RUMOR - Microsoft looking to purchase Capcom?

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Japanese developers pretty much lost their "stronghold" factor when Halo and GTA3 hit the scene. As much as most of us hate to admit it...

And for me personally, Japanese gaming became irrelevent when I put Gears of War in my 360. :buttrock: Hmmm... do I want to wonder around for hours with some faggy looking character that talks with a lisp in a game thats now in the double digits as far as sequels go, or would I rather experience the most intense firefights I've ever seen in a video game?

I wonder...

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
jp. said:
Japanese developers pretty much lost their "stronghold" factor when Halo and GTA3 hit the scene. As much as most of us hate to admit it...

And for me personally, Japanese gaming became irrelevent when I put Gears of War in my 360. :buttrock: Hmmm... do I want to wonder around for hours with some faggy looking character that talks with a lisp in a game thats now in the double digits as far as sequels go, or would I rather experience the most intense firefights I've ever seen in a video game?

I wonder...
Of course. But I would say Japanese developers are still a huge factor. A few key American franchises doesn't invalidate the core base that Japan has always had.

SouthtownKid said:
Exactly. Atari hasn't made one successful thing since the first generation -- where they basically invented the market for themselves. Atari is a perfect example of an American company that made a fool of itself trying to push its hardware.

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Neo Alec said:
Of course. But I would say Japanese developers are still a huge factor. A few key American franchises doesn't invalidate the core base that Japan has always had.

Japan is still very important, there's no denying that. But what I'm saying is that they don't "make or break" a console anymore. Western developers are making games just as good (and a lot times better) than their Eastern counterparts. Sure, Western games may not sell consoles in Japan, but you best believe Ubisoft and Rockstar see higher sales in the west than almost any Japanese devs.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I will just go ahead and say I disagree with almost everything Neo Alec has said.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm not one of those gamers who has their head so far up Japan's ass that they won't accept games that aren't Japanese. I played both Halo's thoroughly upon release, I like GTA, Need for Speed, I'm huge on Gears of War, and I just said in the Wii graphics thread that I prefer the Metroid Prime games to the old Metroids.

I'm just saying Microsoft isn't the right player for the console market. Furthermore, Japanese brands tend to create a more favorable balance of developers for their platforms. That's why the GC and the PS2 have a good mix, while Xbox is lacking support from Japanese developers.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
The Gaming industry is infested with Ea and Rockstar games, The way it is looking is that there is just going to be games for Chav's / Trailer trash people.

True gaming died with the Saturn.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
jeff bogard said:
i like the sound of that.

Nintendo i remember was very close to getting bought up by MS. .

what?

stop talking outta your ass.

MS tried to buy SEGA three times and failed. they never tried to buy nintendo

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
AppleiDog said:
The Gaming industry is infested with Ea and Rockstar games, The way it is looking is that there is just going to be games for Chav's / Trailer trash people.

nah

you missed on a lot of stuff if you think that

I think you're just bitter

the binary c0de

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
i bet you buying capcom would get capcom to clam up and not produce anything good until their contract with MS is up.
Would that really be how it works? I think it would be contracting them if there was a contract "be up", but I don't know how these sort of things work...

Bakaneiro

Marked Wolf
If this turns out to be true I'm almost certain that M$ would let Capcom do games for the DS (since RARE is doing diddy kong racing DS as we speak) and probably for the Wii too... wii360?

Everything to fuck Sony

It kinda reminded me the time when playstation had namco, square soft, tomb raider 2(lol)

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
hanafudaX said:
They have to thow some money somewhere soon, so it could be Capcom. I can't see it though. Capcom are doing OK at the moment, and aren't under any pressure to sell up. Plus, they know that being bought out by MS would be a huge mistake.

Now that GoW is out, the list of big name, upcoming titles is looking very sparse for the 360. They have run out of hype.

Beyond having a cheaper price point than the PS3, there really isn't much to sell the 360 on now. They no longer have the monopoly with their XBOX Live system either.

Has that PS3 of yours been rotting your brain? There are at least 4 Grade A exclusives hitting the 360 in 2007 (Blue Dragon, Lost Planet, Lost Odyssey, and oh umm.....HALO 3!) not to mention a bunch of other very kosher multi platform stuff as well. Also, in case you didn't notice, 3 out of those 4 exclusives are going to really push system sales in Japan. I do not think Xbox 360 fans have to worry about a dull year ahead.

On another note, Capcom is no longer the powerhouse it used to be. If Microsoft bought them up, then they could lock up the Resident Evil and Megaman (does anyone really care anymore) franchises as xbox exclusives, but I don't think this would have too much of a major impact. Now if Microsoft bought up Square, then we have a different story.....

