Samurai Shodown 2 Character Help

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I've had SS2 for a little over a year now, and after all is said and done, one thing still remains: I really suck at the game and have yet to beat it! I was wondering if anyone could post some character strategies or at least tell me something worth while so I could see some character endings. Right now I'm focused on Ukyo and Jubei (I like Ukyo more, but I play Jubei better), but any strats with anybody would be some help.

Brett.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
best thing to do is familiarize yourself with EVERY aspect of your given character...try out each attack in as many different scenarios as you can think of, learn the properties in each case (is it high priority, good for keep away, good for poking, etc)...I find this to be of tremendous help when focusing on one character...once you have intensive knowledge of what they can(and can't) do, you will know how to react properly in battle...

SwordPlay

Crossed Swords Squire
Ukyo Tips:

1) QCF+D (After-Image Attack):

Only the first few frames (or "Images") are vulnerable to attack, after that, it's invincible from the rest of the way on. But the "D" version is different from the other "C" and "CD" versions, in that, if blocked, it has zero recovery time on it - giving yourself plenty of time to set yourself up with another attack before your opponent has the chance to counter.

(I personaly like to follow it up with a Crouching B Slash or another QCF+D)

2) Swallow Swipe:

The fastest and most varied fireball in the game.

Because of all the variations on its height and angle of attack, it makes for a very unpredictable form of attack. It can go under (or over) other fireballs if timed right, knock just about anyone out of air and be fired at an extremely rabid rate.

3) A and B Slashes:

His standard "A and B" Slashes are among the fastest and most long-reached standard Slashes in the game -- learn to use them.

His "Standing AB" and "Crouching AB" have a decent chunk of lag on their recovery times; so try and avoid using them unless you're sure that they will connect.

His "Jumping AB" owns -- great range, speed, power and has priority over pretty much anything (it's also a good attack to use while jumping back and retreating.)

4) Combo:

Jump AB, Stand AB, QCF+CD = ownage

Learn that combo.

Abuse it.

But don't feel happy when you beat someone with it, because it's way too powerful for its own good (much like Ukyo.)

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I just got SS2 the other day, but I'd put in alot of hours into SS1 over the last couple of months. The best way I think is just trial and error on getting your ass kicked. But, pay attention when you lose. Remember what moves seemed effective or non-effective against other characters. I haven't gotten into playing her much, but Cham Cham always gives me a hard time so far.

Have you made it to Mizuki yet ? She's another SNK cheese boss.

If she's your problem and you really want to beat her, just use Earthquake and keep using A+B while crouching. Another cheap way to beat her is with Haohmaru. Get semi-close to her and fake a cyclone ( QCF+K ) then quickly do his leaping attack ( DP+K ). 90% of the time the fake cyclone triggers her into throwing that ground portal out, the DP+K hops over it and nails her. :) So far I've only beatin the game on level 3 at the highest, used Haohmaru.

Temjin

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Get a memory card, practice on Mizuki until you beat her! :)

Only one character I cannot beat...that bastard judge Kuroko!!

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Ukyo is the strongest character in SS2 bar none. Jubei is also way up there (though Charlotte is stronger).

The secret to getting decent at SS2 is to know your normal attacks as well as your special attacks.

Ukyo's low A is a great, fast poke. His low B from a far range is a slower, more combo-friendly slash that works great, but it overlaps with his close low B, which is slow overhand slash that will usually get you killed if you whiff it. His close standing B is another great combo move, but can be ducked under.

Ukyo's main combo is with his qcf+K after-image attack. The C version is fastest but it can sometimes miss crouching opponents at very rare distances, still it's generally your primary combo move. The D and CD versions are harder to avoid but slower. Save these for combos after his close standing AB. There's also a bastardly trick you can do with the after-image slash that involves some timing, but it shows how broken Ukyo is as a character.

Ukyo's other main attack is his swallow slash, jump, db/d/df+slash. Don't even bother doing it after a forward jump in the air. The best thing about the move is that, like in SS1, it can be done "off the ground" with db/d/df/f/uf (or all the way up if you don't want to move forwards). Since it counts as an "air" attack, it's an instant overhead. Actually works sometimes on the CPU as long as you don't abuse it. Against human players, you can use this as a follow-up fake out after a blocked after-image, a blocked low C kick (very fast and hits low), or after a jump CD kick in the corner (hits twice). Sets up a nasty high-low game.

