RUMOR - Microsoft looking to purchase Capcom?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
buttasuperb said:
It would be great just to see all the dumbfuck sony fanboys flip out, but it won't happen.

Capcom just needs to announce SFA2 for xbla.
How can you be indifferent to Microsoft's presence in the console market like that? They don't belong. You need to succeed in the Japanese market first.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
BoriquaSNK said:
Everyone's calling bullshit...but watch it happen.

MS is either gonna buy Capcom or Tecmo to leverage themselves into the Nipponese market. Watch.

They have to thow some money somewhere soon, so it could be Capcom. I can't see it though. Capcom are doing OK at the moment, and aren't under any pressure to sell up. Plus, they know that being bought out by MS would be a huge mistake.

Now that GoW is out, the list of big name, upcoming titles is looking very sparse for the 360. They have run out of hype.

Beyond having a cheaper price point than the PS3, there really isn't much to sell the 360 on now. They no longer have the monopoly with their XBOX Live system either.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Not related but what do you call it when the beasts are dead? Is that necrobestiality? Even if it's a fish?

creepy

absolutely creepy

no more comments.

GeoStigma

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Yeah, this is gonna happen, just like that, "Microsoft to buy SquareEnix" rumor that went around a few months ago. If you believe this bullshit, go back to drinking draino.

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
hanafudaX said:
Now that GoW is out, the list of big name, upcoming titles is looking very sparse for the 360. They have run out of hype.
Oh come now, you should know better than that.
They've got an entire years-worth of Halo3 hype to drip-feed the fanboys with. Who needs other games?
Trust me, by the time that finally hits retail, you'll know every last detail right down to how they bump-mapped Cortana's arse.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
hanafudaX said:

Wow, it sure is good I read this post. I'd hate to think I enjoyed playing my 360 due to the good games I have for it.

All this time I've been enjoying it due to the heavy hype output! And now that that's gone, no fun for me.

I guess I'll have to run out and buy a sony system. They are guaranteed to come with an infinite supply of hype! Lifetime guarantee!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
BC_Gambit said:
Wow, it sure is good I read this post. I'd hate to think I enjoyed playing my 360 due to the good games I have for it.

All this time I've been enjoying it due to the heavy hype output! And now that that's gone, no fun for me.

I guess I'll have to run out and buy a sony system. They are guaranteed to come with an infinite supply of hype! Lifetime guarantee!
You may enjoy them, but you'll have less games to enjoy.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
i like the sound of that.

Nintendo i remember was very close to getting bought up by MS. and Sega decided to go with Sammy, which if i remember correctly didn't end up the way they wanted.

either way, im pretty sure capcom is financially stable now compared to how it was doingn 2 years ago.

then again, MS checkbook is pretty big, so.....

i really hope they go with MS, really.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
jeff bogard said:
i like the sound of that.

Nintendo i remember was very close to getting bought up by MS. and Sega decided to go with Sammy, which if i remember correctly didn't end up the way they wanted.

I wish Sammy never bought up Sega

also, I don't think MS was ever close to buying Nintendo

that was just rumor

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
If Microsoft bought Capcom we'd just be getting 360 games from them. That would mean no more Capcom for DS, PSP, Wii, PS2/PS3 etc. That would be lame. Probably no more Arcade support either, but it's not like the lazy assholes at Capcom ever were going to release a good hi-res 2D fighter for arcade anyway. :rolleyes:

Vampire Savior 3? Street Fighter 4? They were rumored and HIGHLY anticipated, but Capcom didn't care. Now that I think about it, screw 'em.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
ResOGlas said:
If Microsoft bought Capcom we'd just be getting 360 games from them. That would mean no more Capcom for DS, PSP, Wii, PS2/PS3 etc. That would be lame. Probably no more Arcade support either, but it's not like the lazy assholes at Capcom ever were going to release a good hi-res 2D fighter for arcade anyway. :rolleyes:

Vampire Savior 3? Street Fighter 4? They were rumored and HIGHLY anticipated, but Capcom didn't care. Now that I think about it, screw 'em.
Capcom shut down its arcade division. But your earlier point you're right -- Capcom is still a major third party developer on basically every platform. If they were exclusive to Microsoft platforms, it would be a major change in the industry.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
They have to thow some money somewhere soon, so it could be Capcom. I can't see it though. Capcom are doing OK at the moment, and aren't under any pressure to sell up. Plus, they know that being bought out by MS would be a huge mistake.

