Sega Announces New Daytona USA Title for the Arcades

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
A home port that doesn't look like crap in comparison? Or just any home port?

I can't imagine in this day and age, outside of the cabinet itself that the game wouldn't run perfect on any modern system. Hell, it was prolly written using the Direct X API.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
My dad was going to tell me the news about his heart today, and I cut him off by breaking out in the Daytona song.

Also, Daytona USA Deluxe for PC is the best 90s home port. I highly recommend it. It's the finest refinement of the CCE versions. (Yes, there were different versions of CCE.) It's a bit of a pain to get running properly, though. Buying the game probably isn't too difficult, but you've got to do a whole lot of other crap, too. The installer probably won't work because it's a 16-bit installer. The good news is I think you can simply copy the contents of the CD to C:\SEGA where it was going to install anyway. But then you've got to jump through your own butthole to find the Direct3D/DirectX/whatever patch. Good luck installing that these days. I have actually just perpetuated an old install from an XP 32 bit machine from years ago. But then you're going to find that the game's going to run too slow. You can then finally use this old GoldSRC server tool that kicks your CPU out of power saving mode, thereby running Daytona USA Deluxe at proper speed. But if you're using Windows 10, you're going to have a weird border in fullscreen mode no matter what you do. The good news is that it doesn't block anything too vital. It works well under Windows 7, though. I'm literally going to install and dualboot with Windows 7 on my brand new PC just for Daytona USA Deluxe. It's that important.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Saturn Daytona is fucking awesome.
Another +1, i love saturn daytona, classic soundtrack and a top draw arcade racer.
Not the best draw distance and a bit choppy but i still love it to bits.
Galloping round the track as a horse is a blast as well, i forgot the cheat code years ago though.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
I can't imagine in this day and age, outside of the cabinet itself that the game wouldn't run perfect on any modern system. Hell, it was prolly written using the Direct X API.

Can't agree more. I'm sure at this point a moderate gaming pc might be more powerful than what's in the cabinet.

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
CCE I agree, not the other one.

Hmm.... Your right CCE has the better framerate and draw distance... but they buggered up the handling, and I'm not a fan of the remixed music. And yup I've got the japanese version with the supposedly 'better handling'. To be fair it does have 2 player.

*edit* - I'm talking about CCE on Saturn. Not sure what the PC version plays like, but I'd imagine the same but with better graphics? Nice to hear it works on modern versions of windows.

Totally excited for Daytona 3, I actually can't believe it.

For those interested, here's a video which compares the arcade to all the home ports. Really makes you appreciate how far ahead Daytona USA was in 1993 - took 5 years after that for the PC to catch up.

Last edited:

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I'm talking about CCE on Saturn. Not sure what the PC version plays like, but I'd imagine the same but with better graphics? Nice to hear it works on modern versions of windows.

I'm not sure, since I've never played the Japanese Saturn Championship Edition version or the US Netlink CCE version, but Daytona USA Deluxe on PC seemed to feel somewhere between the US CCE Saturn version and the original arcade version. It's not arcade perfect, but it's still a very enjoyable game. The exclusive Deluxe Edition track also has a turn that practically requires analog gas and extreme technical proficiency.

Don't forget that I'm not talking about the first PC version, which I've also never played, but I heard it's atrocious.

Gosh, there were so many 90s versions.

Arcade Model 2 1993
Arcade Model 2 1994
Arcade Model 2 1994 with Saturn ads
Saturn version
US CCE version
JP Championship Edition version
US Netlink edition
PC version
PC Deluxe version
PC Deluxe Skittles version

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Sweeet, ill wait 20years to buy the cab.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Don't hold your breath for a home port:

http://arcadeheroes.com/2016/11/01/sega-resurrects-daytona-usa-with-daytona-reloaded-arcade/

I agree that a home port would definitely cannibalize arcade sales. If they make a Daytona 3, it makes good sense to make it arcade only (at least for a good while) so people have incentive to go out and play it in arcades (creating a demand), and giving arcade owners/operators incentive to buy the cabinet(s). Don't get me wrong, I would love a home port, but it makes total sense from an arcade sales standpoint not to do so.

As for Daytona on Saturn, the original release is great. It is certainly flawed on a technical level, but it captures the "feel" of the original arcade game, especially with the baller soundtrack. CCE is good in its own right, but I don't consider it an arcade port. Same goes for the Dreamcast game, they are both home console Daytona games apposed to arcade ports.

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
CCE is good in its own right, but I don't consider it an arcade port. Same goes for the Dreamcast game, they are both home console Daytona games apposed to arcade ports.

right on. the DC version would be soooooo good if the controls didn't suck so much ass. i sold mine a while ago because the controls just kept it from clicking with me.

does the game support race wheels? is it any better with one if so?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Don't hold your breath for a home port:

http://arcadeheroes.com/2016/11/01/sega-resurrects-daytona-usa-with-daytona-reloaded-arcade/

I agree that a home port would definitely cannibalize arcade sales. If they make a Daytona 3, it makes good sense to make it arcade only (at least for a good while) so people have incentive to go out and play it in arcades (creating a demand), and giving arcade owners/operators incentive to buy the cabinet(s). Don't get me wrong, I would love a home port, but it makes total sense from an arcade sales standpoint not to do so.

As for Daytona on Saturn, the original release is great. It is certainly flawed on a technical level, but it captures the "feel" of the original arcade game, especially with the baller soundtrack. CCE is good in its own right, but I don't consider it an arcade port. Same goes for the Dreamcast game, they are both home console Daytona games apposed to arcade ports.

I agree, although Daytona 2 never got imported to console. its the best racing game. i would actually go to the arcade to play Daytona 3, i wouldn't bother with the home console, unless they can replicate a legit force feedback wheel w/ shifter.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Nice that it's in the works but didn't sega get the memo the arcades are dead !! I will never understand why sega keeps insisting that some games should stay arcade exclusive.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I agree that a home port would definitely cannibalize arcade sales. If they make a Daytona 3, it makes good sense to make it arcade only (at least for a good while) so people have incentive to go out and play it in arcades (creating a demand), and giving arcade owners/operators incentive to buy the cabinet(s).

I don't think this related to the real world anymore. People aren't deciding to go out to play video games because it isn't available on a home platform. Arcade games are not what draw people out and it wouldn't make a difference, at least in the US.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I don't think this related to the real world anymore. People aren't deciding to go out to play video games because it isn't available on a home platform. Arcade games are not what draw people out and it wouldn't make a difference, at least in the US.

True, arcades are certainly not drawing people out specifically to play games anymore in North America, but I do think that releasing the game on home consoles right now would pretty much kill any sales the arcade cabinets would get. If you happen to be out at a bar/arcade/whatever and see Daytona 3, wouldn't you want to play it since you'd have no other way/chance to?

Either way, keeping the game as an arcade only release (for now) would ensure cab sales to a certain degree.