Ukyo's swallow slash also has a bug/feature in SS2 where it can be used on a back dash (that is, tapping back twice counts as jumping in the air). If you perform a db/d/df+slash while you're hopping back, Ukyo will toss the swallow under the screen and have it float back up. It's basically a normal projectile once you get the timing down, and it's pretty easy.

Ukyo is a monster against human opponents, especially when played aggressively with corner traps, since his high-low game with the swallow slash is hard to outguess if you vary things up (especially with walk-up throws...that can really make people mad). Oh yes, if you're going to use his snowfall slash (qcb+slash), only use the AB version. It's decent for block damage against someone you've just knocked over, but not much more.

Don't bother with Ukyo's f,hcf+AB POW special. It's one of the worst in the game.

Jubei is a character that depends even more on his normal moves, most obviously his B slashes (people hated him for this in arcades). His B slashes have great range and are bufferable, so a lot of low-skill Jubei players used to "turtle" by backing away as far as possible and poking with a standing or low B, and jumping backwards with an air B slash to counter any jump attacks.

If you want to learn how to play him worth a damn, learn the ranges on his B-slashes, as well as his far standing A (which is much faster than his standing B), and also memorize how to pull his counter attack (qcb, f+A) out of nowhere, in an instant. Against human players, an obvious tactic is to whiff a slash or kick, then cancel the animation in to the counter to stop a counterattack.

Jubei's special moves aren't much use outside of a combo. His standard one is a B-slash -> qcf + A. Jubei can also viciously punish big mistakes with a standing AB -> qcf + slash or f/d/df+slash (watch timing and distance). His low kicks have been slowed down from SS1, but his low D still has passable reach. His far standing C is actually a decent poke.

Jubei has a very good POW special, since he has plenty of fairly fast normal moves that can be canceled into specials/his POW special. Just like with his counter move, learn how to pull it out on a hair trigger and experiment with whiffing normal moves into the POW special. If you buffer off a very fast move like a far standing A, you can actually hit someone with it even after your previous move gets stuffed.

As for Mizuki, she's quite easily the most fair boss in any SNK game, and possibly the most fair boss in any game to date. You can definitely beat her fair and square if you're careful enough and skilled enough, though she is also, in addition to that, vulnerable to a few patterns if you get desperate. If you're having trouble with her, keepaway tactics with Jubei work just fine. I usually play Ukyo very aggressively against her, so I don't have many beginner tips for her.

If you're just desperate to see any kind of ending, pick one of the ninjas and use the shadow copy (f, hcf+button) move, then as soon as you reappear, use the f/d/df+K strike heads/shrike drop grapple. If your timing is right, and it's pretty easy, you'll reappear already grabbing her. She won't be able to do a thing to you, but it's a lot more satisfying to take her on fair and square.

Kazuki Dash

EX_Andy said:
Ukyo is the strongest character in SS2 bar none. Jubei is also way up there (though Charlotte is stronger).

Ukyo's swallow slash also has a bug/feature in SS2 where it can be used on a back dash (that is, tapping back twice counts as jumping in the air). If you perform a db/d/df+slash while you're hopping back, Ukyo will toss the swallow under the screen and have it float back up. It's basically a normal projectile once you get the timing down, and it's pretty easy.
easily the most abusable thing an Ukyo player can learn to do, ay yi yi...
:eek_2:

As for Mizuki, she's quite easily the most fair boss in any SNK game, and possibly the most fair boss in any game to date.
*cough* Krauser *cough*
;)

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
I have a love/hate relationship with this game. I absolutely adore it, but I am frikkin' awful at it. I am lucky to get past 3 people. I have actually resorted to playing mainly SSIV, because I can at least feel competitive with it.

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I can't believe I actually got people to post back to my stuff! All the Ukyo tips were awesome, I can actually do good with him , Cham Cham still gives me a hard time, and I have gotten to Mizkui once, didn't beat her, about 3 weeks before my post. I'll probably try out some more stuff later tonight, but thanks for the help everyone! It kinda sucks how overpowered Ukyo is. He's my favorite guy. Is he as unbalanced in any of the other SS games as this one?