Beyond having a cheaper price point than the PS3, there really isn't much to sell the 360 on now. They no longer have the monopoly with their XBOX Live system either.
Blue Dragon and Lost Odissey. oh yeah - RE5 and Lost Planet.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:

Last time I checked, Sony doesn't even have much of an online plan.

You really need to stop riding their dick.

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
hanafudaX said:

Really? Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Lost Planet, Mass Effect, and, um, oh yeah, that one game... whats it called again? Circle... circle... oh, HALO 3, all seem to disagree with you.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Which ones of these new Capcom are actually made by the Japanese Capcom? No one seems to be able to keep track of it anymore. Dead Rising sure as hell isn't. Lost Planet? Hell no. These aren't the real Capcom. Probably made by small American studios purchased by Capcom.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Neo Alec said:
Which ones of these new Capcom are actually made by the Japanese Capcom? No one seems to be able to keep track of it anymore. Dead Rising sure as hell isn't. Lost Planet? Hell no. These aren't the real Capcom. Probably made by small American studios purchased by Capcom.

The guy who created Mega Man was behind Dead Rising, possibly Lost Planet too. But I know he made Dead Rising.

EDIT: Yeah it's both of them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiji_Inafune

Last edited:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
How can you be indifferent to Microsoft's presence in the console market like that? They don't belong. You need to succeed in the Japanese market first.

:lolz:

how old are you, 12?

"They don't belong."

ahahahahaha

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
Geez, why don't you try playing them and come on back. "These aren't the real Capcom"?! You're better than this, man.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
not sonic said:
:lolz:

how old are you, 12?

"They don't belong."

ahahahahaha
Well what can I say? I remember a time when the game developers made the systems. Not PC software developers. Of course that time is behind us, but still Microsoft keeps making inferior products that don't sell in Japan. They should take a hint and quit targeting that market (I think they have given up, it's just that there's no reason to announce it).

I'm sorry, I totally assumed that Dead Rising was American when I played it (before I sold it -- I never sell games). It was fine, but it punishes the player too much. If it were Japanese, It'd expect it to be much less dissimilar to Resident Evil. Seems like a completely new company's take on the genre. Lost Planet just looks like what it is. If they were the Japanese Capcom, I'd assume we'd know who made them.

Last edited:

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Neo Alec said:
Well what can I say? I remember a time when the game developers made the systems.

That time ended when Sony came in.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
jp. said:
That time ended when Sony came in.
Yes. But I got used to it. As long as it's a big Japanese company, I'm fine with it now. We need a new Panasonic or a Sharp system now to step in. Microsoft doesn't belong in the console market -- they are a PC software maker that is getting in over its head with products like the Xbox and the Zune (which is going to be a miserable failure in the long run, by the way). Also, Nintendo should have made GameCube their last console. So that leaves us with only Sony. In my perfect world it'll be just big Japanese electronics companies making the system. I know that's silly, but the days of Sega vs. Nintendo vs. NEC are long gone too.

Someone's gotta do it, and right now I believe the wrong companies are in the game. Microsoft has no business in the console market, period. I only buy their systems because I get everything.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Apparently, only Japanese companies are supposed to succeed.
In the console market, yes. That's just me. I'm old-fashioned that way.

Microsoft's expectation to be greeted as liberators in Japan was just way too naive, and I saw it coming a mile away both times. In fact, it was downright arrogance on MS's part. You have to succeed there in order to get the right balance of developers in your camp, as Sony has been able to do all along. Microsoft simply does not understand the Japanese gamer consumer, and whether the Japanese gamers themselves are still relevant or not, the developers over there are, and it's generally a package deal.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I doubt that MS would buy Capcom, but you never know. I think it would be a mistake of near epic proportions for Capcom.

I'm buying an Xbox 360 when and if the game in my sig hits American shores (Culdcept Saga for those of you with sigs disabled). That is the only next gen system I plan on buying, and then only for that game.