would continue to build Orochi up all throughout the fight. Eventually he would become powerful enough that he would be able to destroy them.

>>If you compare the storylines, Kyo would be stronger since he helped deafeat a god, and omega rugal (pretty much a combination of krauser and geese)..<<

Omega Rugal was not a COMBINATION of Geese and Krauser. Perish the thought entirely. He was a CROSS between the two. Sure, he was supercharged with Orochi power, but so what? I'd say a ressurected Geese with the power of the Jin scrolls is a match for Omega Rugal any day, and Terry put him down all the same.

As for Orochi...

Kyo didn't beat Orochi by himself. He had Iori's help and I'm also sure Chizuru also had a hand in it. The combination of the three of them, and having the 'right kind of kryptonite', was what it took. In fact, the way the storyline portrayed it in '97, it seemed that victory was a hopeless prospect until they all attacked him with a combined effort. That tells me Kyo WASN'T good enough to do it on his own.

And besides, calling someone a 'god' doesn't mean they're indestructible. The concept of 'god' is so abstract and open to interpretation that no set of parameters could be fairly applied. Gods are being killed all the time in fictional and mythological contexts.

Kyo's power had something to do with it but not everything. After all, he had to be good enough to not get killed at some point in the fight. It was destiny. 1800 years prior, Kyo's and Iori's ancestors fought the same battle.

Kyo's beating Orochi had to do with being in the necessary place at the right time with the appropriate weapons and tools. I'm not saying he got lucky. What I am saying is that defeating Orochi was not Terry's destiny. It was Kyo's and Iori's. It was their story. That was the story being told in KOF. That's why they are the main characters of KOF.

Not because they are SNK's strongest. Because they aren't.

>>this obviously makes sense because with a new series you would want to 1 up the older series, to impress the gamers.<<

The gamers were impressed because of the quality of the game mechanics, graphics, character selection and storyline. I don't think anyone said 'KOF is better because now there's someone stronger than Terry'.

As for a new main character sharing a game with an older main character as validation of the torch being passed, I present to you Mark Of The Wolves.

Rock: new main character.

Terry: still the strongest.

Even though Rock beats Terry to move on to Kain in the official storyline, Terry wasn't fighting for the sake of the world or to avenge anyone's death. He was competing in a fighting tournament.

If Terry thought beating Rock would save peoples' lives, it would have turned out differently.

So 'new' doesn't necessarily mean 'stronger'.

>>In KOF Terry is weaker both in gameplay and storywise.<<

In terms of gameplay, I'll give you that Terry's not at the top of the heap in the KOF character rankings. But Terry doesn't rate at the top of the FF games, either. He's consistently NEAR the top, but there are other characters in the FF games that are more effective overall according to reliable ranking systems. One look at a neo geo freak or Gamest that rates the characters of an FF game proves that.

As for storywise, I'm sorry. I respect your opinion (I wouldn't be responding with all this text if I didn't), but your argument isn't convincing me. Terry is still the strongest fighter in SNK.

>>I think thats why i like him so much, he broke the mold and IMO is the anti-thesis of shoto/fireball characters. I agree that they used FF, and AOF to start out the KOF series but it would be pretty boring to see the mascot of FF or AOF be the main character of KOF as well..<<

I agree wholeheartedly there. KOF needed to be more than a 'dream match' every year. It needed a story, and it needed a brand new one that it could call its own. It accomplished that.

Sorry this one was so long, but my mind is involved right now
smile.gif

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
Well, that cleared up a whole load of shit for me thats for sure
smile.gif
Okay random question: is there anyone in all of the SNK universe Terry couldn't beat?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Rain:

I'll quote myself:

"Terry is still the strongest fighter in SNK."

smile.gif

Taiso
"Because of my bloody life, it was no accident that I was involved in the troubles..."

fomaman

King's Dry Cleaner
i'd like to second that notion. terry is the fucking shit, and anyone who's been following
SNK for as long as i have knows he's their Ryu, and he deserves to be. nuff said.