Samurai Shodown 2 Character Help

breal

Hardened Shock Trooper
Kazuki Dash said:
don't underestimate Galford too much though...

you'd be amazed how much damage he can inflict with a proper swipe of the "Justice Blade"...I've seen many a match where the tide was turned with the help of some well placed AB slashes...
:eek:

but in general, I'll say that Hanzo is best used as an intimidator with his power, and Galford can excel as a Jack-of-all-trades with his varied special move arsenal...and his CD Strike Heads isn't too shabby either...

Oh I'm not underestimating Galford, b/c I use to know a guy who owned Ukyo for free with Galford, he's just not as strong as Hanzo, but Galford is a beast too. Hell every character in SS2 can own if you play them right.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
breal said:
Hell every character in SS2 can own if you play them right.

this one statement shows the timeless quality of SS2 and why people insist on thinking of it as a work of true game-developing craftmanship...well said

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I just got SS3 in the mail today, and I personally am enamored with it. I don't know why it gets bashed on so much. I can't wait to get 4 now. SS 3 has got a terrible hold on me.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Galford's got more combo ability than Hanzo. Jumping AB slash, ducking AB slash = pain.

Jumping AB slash, standing AB slash, Rush Dog.

Galford seems alot faster too.

Power's not everything...

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Actually, it turns out that Galford is a stronger character than Hanzo in SS2 overall in pretty much every department other than damage.

Neither ninja has particularly good normal moves (the low AB in SS2 is not the monster it was in SS1).

Galford can string together special moves after blocked normals for a much better pressure/positioning game. Continuous dash-in attacks, jump attacks, low D/low AB/low B/standing A into A-button rush dog or A-button plasma blade is a great way to force an opponent to stay still and block, and we all know what Samurai Shodown ninjas do to guys who stay still and block. Galford's running strike heads moved him forwards and was an easy way to plant the other guy in the corner to apply even more pressure. Poppy also gives Galford a (gimmicky and unreliable) air defense.

Hanzo's running shrike drop moves him backwards (?!) so that he corners himself (?!). His volcano blast is a joke in SS2 (look at the incredible startup delay, it's like he's waiting for you to hit him), so is his air shuriken throw. The only clear cut advantage Hanzo has over Galford, other than damage on the shrike drop and some normals, is his invisibility is a tiny bit trickier (no dog following him around), but any good SS2 player can work around invisibility (and won't let ninjas turn invisible in the first place). You could also maybe make the argument that Hanzo's POW special is a little better, but they're both pretty worthless. Galford ties or beats Hanzo in every other department. This is coming from a former die-hard SS1 Hanzo player. Very disappointing for me when SS2 first came out, but I got over it and stuck with Galford over Hanzo. Never looked back.

Halox said:
I have a love/hate relationship with this game. I absolutely adore it, but I am frikkin' awful at it. I am lucky to get past 3 people. I have actually resorted to playing mainly SSIV, because I can at least feel competitive with it.

snesaes said:
I just got SS3 in the mail today, and I personally am enamored with it...I muchcan't wait to get 4 now.

Although the topic of the thread has progressed to SS3/4 (which share a different gameplay style than that of SS1/2), I'm going to comment on SS2 because I anticipate that you'll go back to it soon. That's not saying there's anything wrong with the later SS games, but it's just that...people who play SS always seem to gravitate back to SS2, it's just got that sort of pull, even after they've seen all the endings.

I take that back...SS5 was a major disappointment, even with the huge ghoul thing.

With that being the case and me being a big fan of this classic, I hope to get you out of that love/hate rut you may have or may develop with the game. Embrace the Samurai Spirit twice-over, I say!

Here is the best advice as already posted by another member, which I feel deserves some additional remarks.

Syxx573 said:
Just learn all the characters... it's not like there are that many special moves in the game.

For SS2, that's a really good idea, which is also easy to implement. The moves are all pretty much based on quarter circle forward/back and dragon punch motions anyway, so it's simple to learn a new character. However, the main thing is that SS2 is really based on nuance; most characters share similar special moves/combos/tactics, so it's the little things that determine victory, like the reach and speed of one's sword. Even if you want to simply master one or two characters, you should play all the others just to know their strengths and weaknesses; this is true of all fighting games, but I find it most effective in SS2.

If you follow Syxx573's suggestion of trying out everyone, you'll find that there will be a huge leap in improvement very soon in your chosen character. In addition, even for the other characters that you play once or twice, you'll find you could play through the game; this is because you'll know the weaknesses of each opponent, having played as them once or twice, too. The point is to learn the system, not just one character; once you do that, everything falls into place for you.

The above advice was first given to me by a guy whose favoured character was the ninja Hanzo. My friends and I were in awe of this guy when SS2 had just came out; he'd go in the arcade, pick a random character, beat it and get the special ending for when you don't use any continues. At that time, I played exclusively with Genan and thought I was pretty good with him...except for the fact that I, too, had problems get past the 3rd stage. Once I started to learn the other characters, thus the system, I found that it wasn't all that difficult to beat the game at all with anyone.

The main reason I'm saying all this is that snesaes mentioned Jubei; that's a guy really worth playing once you learn the other characters because of his awesome parry move and depends entirely on knowing exactly when the opponent is going for a big slash. It's absolutely golden seeing that moment when blades cross; my favourite is when he does it to Genan, whose hands are trying to force his razor glove down, leaving himself completely open to Jubei's eviscerating counter-blow.

You'll find that, after some practice, the move is quite easy to do, and you'll probably first learn to use it when fighting Kyoshiro in front of his kabuki audience. It's better than a Fatality, I promise you. Ukyo's probably the top character, fine, and all the other characters can be equally good when mastered, true, but I will contend that Jubei's got the most style and when you beat another player with him using the parry move appropriately, there's a certain R-E-S-P-E-T-C attached to the win...that's right, I'm talking respetc.

Oh, in case you ever want to check out the endings (I know you've seen all the SS2 ones at this point), please go to http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/neogeo/ .

Jubei, man...I mean, everyone else has 2 eyes and 1 weapon, he's got 1 eye and 2 blades. Respetc.

Last edited:

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Hell yeah... that is the fun of fighting games... learning to become good at using everyone. It's ok to have your favorite characters... these days a lot of people stick to one or two characters because they play competitavely. That's boring. When you learn to use everyone to some degree the game becomes more fun and you'll want to keep playing because you'll want to use everyone! Like Dean Howard said... a lot of the basics for the characters are the same. Unlike most fighting games you'll probably use special moves in very small amounts. It seems like a lot of the time when I'm playing SS rounds go by where I don't even throw out a single special move.

Also, don't get discouraged about learning everyone... especially if you haven't played many fighting games. If you play more it's easier to remember a lot of the moves. I mean look at King of Fighters/Street Fighter 2/Street Fighter 3/Street Fighter Alpha/Last Blade/Rival Schools.... that's a lot of characters but I still remember the moves (or most of them at least). It becomes easier eventually. It just takes a long time to get into that mindset.

Last edited:

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I always thought Ukyo was really stylish but I never found him as effective as Haohmaru, who I reckon is the most powerful character.

His jumping strong slash is vicious if timed properly, both in defence and attack.

I also like using his jumping strong kick followed standing medium slash and then medium dragon punch.

If you're in trouble against the computer force the opponent to jump with a fireball then just pick your distance and use stand medium/ strong slash or a dragon punch.

His standing strong slash is the best in the game I reckon.