Shoulder pads and misshapen hands

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You can hate them, but the original Image team may have saved comics.
Comics were still printed in cheap newspaper quality before Image. It also brought a new generation into comics.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Comics were still printed in cheap newspaper quality before Image. It also brought a new generation into comics.

Exactly...that's what I was saying earlier. I had been reading X-Men, The Punisher, and Wolverine for years before Spawn cam out. Everything was the shitty, news print flat color print before that (unless you got the fancy graphic novels). Spawn was mind blowing when it came out, it was so beautifully done.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Jim Valentino's ShadowHawk is one of my favorite series.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Jim Valentino's ShadowHawk is one of my favorite series.

Shadowhawk was awesome, actually met the guy who did the inking for some of the later issues way back when. A guy by the name of Pat Blaine. He ended up getting his own short lived series called The Others. It wasn't too bad. Image was really cool back when it first formed, was definitely a nice change of pace from the typical Marvel/DC drivel back then.

Anybody ever get into Valiant comics back in the day, before it got bought out by Acclaim? I really enjoyed quite a few series they did before it kind of went downhill. Also exposed me to one of my favorite artists, Barry Windsor Smith.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
Shadowhawk was awesome, actually met the guy who did the inking for some of the later issues way back when. A guy by the name of Pat Blaine. He ended up getting his own short lived series called The Others. It wasn't too bad. Image was really cool back when it first formed, was definitely a nice change of pace from the typical Marvel/DC drivel back then.

Holy shit, I fucking LOVED "The Others"! They teased that the next issue was going to be about Klone, then they cancelled the fucking series! Broke my heart.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
He's absolutely brutal to those two...and much of it he's 100% correct. Yeah, he's breaking balls with the "grownup" talk...but he's making good points. Those guys drew such over the top shit, it was completely unbelievable. There's something to be said about simplicity...

I liked Spawn, but Stan was 100% right. A lot of shit coming out around that time was "overkill". :p

And Liefield, holy fuck... that guy should have never been an artist. In addition to perspective problems and the terrible anatomy of hands and feet, I always hated the faces he drew above all. They were always drawn with greatly pronounced cheekbones with sunken in cheeks, tiny squinty eyes, and a twisted expression. Fuck man, get of of your basement and look at some people if you're going to try and draw them!

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I was a massive 2000AD fan as well for many years and loved the european artists that the comic gave us.
Brian Bolland, carlos ezquerra, mike mcmahon, pat mills, massimo belardinelli, dave gibbons, kevin o'neill, glenn fabry, and a whole bunch of others.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Swamp Thing co-creator and legendary comic book artist Bernie Wrightson is retiring due to his health. He's had multiple brain surgeries and has lost much of the movement on the left side of his body.

IMG_3289.JPG

batcommission.jpg

Wrightson%20Swamp%20Thing%204%20small%20copy.jpg

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I meant to post that in the original comic book thread, clicked the wrong link in the search results

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That Stan Lee video is great.

Obviously there's a disconnect between the youth of the 90s and the classics like Lee and Kirby, just as there is today between the SJW teens and us.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
That Stan Lee video is great.

Obviously there's a disconnect between the youth of the 90s and the classics like Lee and Kirby, just as there is today between the SJW teens and us.

I got into comics in the 90's, but learned about Kirby after he died when they put up an "In memory of..." at the end of an episode X-Men. Been a fan ever since.