SNK Icons Preview

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Commercial Break 2: covered the Neo-Geo and the aggressive advertising strategies. nothing spectacular or anything we hadnt already seen.

something about the "gamers" is next!

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Commercial Break 3: worked its way up the hill covered some great games like Samurai Shodown and the rivalry of SNK and Capcom.........and now going downhill with the failure of the NEOCD........up next: taking on the handheld king!

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
It's over:
I feel like i got the LESS FAT no Calories Low Carb SUgar Free of what could have been. I still ate it though!

:buttrock:

I'm very pleased with this thing about SNK. I finally got to see what others in the industry thought of it all, what E. Kawasaki and Ben herman looked like, and most of all seeing a 30 min segment dedicated all to SNK. I loved it. I want to archive this. I was however not able to record it :( It was over a friends' house and the VCR was busted :blow_top:

Anybody who rips this to DVD/CD whatever, please let us know and do the SNK fanbase a favor. I'll send paypal funds to cover shipping, cost of materials, and your trouble.

le geek

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
15 Year Member
Yeah wasn't bad :)

They had a lot to cover in 22 mins...

Best part were the interview clips...

Cheers,
Ben

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Good show. I love Icons but I really think they should expand it to an hour because you can fit alot of history and interviews into a show.

I like how they covered all of the older arcade games as well as some of the first NES games. They didn't mention Athena, but I liked finding out that SNK made Vanguard, that game was great.

The Neo-Geo stuff was covered alright, I would have liked to see more of the third party games, but since this is SNK's story they stuck to the games they made.

Still a very good show, would have loved to see more but I'm happy with what I saw. Hopefully everybody will get a chance to see it soon.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
What?! You guys can afford $350 games, but can't afford digital cable or a DVD recorder?! :tickled: Why do u need it on DVD? Convenience? It's not like it makes use of souped up sound or a HD picture.

I thought it was ok, there is only so much you can cover in 22 minutes. It didn't really cover anything I didn't know already, aside from the very very early games ('78-85). I still recorded it on tape.

It did get me thinking: Why didn't more companies during the 90s make use of the arcade machine jukebox model that SNK did? Sure, Nintendo's Playchoice 10 did it, but no one else did. What a good business idea.

nothingxs

King's Dry Cleaner
It was good, in that "I knew this already, but now more people do too" kind of way.

Hell, they mentioned Crystalis. That game rules.

I'm pleased. I also saw something on Icons about game music a week before or so -- that was really neat, too. Icons seems to be the only show on G4 really worth watching.

Maybe it's outsourced.

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
Got done watching the replay at 10:30(Pacific Time), about a half hour ago.

I enjoyed it enough, where I actually adore my Neo collection again. It's been getting a bit of neglect lately.

Looking at all the Neo systems(BIG Reds especially) on T.V, really wanted me to bust out everything again. I just might do that tonight.

I enjoyed the bits on SNK's old marketing ploys...

"You have to have a set of these... to play this."

Truly... BIGGER, BADDER, BETTER!

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
I want one of those SNK dress shirts Ben Herman was wearing.

I'd buy like 20 and wear them to important meetings and stuff.

GregN. said:
What?! You guys can afford $350 games, but can't afford digital cable or a DVD recorder?! :tickled: Why do u need it on DVD? Convenience?

Don't get me started. :angry:

Digital cable costs alot of money, money that once spent I'll never see again. I have a problem with spending exuberant amounts of money and getting only vaporware (known as TV). DVD Recorder? My DVD drive in my PC is on the fritz, I haven't found a DVD Recorder drive I like yet.

Convenience? :very_ang: This pisses me off. I'd rather have the show in Divx or MPG format stored on a CD than DVD so I can watch it whenever.

This thread is about the show, and getting the episode to other people who may not have access to it, NOT bashing those of us with different spending habits than you.

JHendrix said:
I want one of those SNK dress shirts Ben Herman was wearing.

I'd buy like 20 and wear them to important meetings and stuff.

Fuck yea man. You know they must have a small storage room full of those shirts laying around.

<ahem Shawn, buddy... pal, ahem>

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
It was a pretty good show for the general gaming public in mind. As an SNK fan, of course I wanted more SNK Neo Geo era coverage. I managed to record the show to disk for future reference. ;) I'm trying different compression methods to get the file smaller... it takes time, even with the 9 minutes worth of commercials editied out! MPEG2 720x480 is over 900 meg. I'm building a couple of DIVX versions now as well as a FLIX version. Dunno if I'll be able to host any of this though do to site bandwidth limits per month. I guess I'll let my pc chug away rendering .... it is off to work I go.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
Tiptonium said:
It was a pretty good show for the general gaming public in mind. As an SNK fan, of course I wanted more SNK Neo Geo era coverage. I managed to record the show to disk for future reference. ;) I'm trying different compression methods to get the file smaller... it takes time, even with the 9 minutes worth of commercials editied out! MPEG2 720x480 is over 900 meg. I'm building a couple of DIVX versions now as well as a FLIX version. Dunno if I'll be able to host any of this though do to site bandwidth limits per month. I guess I'll let my pc chug away rendering .... it is off to work I go.

What are your system specs and what software are you using? Divx encoding shouldn't take that long on a newer system.

Last edited:

thundr51

Bead Banger
Anybody know when this will be on again?... I tried to remember to watch but didn't remember it was on until this morning when I logged in to check the board.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Tiptonium said:
It was a pretty good show for the general gaming public in mind.
Yeah it was kind of boring . Just explained a bit of history and had some shameless plugs for maximum impact at the end . For most SNK fan bois nothing really new.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
The 2 minute preview had more to offer in my opinion. But I will still download it as soon as it's available.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
If G4 and SNKNEOGEOUSA were really, really smart, they'd release a totally uncut, commercial free edition of this episode and sell it on DVD. SNK fans would eat it up like mad, especially since the version shown on TV was very watered down.