Although Japan is still an important market, the west is where the money is at for the future of gaming; the potential market is bigger and western gamers, I believe, are more open to trying new types of genres.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Eldios said:
western gamers, I believe, are more open to trying new types of genres.

lol, yeah sure, they are open to try new games provided they're FPS, racers or bloody FPS-RPGs.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
China/India/Russia are the next big gaming markets. they're getting ripe for the taking.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
jp. said:
Truer words have never been said.
Yes they have. There have been so many great games released post-Saturn, it's ridiculous. Between Jet Set/Grind Radio/Radio Future, MGS3, Ninja Gaiden, RE4, Guitar Hero, Silent Hill 2, Wind Waker, God Hand, SFAC, SFAlpha Collection, all the import PS2 shooters, etc. etc., I have a hard time remembering what was so special about Saturn in the first place. I'm tempted to say, "nothing, anymore."

"true gaming died with..." What a load of shit.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Eldios said:
Has that PS3 of yours been rotting your brain? There are at least 4 Grade A exclusives hitting the 360 in 2007 (Blue Dragon, Lost Planet, Lost Odyssey, and oh umm.....HALO 3!) not to mention a bunch of other very kosher multi platform stuff as well. Also, in case you didn't notice, 3 out of those 4 exclusives are going to really push system sales in Japan. I do not think Xbox 360 fans have to worry about a dull year ahead.
You're really reaching here. "Lost Planet"? These might be okay, but no one ever decided that these were going to be huge games. Some people are only looking forward to them for lack of much else coming out on the platform. Keep in mind 360 owners (including myself) have suffered a year-long drought since buying the console, and the only thing noteworthy all year was Dead Rising. Rockstar's Table Tennis even got to be big news.

SouthtownKid said:
Guitar Hero
Someone please explain to me the appeal of Guitar Hero. The exact concept had already come and gone in Japan with Guitar Freaks from Konami. Red Octane started out dealing in Bemani accessories and games -- they just ripped off Konami.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
Someone please explain to me the appeal of Guitar Hero. The exact concept had already come and gone in Japan with Guitar Freaks from Konami. Red Octane started out dealing in Bemani accessories and games -- they just ripped off Konami.
The fact that it's becoming more and more clear how resistant you are to any non-Japanese gaming is starting to seem pathetic.

THE SONGS. Is that really so hard to understand? Some jackass on amazon also wrote a review with a comment similar to yours, about how Red Octane ripped off the Bemani idea blah blah blah. You know what? I've lived in Japan. I love Japan. I have friends and a host family there, and it is a great place. But I grew up listening to music like the Stones, Iggy and the Stooges, Guns 'n Roses, and so IT IS FUN to play that music now. I don't ket a huge kick out of playing some made up shit or some random J-Pop that I don't give a fuck about, even if the game concept originally came from Japan and waaah waaah waah.

Get it?

edit: and no one is "reaching" anything with Lost Planet. No one was more skeptical of the need for another MS console than I was, or more doubtful of it getting any quality Japanese 3rd party support. But at the entire E3 show this year, nothing impressed me as much as Lost Planet. Nothing Sony was showing playable at the time looked any better, and nothing at the entire show was any more fun to play. I had never heard of it before seeing it there, and it was easily the most impressive game at the show for me.

Last edited:

slugnoid

Another Striker
Neo Alec said:

has the blind, narrow-minded brand loyalty most japanese (and japanese developers) have not occurred to you?

just wondering... i really could care less about the 360 (or the PS3 for that matter), but i'd be surprised if it didn't all truly boil down to stubborn japanese developers only wanting to produce on japanese hardware.

p.s.. i love japan, so and perceived 'tone' is unintentional.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
AppleiDog said:

Saturn still remains to be my system of choice. So many great games on this system. And dreamcast runs a close second.

And since im mentioning the saturn. Where the hell has treasure been. Jesus I need a new original game from them.

Last edited:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Treasure is Treasure. They put out a game, and then dissappear into the shadows for a while. Then, all of a sudden, when they're close on finishing a new game, they appear again. I don't think I ever remember hearing about Treasure unless they announce some game they're almost finished with.

Bakaneiro

Marked Wolf
Kirk Foiden said:
Treasure is Treasure. They put out a game, and then dissappear into the shadows for a while. Then, all of a sudden, when they're close on finishing a new game, they appear again. I don't think I ever remember hearing about Treasure unless they announce some game they're almost finished with.

Truer words have never been said.