Screen Size while playing games??? Cannot see score or lives! HELP!

neogeofl

Lurker, ,
I usually play on my 32 inch Toshiba TV or a 53 inch Sony Projection Screen TV. And when I do with my US NGH System, I am having trouble with the dimensions of the screen display. When I play Sengoku 3 and Metal Slug 4 the lives remaining and scores are off the screen half-way or totally and I cannot tell how many lives I have left or what my score is. Is this a common problem? I do remember it with my other Neo's I have had. Is there a solution? Thanks!

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
quite common, my systems doesn't fit on the screen either, and to top it off, it actually varies with different titles.

(MVS or NGH)

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Correct. My mvs displays fine on my television, but my home system displays off center where you can't really see the very top or the very bottom of the screen.

The best solution is to find a 4x3 monitor, as that is the correct proportion for neo geo.

I think the term for your problem is called 'overscan'. I used to have bad overscan problems with all my home systems, as I played on a regular ole Zenith tv set. Then when I bought my flat screen HDTV, all the overscan problems were gone, and I can see every single thing I'm supposed to see, scores, lives and all.

So, yeah, if you get a higher end tv which allows you to adjust the screen ratio, you'll fix this problem.

Last edited:

neogeofl

Lurker, ,
Thanks for the info. My 53 inch TV, while not HDTV, is only a year or so old. I guess I will have to wait until Christmas to get my 65 inch Widescreen HDTV and see if that works. Thanks!

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
You can always crack open the set and adjust the gemoetry if you arte handy, or get a technician to do it for you. If you have a more recent tv you probably have a hidden gemetry menu accessable through a special combination of keys on the remote.

neogeofl said:
Thanks for the info. My 53 inch TV, while not HDTV, is only a year or so old. I guess I will have to wait until Christmas to get my 65 inch Widescreen HDTV and see if that works. Thanks!

I don't think its the size that matters, sorry couldn't resist. But seriously, I have one of the smallest HDTV's you can get, 27" Samsung, and it has 3 different settings for aspect ratio, just like you get with most modern DVD players. I can get some pretty funny combinations if I mess with the aspect ratio's of my TV and my DVD player now.

Getting a 65 inch for XMas? Must be nice, that will rock:buttrock:

SSS

neo retired
On the Toshiba you should be able to access the service menu. You can change vertical size, horizontal etc...

1. TV turned on
2. Press 'Mute' button on the remote.
3. Press 'Mute' button on the remote again and hold.
4. Press the 'Menu' button on the TV.
An S should appear. Press the menu button on the TV again and some options should appear.

Use the 'Channel up'or"Channel dwn' to select the item.
5. Write down the old value of the item before changing.
(VERY important, make sure you remember the old settings. there is no default option that will set it back the way it was)
6. Use Volume up and down adjust the value.
7. When you have made all the adjustments you want turn the set off to exit.

I suggest the only 4 settings you mess with are vertical/horizontal position, and vertical/horizontal size. They may be named funny, so you will have to find them.

There are many other items in the service menu, DON'T mess with them. They could fuck up your tv. This menu is intended for service personel only, that's why instructions on how to access it are not included in the TV manual.

I've done this on my smaller 24 inch Toshiba because the Neo Geo image was stretched off the screen.

---------------------------------------------------------

If anyone reading has a smaller Toshiba, but does not have a menu button on the TV, you can still access the service menu.

1. TV on
2. Press and hold volume down on the TV (once it's all the way down, still keep holding)
3. While still holding Vol dwn, press and hold button "9" on the remote.
4. Service menu should appear.
5 Again, chnl up/down change item, vol up/dwn change setting.
6. WRITE DOWN ORIGINAL SETTINGS.
7. Press menu button on the remote to exit.

I think the smaller Toshiba's service menu is easier to understand than the larger sets. I think it has settings for AV mode/ and TV mode. AV settings might appear in yellow, TV in red.

-------------------------------------------------------------

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK, DON'T WHINE TO ME IF YOU SCREW UP YOUR SET.

Last edited:

neogeofl

Lurker, ,
GunstarHero said:
I don't think its the size that matters, sorry couldn't resist. But seriously, I have one of the smallest HDTV's you can get, 27" Samsung, and it has 3 different settings for aspect ratio, just like you get with most modern DVD players. I can get some pretty funny combinations if I mess with the aspect ratio's of my TV and my DVD player now.

