Sega enthusiasts wanted

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Great looking collections ! Actually I have been considering to start one myself (the 40-50 best games) now that I'm done with my nes and snes collections. I have been reading into it, but a few things are still unclear to me. What is the best genesis option for hdmi output ? And how can I play jap mega drive games on the genesis, does the gamr genie support them all ?

And how is the retron 5 dealing with genesis and megadrive games ? Is the lag noticable / tolerable ?

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Great looking collections ! Actually I have been considering to start one myself (the 40-50 best games) now that I'm done with my nes and snes collections. I have been reading into it, but a few things are still unclear to me. What is the best genesis option for hdmi output ? And how can I play jap mega drive games on the genesis, does the gamr genie support them all ?

And how is the retron 5 dealing with genesis and megadrive games ? Is the lag noticable / tolerable ?

As far as the Retron 5 goes I personally haven't noticed any lag with the way mine is set up.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

You would need a Mega Key to bypass region protection on some games. Even if you have a system like the jvc x eye which fits both carts, some games will not work. Your could probably find both a loose Genny and Japan model 1 system for under $100 depending on condition.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I've got a pal MD and 2 region converters and they've played all the jap/genesis cart's i've thrown at them.
My nomad is more fussy though and won't play a lot of pal games, even with a converter.
No problems with jap one's but it's a bit of a tight squeeze to get the cart's in.
Snes is way more fussy with the converter's, i've never been able to get mario rpg working on my pal system with any converter i've ever tried.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Snes is way more fussy with the converter's, i've never been able to get mario rpg working on my pal system with any converter i've ever tried.

i remember back in the day, there were games the converters were not compatible with. megadrive and snes. there might be a list on the net which shows what game works with converters and which does not. but getting your snes modded might the best option.

cat

Yeah i hear you bogard.
TBH i'd just rather play the roms on my xbox or pi 3 rather than fuck about with converters, it's a whole lot easier, and they work perfectly.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Just use a game genie. Only certain games need a code to bypass region protection.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
My turn.

20161031_185428_zpshbdxim3r.jpg

20161031_185521_zpskmig1u8e.jpg

20161031_185646_zpsrr7gc2vn.jpg

20161031_185752_zpsgdrdxed5.jpg

20161031_185826_zpsctqk4a7c.jpg

20161031_185901_zpselapkiwm.jpg

20161031_190038_zpsx5kxc3a3.jpg

cat

Yep. very nice and organized trip, looking good mate.
My cart's are all over the place lol.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Got some more in this past week. Can any of you guy confirm about Thunder Fox working on a Retron 5? The Sega logo boots up then I half to hit start to even get the title screen to come up. It will go to the mission start and then freezes. I'm sure its the Retron and not the game just want to be sure.

cat

Sorry MCF 76 can't really help you with your retron 5 problem, but nice to see choplifter for the SMS, my favourite version of the game and the tightest controls, the chopper handles like a dream.
For what it's worth, my guess is you got an incompatability issue with thunder fox on the retron.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Sorry MCF 76 can't really help you with your retron 5 problem, but nice to see choplifter for the SMS, my favourite version of the game and the tightest controls, the chopper handles like a dream.
For what it's worth, my guess is you got an incompatability issue with thunder fox on the retron.

Yeah I'm sure it's the system. So far it's the only game that hasn't worked I have thrown at it. I plan on getting a OG Megadrive later just using this for now. Oh yeah Choplifter on SMS is my favorite port of it as well. Played through Shinobi Friday night had a blast with it.

Last edited:

cat

Shinobi is another class game on the SMS MCF 76.
I think you've been a little unlucky with thunder fox, i've never owned a retron, but there can't be that many cart's that don't work with it???.

fantat

NEST Puppet
20 Year Member
Yeah I'm sure it's the system. So far it's the only game that hasn't worked I have thrown at it. I plan on getting a OG Megadrive later just using this for now. Oh yeah Choplifter on SMS is my favorite port of it as well. Played through Shinobi Friday night had a blast with it.

I can confirm that the Genesis version of Thunderfox works with the Retron 5. Have you updated the firmware on the Retron? I had a problem with Phelios and after I updated the firmware it worked fine.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Love Sega related stuff, especially from back in the day when they were in their pomp.

The little CDX is my favorite. It saves space, is compatible with the PBC as well as with the 32X (enough space to open the lid and swap out the Sega CD games, even with the 32X attached).

Not winning any beauty contests with those add-ons, tho. :keke:

L0d2A14.jpg

KSiPnU1.jpg

cat

The CDX is a lovely piece of kit, small and perfectly formed.
Look's pretty good even with the add on's in it.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
Right now I'm currently waiting for a scart stereo cable for my model one. I decided to go everdrive a few years back. I want to start collecting megadrive jp stuffs but it can get expensive.