Shoulder pads and misshapen hands

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Forced diversity is a terrible terrible idea.

C1VtvCWUsAEXllz.jpg:large

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Hah I love that Stan Lee clip, that's just one epic run of well deserved insults.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Those SJW villains are a parody of modern college culture

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
What in the holy hell is going on....

White guilt+college+idealism+liberalism+forced diversity+triggered+social justice+gun hate+art school= this shit heap comic.

Pasky

What's wrong with Todd McFarlane though? His drawings seem really good to me. Rob Liefield though....HOLY shit lol.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
What's wrong with Todd McFarlane though? His drawings seem really good to me. Rob Liefield though....HOLY shit lol.

I'll say nothing about his talent - His Spider-Man run was really good. He's a shit writer, tho.

He also drinks WAY TOO MUCH of his own Kool-aid.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member

For him he has a real style to his artwork. I think I liked Greg Capullo better on his titles. McFarlane is ok for writing, at least in the Spawn books but the problem is that things were so stretched out. DBZ has faster pacing!

Pasky

I'll say nothing about his talent - His Spider-Man run was really good. He's a shit writer, tho.

He also drinks WAY TOO MUCH of his own Kool-aid.

Agreed. He drew an amazing spider-man and venom. His Hulk was shit though.

I'd say my favorite comic artist is Ron Lim. Always admired his work with Silver Surfer. He was the best Silver Surfer artist IMO.

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I'm an old coot so in no particular order, wally wood, steve ditko and jack kirby will always be my favourite comic book artists.
I was brought up on these guy's and looking back i was spoilt.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
SPAWN was badass when it first launched. I never got past the first 50 comics so I dunno what happened after that. The toy line was also badass. McFarlane Toys revolutionized the modern geek/ collectible figures. Now there are a lot of big players doing some highly detailed work.

Spawn is OFF LIMITs gentlemen.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
I'm an old coot so in no particular order, wally wood, steve ditko and jack kirby will always be my favourite comic book artists.

I'll add Jim Steranko to that

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I'll add Jim Steranko to that
Yep can't argue with you there, john romita and john buscema were none to shabby either.
So many good memories of these guy's.

001-Conan-Recreation.jpg
Conan's the man, classic badass pose.

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
The 90's is pretty much why I quit reading and collecting comics. By 93 every series I liked was wretched to look at and shitty to read.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Same here. I grew up with the 'old school' artists like Kubert, C.C. Beck, Alex Toth, Frank Frezetta...the list goes on. Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson will always be the definitive Superman artists to me.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
This thread needs more Carmine Infantino love.

As for modern artists, I really like Francis Manapul.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

I'd say my favorite comic artist is Ron Lim. Always admired his work with Silver Surfer. He was the best Silver Surfer artist IMO.

YES!!! Loved Lim's work on Surfer and the Infinity saga that followed. Man, that's when I really got into comics. I loved Spidey, Cap, Avengers, X-men, etc since I was a kid but it was Silver Surfer #40 that somehow caught my attention at a local grocery store. Little did I know that was the beginning of the Infinity Saga and what pretty much destroyed my pockets/wallet from then on when it came to monthlies.

Got outta comics for a long time until I re-discovered my love for them through Invincible. Now my favorite artist is Ryan Ottley. But I'll always have a soft spot for Ron Lim!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Stan Lee goes straight savage on Liefeld and MacFarlane

Hahahaha, FUCK!

The man was not joking at all either. Straight up told Rob and Todd they ruined comics so he was going into show business... and he fucking did, didn't he? :lolz:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Hahahaha, FUCK!

The man was not joking at all either. Straight up told Rob and Todd they ruined comics so he was going into show business... and he fucking did, didn't he? :lolz:

He's absolutely brutal to those two...and much of it he's 100% correct. Yeah, he's breaking balls with the "grownup" talk...but he's making good points. Those guys drew such over the top shit, it was completely unbelievable. There's something to be said about simplicity...

FilthyRear

15 Year Member

Stan Lee goes straight savage on Liefeld and MacFarlane

This series was amazing. You will never see anything like this again in our lifetime.

My favorites are the interviews with Will Eisner and John Romita. They literally just shoot the shit about their long careers in comics. Romita Jr. is no slouch, but listening to those guys talk about this massive legacy they've created was awesome.

Bob Kane seemed like he was nothing but a colossal prick.

He's absolutely brutal to those two...and much of it he's 100% correct. Yeah, he's breaking balls with the "grownup" talk...but he's making good points. Those guys drew such over the top shit, it was completely unbelievable. There's something to be said about simplicity...

FFS, at least try to make your work look somewhat dynamic. Kirby's anatomy was a little wonky, but at least every panel looked like it had some sort of movement, and not just endless action poses.

Pasky

What is that clip from? Like what was the context of stan lee being there while Liefield was drawing? Was this the Marvel interview process or something?

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
"The Comic Book Greats"

It was an early-90's VHS series where he interviewed then-new artists and established artists on how they work, their careers, etc. Some of them would sketch while they talked, like Romita Sr. drawing MJ whilst talking about Spider-Man and shit. Good stuff. Liefeld, McFarlane, and Jim Lee were just striking it big when they sat with Stan.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
FFS, at least try to make your work look somewhat dynamic. Kirby's anatomy was a little wonky, but at least every panel looked like it had some sort of movement, and not just endless action poses.

This is mostly what got me about those two, and ultimately killed Spawn for me. At first, every page being so detailed and colorful was amazing...but like you said, nearly every frame was just a cockstrong pose of some sort...with a dialog bubble. It got old quick.