Getting a 65 inch for XMas? Must be nice, that will rock:buttrock:

Been saving up for a little over a year now. Did not want to pay interest. I have money taken out of every pay check to get this and it is good I waited since you can get a Sony, Mitsubishi, or Toshiba 65 inch Widescreen HDTV now for $2,400 or less. :) It helps to be patient and work for it sometimes rather then just buy it. Which is what I usually do except this time.

neogeofl

Lurker, ,
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
On the Toshiba you should be able to access the service menu. You can change vertical size, horizontal etc...

1. TV turned on
An S should appear. Press the menu button on the TV again and some options should appear.

Use the 'Channel up'or"Channel dwn' to select the item.
5. Write down the old value of the item before changing.
(VERY important, make sure you remember the old settings. there is no default option that will set it back the way it was)
6. Use Volume up and down adjust the value.
7. When you have made all the adjustments you want turn the set off to exit.

I suggest the only 4 settings you mess with are vertical/horizontal position, and vertical/horizontal size. They may be named funny, so you will have to find them.

There are many other items in the service menu, DON'T mess with them. They could fuck up your tv. This menu is intended for service personel only, that's why instructions on how to access it are not included in the TV manual.

I've done this on my smaller 24 inch Toshiba because the Neo Geo image was stretched off the screen.

---------------------------------------------------------

If anyone reading has a smaller Toshiba, but does not have a menu button on the TV, you can still access the service menu.

1. TV on
2. Press and hold volume down on the TV (once it's all the way down, still keep holding)
3. While still holding Vol dwn, press and hold button "9" on the remote.
4. Service menu should appear.
5 Again, chnl up/down change item, vol up/dwn change setting.
6. WRITE DOWN ORIGINAL SETTINGS.
7. Press menu button on the remote to exit.

I think the smaller Toshiba's service menu is easier to understand than the larger sets. I think it has settings for AV mode/ and TV mode. AV settings might appear in yellow, TV in red.

-------------------------------------------------------------

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK, DON'T WHINE TO ME IF YOU SCREW UP YOUR SET.

Thanks, I will try this tonight. My Toshiba was bought in 1995 and still has the best picture and I have never had an issue with it. I love Toshiba. My Sony, well that is another story. I will never buy another Sony again. Especially Projection!

SSS

neo retired
neogeofl said:
Thanks, I will try this tonight. My Toshiba was bought in 1995 and still has the best picture and I have never had an issue with it. I love Toshiba. My Sony, well that is another story. I will never buy another Sony again. Especially Projection!

It may not work for a TV that old, but it's worth a try. There may be a different service code for your tv. I've only tried the toshiba codes on recent flat screen TVs.

neogeofl

Lurker, ,
It may not work for a TV that old, but it's worth a try. There may be a different service code for your tv. I've only tried the toshiba codes on recent flat screen TVs.

Thanks, I will let you know if it works. It is an older TV, but I just could never get rid of it. Has a better picture then my 53 inch Sony TV I spent $1,800 on about 1 1/2 years ago.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
neogeofl said:
My Top-Loader CD System is okay though! Pisses me off though! Makes me :loco:

Thats odd... My US AES doesn't do it, but my US toploader does... I don't ever remember seeing it until I played on the Toshiba Cinema series.

neogeofl

Lurker, ,
Bluevoodu said:
Thats odd... My US AES doesn't do it, but my US toploader does... I don't ever remember seeing it until I played on the Toshiba Cinema series.

Hey Dave, how's it going? My JPN Top-Loader is perfect. It is just my New US AES that does it. I have yet to hook it up to my Sony, I will try it tonight but I remember it doing it with past Neo's I had. I am going to bring it by my friends house this weekend. He just got a Plasma 42 inch Akai (I think that is it). It was $2,699.00 at Costco. Figure I will see how my Neo looks on it :glee:

neogeofl

Lurker, ,
Tried it on my 53 inch Sony and it was actually worse. I could not see the score at all in Sengoku 3. My Toshiba did not work with those instructions, but thanks for trying to help me out with this.

DIX

Astra Superstar

1. TV turned on

[/B]

Cool ! But how have you discovered it?

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I get the same problem on my wide screen tv
i got 4 choices of screen cinema which is the whole area and you cant see the level at the bottom though

then you got high level where it enlarges the screen from the top down so you see even less of the bottom

then you have low level which enlarges the screen from the bottom up then you dont see the life bar of the fighters

and finally original mode which turns the scren into a square screen in the centre of the tv screen and only then can you see everything but the screen is too small then though

once in a while i use the top level function so the fighters fill up the whole screen which is cool