Server Rack Build

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
A friend of mine did a similar build several months ago and inspired me to do this. We both share the same disdain for "toys r us" man caves, and wanted something that allowed us access to our gaming consoles while being able to be buttoned up so it was presentable and clean without our office.

This will be a record of my progress. I'm several days into the actual build, but figured I'd share where I'm at so far. I've had the server rack for several months, and delayed the build due to a new home build...that just fell through as the builder demanded an extra 60 grand. So, wife and I figured... f it, might as well do up this home and chill for a few more years.

Components:
Found a Trinitron monitor similar to a NEC Mutisync able to display the correct kHz needed for my Sega Naomi:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.28.11 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.28.29 PM.png

Waiting on RAM in the mail, but it works:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.27.15 PM.png

Axunworks Supergun arrived. Needed something for MVS, CPS2 and Naomi and this fit the bill:
Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.27.35 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.27.44 PM.png

And the CPS2 arrived as well:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.27.54 PM.png

Night 1:
Getting the server rack from the storage unit:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.28.49 PM.png

Purchased from a car dealership and was covered in Arizona dust. A pail of paper towels later and it's clean. Fans are very dusty, time to disassemble and clean:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.23.57 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.29.39 PM.png

All clean!:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.24.31 PM.png

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
First time dealing with cage nuts. Of course the unit has tons already installed which I need to take out to plan where to put my shelves and components. These, unfortunately, are pretty stiff and require needle nose pliers to get out, but after about 30 minutes I got pretty proficient at taking them out:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.29.19 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.24.22 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.24.57 PM.png

Time to install the PVM. I don't have any help, so I figured out a cheat. I put in a Pyle shelf upside down, rested the PVM on it, then got it fastened to the ears. I left the shelf for emergency support, but it's not going anywhere. This was a big stress for me, but the shelf idea make it go super quick:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.29.48 PM.png

I want the consoles below the screen, and wanted the screen to be mid height for good viewing angle when sitting and to make sure the unit wasn't top heavy. Installed the crosspoint above it and the MVS, Supergun, CPS2 and Naomi above it. Naomi is hard to see, but on a shelf behind the front shelf. I don't need any direct access to the Naomi, so I didn't mind if it was hidden away:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.29.56 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.25.21 PM.png

I start installing shelving. I have two small Extrons I'll be using for RGB switching. The large Crosspoint is for S-Video only. In order to get them to fit, I need to remove the rubber feet.:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 8.00.20 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.25.50 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.31.44 PM.png

Move the desk from center to the side, rearrange things for the CRT to fit. CRT will be solely used for the Naomi:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.31.09 PM.png

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
End of Day 1, I'm beat. Will have to begin unpacking the consoles the next day:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.30.58 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.30.48 PM.png

Day 2, won't show as to now bore anyone, but the consoles are unpacked. I install all I can before running out of shelving. Power and video cables are plugged into the rear of the consoles, but since I don't have the cabling I need yet for power, nothing is being plugged into the power supply or crosspoint:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 8.10.06 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 8.10.19 PM.png

Day 3. Wrong power cable was ordered Thought it was a 50v or 30v, turns out it was 20v. Doesn't look like it in pics, but the plug is a lot smaller than the converter cable and has a different pinout. While I wait a few days for that to come in, I ordered a couple more shelves to replace the basket below for controllers to be stored and for the twin N64 to be stored:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.26.04 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.26.15 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.26.23 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 8.10.36 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 8.10.47 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.26.41 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.26.41 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 6

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
cont:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 8.10.58 PM.png

All video cables and converters are here. I'll tackle that this weekend. In the meantime, the bookcase is setup:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.31.25 PM.png

Till this weekend!....

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Cool idea
Bit big in the room though. I'd have just sold all the consoles ahem and put an E2 there

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Mind = blown.