Temjin

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I say Charlotte is harder than Cham Cham. I found a stupid trick though, jumping straight into the air doing an A+B slash, often the computer underestimates the distance or something and walks into it. Works good on Neinhalt to. Havent really found that Ukyo is THAT good. Im gonna try that flamebird trick that goes under the ground...! :smirk:

SwordPlay

Crossed Swords Squire
Temjin said:
Havent really found that Ukyo is THAT good. Im gonna try that flamebird trick that goes under the ground...! :smirk:

Ukyo is a God-like tier in SS2.

He was actually very close to being banned from SS2 tournaments back in the day.

breal

Hardened Shock Trooper
I didn't want to post in this thread until I saw the statement that Ukyo's not that good. Ukyo in SS2 could possibly be the single most dominant character in any fighting game that does not include secret characters or bosses. Trust me you don't want to know how cheap Ukyo is, I've played matches where I had to stop playing with him b/c no one else would play as long as I kept picking Ukyo. Ukyo SS2= Fighting God.

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
When you play more, you'll see that Ukyo is a totally broken character. He's way too overpowered and ruins the game balance once you figure out all his tricks. Charlotte is also a monster. Nakoruru is almost completely helpless against upper-tier characters, and Earthquake is a pile of crap at higher levels of play.

Still, even though the game is totally unbalanced, it's still loads of fun, and pretty much any character can still beat any other character, unless you're playing against opponents who have completely mastered every last little nuance of their characters. (Ukyo vs. Nakoruru and Ukyo vs. Earthquake become joke fights then.)

Best game in the series.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Hey, most people can't play Ukyo to his fullest. So you should be okay.

As long as I'm not playing with Jubei in SS1 or SS2... it's all good. Jubei used to be sick as hell with his jumping A or B. His 2 in 1 combos were twisted.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
Ukyo is deffenittely top tier but a good haoh player should be able to cut him up pretty good. same goes for a good hanzo & galford player and not to mention kuroko the ref. but in the end he remains top cheese cause of his speed and no lag moves. thats why you need to outprioritize a chara like that with haohs dp or hanzo spd. better not mention kuroko cause hes the real cheese of the game.

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I finally beat Mizuki today, I used Ukyo. She beat me 1 of the 3 rounds. I'd have to agree that she's one of the more "fairer" of the SNK. Probably the easiest one I've played against beside Mukai. After I get my tire fixed, I'm gonna try and beat it with Haohmaru. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Brett.

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Saisyu Kusanagi said:
IF YOU HAVE A GOOD DRAGON PUNCH MOTION, I THINK HANZO IS NUMBER 1. :cool:

I can dragon punch like you read about son! I'll try him out later tonight. Whats with that big bulge on his chest anyways? I was looking at it and had no idea what it might be.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
Saisyu Kusanagi said:
IF YOU HAVE A GOOD DRAGON PUNCH MOTION, I THINK HANZO IS NUMBER 1. :cool:

That's assuming you can get close enough to the person to do this motion.

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Most of you probably know this, but if you beat Mizuki on NeoCD, you get to save right before her, so it becomes real easy to see endings! The infinte continues never hurts either (for me anyways.) Anywho, I'm now trying to learn Hanzo (white costume version) He alone has shown me the depth of the game by just how much faster he is than most. Do you think I should learn Hanzo or Galford? (Despite the fact I don't really like ninjas)

breal

Hardened Shock Trooper
learn them both, but I prefer Hanzo b/c he's a helluva lot stronger than Galford

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Just learn all the characters... it's not like there are that many special moves in the game.

Kazuki Dash

don't underestimate Galford too much though...

you'd be amazed how much damage he can inflict with a proper swipe of the "Justice Blade"...I've seen many a match where the tide was turned with the help of some well placed AB slashes...
:eek:

but in general, I'll say that Hanzo is best used as an intimidator with his power, and Galford can excel as a Jack-of-all-trades with his varied special move arsenal...and his CD Strike Heads isn't too shabby either...