Shin Gouketsuji Ichizoku: Bonnou Kaihou (Power Instinct Matrimelee) PS2 thread

Recap

Zero's Secretary
As you can see, it's not a matter of the picture being in motion:

matrimeleeshot72dt.jpg

Borisz

n00b
Kazuya_UK said:
Just to illustrate the point about screenshots looking like crap compared to how they look in motion on your TV:

matrimeleeshot7.png

That pic is not from the PS2 version, it's from the Neo Geo version (I resized it to the same dimensions). Looks just as bad as the PS2 screen posted above.

Kaz
You scaled it from 304x224 to 640x480, so it looks even shitter then the ps2 shots actually. Enlarge the original pic to exactly 2x its size and it will look just like the ps2 shots you posted above, minus the hires HUD. The ps2 version runs at 640x480 instead of 608x448 though, so the arenas are a wee bit bigger then on the Neogeo - but everything is just magnified to exactly 2x size for obvious reasons.

Those ps2 shots just look bad cause the enlarged sprites look out of proportion compared to the hires HUD.

And lets not forget that you can also add filtering while you enlarge the sprites.

pcsx2gouketsuji.png

It looks just like if you would run the neogeo version in MAME with bilinear filtering turned on, though.

By the way, did anyone notice that they messed Olofs artwork AGAIN?
In the cover art, and in the intro, they use his GREY suit art, in which he has a full glove, and Robin-like stick-on eyemask instead of sunglasses. On the official website at http://gouketuji.excite.co.jp/ they use the purple, "proper" version. Inside the game, they took the GREY version, and recolored it to purple, and cut off the gloves... but forgot to add back his sunglasses. In his mugshot, they didnt even bother to fix the colors, you can see that its still grey if you look close enough.

oroff.jpg

GREY version

gou05.jpg

PURPLE version

pcsx2gouketsuji2.png

mangled/photoshopped ingame version.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
Is it going to be released on the US officially any time soon???

El Cernex

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Cernex said:
Is it going to be released on the US officially any time soon???

El Cernex

nothing so far

I doubt it though

el roker

Darkneo

Morden's Lackey
Damn it looks ok to own :drool: . I forgot that it was being Released got Streetfigter Zero -Fighters Generation today, now i am gonna have to wait untill Play-Asia.com gets more instock of the Jap Version.
Here is a Link to their Site if anyone is Interested in getting it from here :)

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-40-49-en.html

Borisz

n00b
Lyte Edge said:
Forgot to mention the pre-order bonus; I got a soundtrack CD/2006 digital calender for reserving the game. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
Can you tell more about that? For some reason it excites me more then the actual game.

Frankfurt

Cheng's Errand Boy
Recap said:
How can a port with upscaled sprites look "better than the original game"?

gou11.jpg

Seriously, visually, it sucks, no matter how many transparencies, effects and hi-res portraits they added. Thanks for the impressions, anyhow.

Waaaah, waaaah, boo-hoo. Go cry about your upscaled bullshit whit your mom, loser. You're like a crazy guy in the subway, whining about incredibly dumb, irrelevant shit that nobody normal gives a shit about. You not only post this in multiple forums, you have a fucking site for it! :lolz:

Get a fucking life.

Recap

Zero's Secretary
Oh! The first useless kid just appeared! Didn't take long, this time.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm digging it, very worthy port. Polished enough, but not too much. Load times are very very short thank GOD. I'm playing it on a 29" progressive scan monitor and it looks great. If you are offended by pixels then something is wrong with you.

Recap

Zero's Secretary
It's not a matter of what gets me offended nor even one of you being an ignorant about that the game was never conceived originally to show "pixels", fella, just one of language accuracy and correct information. 'Cause this port's graphics just can't "look the same as they did on the Neo", you know.

Now if you play 15 kHz games on a progressive scan monitor, believe me, something is indeed wrong there. Completely.

Enjoy it.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Frankfurt said:
Waaaah, waaaah, boo-hoo. Go cry about your upscaled bullshit whit your mom, loser. You're like a crazy guy in the subway, whining about incredibly dumb, irrelevant shit that nobody normal gives a shit about. You not only post this in multiple forums, you have a fucking site for it! :lolz:

Get a fucking life.

I hate you

but I agree

it's a 2D gaming forum disease

on every forum with a plethora of 2D enthusiast

there's always these guys complaining about pixels, resolution, and shit

it's pretty fucking annoying

what happened to just enjoying the game?

how about the old mantra:

gameplay over graphics?

Last edited:

Borisz

n00b
... I'm pretty sure that no one bought this game because they expected Guilty Gear quality graphics and Street Fighter 3 level of animation. Sod off the graphics bashing already.

jdmishima

Quiz Detective
Is there anyone with this game that can translate the B missions for the lucky few that can't read japanese very well?

I've gotten all the way to the 6th B mission, and I'm pretty sure it is asking you to win with a draw game. The problem with that is I can't seem to do it. Any tips on that? Anyone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
I'm digging it, very worthy port. Polished enough, but not too much. Load times are very very short thank GOD. I'm playing it on a 29" progressive scan monitor and it looks great. If you are offended by pixels then something is wrong with you.

That's good to know as I have been thinking about just getting the Neo PS2 ports and getting a jpn system down the line but with the need to know jpn for the B Missions I wasn't so sure as I'd like to know wtf I'm doing.

Now if only they'd port ROTD

Borisz

n00b
Obviously they were changed mid-developement. Heck if you look around you will find older screenshots that still had the Neogeo versions looks. The shot I posted is from the final version.

B missions:
1. Do a counter hit
2. KO your opponent with a Special move
3. KO your opponent with a Stress Shot (1 level super)
4. KO your opponent with an Ippai Ouji (One-Shot Arcana, 2 level super)
5. Win with a timeout
6. Get a draw game (this one is annoying)
7. Win without using special moves

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
roker said:
I hate you

but I agree

it's a 2D gaming forum disease

on every forum with a plethora of 2D enthusiast

there's always these guys complaining about pixels, resolution, and shit

it's pretty fucking annoying

what happened to just enjoying the game?

how about the old mantra:

gameplay over graphics?
Yeah, Frankfurt finally directed his limitless bile towards something deserving. Recap is like fucking Rainman with that shit.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Looks good to me. Too bad I have no PS2. I only have a neogeo hooked up to my tv now, and I definitely don't feel like buying matrimelee again.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm very curious about Angela Belti. She was one of the sorely missed characters from the neo version.

Anyone have any details about how she adds to the PS2 version?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Whats with the big black guy in the middle? o_O

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
wasabi said:
I'm very curious about Angela Belti. She was one of the sorely missed characters from the neo version. Anyone have any details about how she adds to the PS2 version?
Had the chance to play this game with KumagaiToshiro and taiki for a few hours tonight -- had an absolute blast. Angela was always my character of choice with the first 3 installments of the Gouketsuji series, and she has made the transition to the new game very well. Quite the juggernaut, she is. Her "Love Me Whip" has retained its weak = antiair / strong = antiground properties, but has an additional fire effect. The strong version covers 95% of the screen's width, and both versions come out rather quickly. "Thunder Wall" has gone from a WP+SP activation to a 63214 + P command. It can also be performed mid-dash, which gives it additional hits (it's possible to perform a dash WP and cancel into the dash multihit version of Thunder Wall -- very nasty). The weak version has a short activation time, and can provide some effective antiair, especially the dash version (since the multiple hits move forward with Angela as she finishes her dash). The strong version has slower startup (Angela hesitates a moment as she raises her hands over her head to start the manuever). "Angela Body Attack" is shorter-ranged and quicker to activate with the weak version, while the strong version travels farther but has a longer activation time (Angela pauses a moment in her ready stance, which makes the strong version less than useful in combos). Her "Smash Kick" has been made into a midair quarter-circle technique (instead of a midair Somersault Kick command). She has retained her Ippatsu Ougi -- "Angela Giant Buster" -- and has gained a new super in the form of her Stress Shoot (it's another ranbu-style attack sequence). Angela Giant Buster has some good priority, beating out a number of simultaneously-activated opponent supers and grabbing opponents out of the air.
kernow said:
Whats with the big black guy in the middle? o_O
The game features a bonus character based on Bobby Ologun, who was tapped as celebrity rep for the game (he appeared as part of the game's announcement at the Tokyo Game Show). Here's some background info for those not familiar with Bobby, as well as his official blog (with more photos of his TGS appearance), and the unofficial blog site.

--Chris