Great job, man. That's what I call a tidy and easy-to-maintain setup. You will need a good vacuum cleaner, tho.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Cool idea
Bit big in the room though. I'd have just sold all the consoles ahem and put an E2 there

Camera lens makes it look like it's a massive room with a lot of blank space, when it's actually not. Behind me is a closet that takes the whole wall, and to the left is a giant window, making that space useless. Plus you're talking like 6 feet deep from the desk, tops. It's a small space.

Mind = blown.

Great job, man. That's what I call a tidy and easy-to-maintain setup. You will need a good vacuum cleaner, tho.

Thanks, appreciate it. Been a long time coming. With the move that was cancelled my office has been essentially a storage unit for nearly the entire year, and it's just nice to have some order in here without having to climb over crap to get to my desk.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Cool idea

Thanks. And man I wish. Been looking for a cab for longer than I care to admit. Either there's nothing, or when I do find it they want a small country's life savings for it...

Nothing like that near me, unfortunately, and what I do find is 99% of the time overseas with horrendously expensive pallet shipping.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
well...I've seen some gay shit in my life...

functionality seems horrible...does the door not clear the fag rack? sucks for the person sitting against the wall looking at the PVM

to each their own, if you are happy with it...Mao bless

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Camera lens makes it look like it's a massive room with a lot of blank space, when it's actually not. Behind me is a closet that takes the whole wall, and to the left is a giant window, making that space useless. Plus you're talking like 6 feet deep from the desk, tops. It's a small space.
I think he means the rack setup is too big for the room, not that the room is big.

I don't really see the point of all this aside from it just being some weird personal project. That seems like a very limiting way to play all that stuff compared to just using a nice large TV with a retrotink or OSSC and being able to comfortably sit on a couch. But whatever, it's your time and money.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I think he means the rack setup is too big for the room, not that the room is big.

I don't really see the point of all this aside from it just being some weird personal project. That seems like a very limiting way to play all that stuff compared to just using a nice large TV with a retrotink or OSSC and being able to comfortably sit on a couch. But whatever, it's your time and money.

I've done that. 1. I don't like playing on an LCD screen for multiple reasons. And 2. I don't want this:

jesussucks.jpg

Gaming splooge aside, the consoles/wires etc just becomes out of control. One of the reasons I wanted to do this was to also prevent myself from buying more than I need/will play. Which I've had a tendency to do in the past.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
well...I've seen some gay shit in my life...

functionality seems horrible...does the door not clear the fag rack? sucks for the person sitting against the wall looking at the PVM

to each their own, if you are happy with it...Mao bless

You do realize, I have the server rack pushed forward and against the wall on the right not for usability but because I'm still working on it and I need a path to get inside to work on it, right? Clears fine and is perfectly comfortable once in its proper place.

Help me, I actually read all this nonsense

Mission accomplished. 👹

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Nice job, interesting idea. I think I prefer the "Toys R Us man cave" personally. Not that I want my space to look like it belongs to a man child, but I do also want the space to be comforting and inviting. What you have there looks pretty cold and uninviting.

I just try to surround myself with the things that make me happy after a long day of work and other obligations. I'm not sure a server cabinet would bring me happiness.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've done that. 1. I don't like playing on an LCD screen for multiple reasons. And 2. I don't want this:

View attachment 68100

Gaming splooge aside, the consoles/wires etc just becomes out of control. One of the reasons I wanted to do this was to also prevent myself from buying more than I need/will play. Which I've had a tendency to do in the past.
Is that you?

I've spent enough time around server racks so fuck server racks, fuck cage nuts (try slipping the flange under your thumbnail) fuck the dust.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
You do realize, I have the server rack pushed forward and against the wall on the right not for usability but because I'm still working on it and I need a path to get inside to work on it, right? Clears fine and is perfectly comfortable once in its proper place.

Mission accomplished. 👹
I understand it takes all kinds to make the world go, sometimes it’s gangsters, sometimes it retards…but as long as you are happy who cares what I think…

Last edited: