Serious discussion - why the hell is the NumLock key placed IN the number pad?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
For real. I know that it's 'related' to the number pad on a keyboard. I do quite a bit of number pad use in my job. While I'm pretty good with a 10-key, Im not infallible and my fingers sometimes don't land in the exact proper positioning to hit shit when it needs to be hit.

A few times I'll be in the middle of number crunchin' like one would be, face down in documentation, not looking at the monitor, and tapping away on the number pad... only to look up after a set of calculations to see that the cursor is now on some other field, or opened Playbutt.com, etc because I slipped and hit numlock, and turned off the damn number pad.

There are two solutions to this issue.

A. Move the fucking numlock key to the FKey row, or next to the Insert/Home group.
B. Make accessing the useless key more difficult like Ctrl+Shift+RightAlt+PowerOff+Go_out_of_the_room_and_come_Back_with_a_sandwich+Numlock.

99.9% of the time I dont use the keypad for anything other than the numbers for calculations, data entry, etc. We have this nifty little device called a mouse that can move the cursor where we needed it. Or maybe people could learn how to use keyboard shortcuts like an adult and then remove the need for a NumLock key at all.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
just buy a keyboard without a numpad if it bothers you

dumbass
Thats.. not the solution.

As I stated in my message - I use the number pad quite a bit. Why would I buy a car without a steering wheel.

THINK ABOUT IT SHROOM. GAH

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
If you insist. SharpKeys seems to be the easiest solution.
remap your keyboard. it's not that hard....

Yes because our IT department with the stick up its ass is going to let me edit the registry or install software that isn't on the company image.

Thanks for the info, the regedit/software will work at home, sure. But not at work - where I's need it.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
You know what, Moe - that's sound advice.

Drafting up my resignation right now.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I'll save you the trouble.

Email your boss a picture of your dick and in the subject line write "suck it"

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I assume there is some specialized use for the keypad where someone would need to be able to switch between the numbers and the arrow keys/page up and down/home and end keys with one hand?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Maybe buy an external 19 button keypad and pop off the number lock plastic key,
On most it should still work you'll just have a smaller area to hit more purposefully.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Yes because our IT department with the stick up its ass is going to let me edit the registry or install software that isn't on the company image.
Tell your boss that it would increase your productivity if the IT dept could facilitate the disengagement of your NumLock key. Or just do it anyway, no one will notice. Unless they have you on a super restricted account or something.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Maybe you need a NumptyLock key instead? Then you can turn your stupid on and off.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
IDK what kind of keyboard you're using or if they let you use your own, but you should get a keyboard that you can modify physically to prevent the numlock key from being pressed. I don't have a keyboard to rip keys off of by me at the moment but Im pretty sure if you just pop it off you'll at least know when you've accidentally moved your finger to it, bc it will not be identical-feeling (which is what is causing your problem) but you could also go as far as to but some kind of tape or plastic or stick or some shit and place the keycap back on top of it. IDK. You should be able to figure it out you fucking pussy

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I assume there is some specialized use for the keypad where someone would need to be able to switch between the numbers and the arrow keys/page up and down/home and end keys with one hand?

Probably some Lotus sht.