Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I don't think it's that 'Star Wars isn't for me anymore'. I just felt this movie missed the mark and failed on most of its attempts at greatness. It was a pretty run of the mill sci-fi war story with a coating of Star Wars paint. There were some moments of greatness but far too many flaws for me to overlook.

I'd say it's still a better film than any of the prequels.

Not everything in the starwars universe has to have pirouetting backflipping jedis. Sorry man.

one gripe I had.
This movie tried to pain the rebels as terrorists that will do anything to achieve their goals, but it wasn't ruthless enough.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i got the terrorist vibe too. There were many moments that I didn't feel the empire was "the bad guys".
Anyways, I thought it was fantastic. There are def some plot points that are weak, but i was happy with the grittiness and darkness of it all.

The CG actors were clearly CG, but i thought it was done well.
Lots of Space battle, though the Tie Strikers are dumb.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
i got the terrorist vibe too. There were many moments that I didn't feel the empire was "the bad guys".
Anyways, I thought it was fantastic. There are def some plot points that are weak, but i was happy with the grittiness and darkness of it all.

The CG actors were clearly CG, but i thought it was done well.
Lots of Space battle, though the Tie Strikers are dumb.

I'm kind of mixed on that part. Part of me feels that to beat evil, you must sometimes do evil acts yourself. Glorifying terrorists as some story of good guys is also stupid. When you read the personal opinions of the film's writers, they've said some seriously shitty things that are rather anti-American...

In the end, I chose to ignore their stupid liberal bullshit and just enjoy another SW film...

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I'm kind of mixed on that part. Part of me feels that to beat evil, you must sometimes do evil acts yourself. Glorifying terrorists as some story of good guys is also stupid. When you read the personal opinions of the film's writers, they've said some seriously shitty things that are rather anti-American...

In the end, I chose to ignore their stupid liberal bullshit and just enjoy another SW film...
That's part of the whole Star Wars mantra though. The middle way. That good and evil are just part of life and one has to have both to be balanced.

It's what Anakin spent his whole life struggling for, it's what Luke learned midway through his training. It's what this movie shows as well. Sometimes to get what you want accomplished you have to do terrible things for the greater good. Balance, yin and yang, middle way. That's the religion that is the backbone of Star Wars.

I feel this movie captures that fully. It doesn't paint the empire as purely evil, black, dark, and grotesque. But as what most perceive as the norm. It shows them to be confused, searching for their place, filled with power, but not knowing what that can achieve, and while seemingly the "bad guy" they do look as though they employ an awful lot of folks all over the Galaxy. They are bad, or perceived to be. But they are a source of income for a lot of people, likely also have policies on everything from education, to parks, to sanitation, and beyond. To me it seems like the empire is the established norm.

And the rebellion are the anti establishment, wild guns. Many of them terrorists who fight for restoration of an old system, and a return to the way things were. Which based on their ages, some of them wouldn't remember the way things were before the galactic senate was voted into the hands of Palpatine. They use protests, bombings, raids, guerilla tactics, and other such campaigns to take out small bases and outposts. They're like the IRA was up here. They couldn't fight the English head on, they knew they didn't have the political establishment on their side so they took to bombs and bullets to try and make things happen. The English are still up the north, and a lot of the IRA are broken up, dead, or old. So we have people getting their hands dirty trying to remove a regime they believe to be dirty. But really both are dirty. And most of the Galaxy seems to just be innocent mugs caught in the middle.

And I think that's the whole point. Until all of the Jedi were dead, and all the sith gone there was no balance in the force. Until the entire empire is gone, and the first order too. And until the rebellion has disbanded. There is no balance in the Galaxy. Just dirt on both sides, and innocence trapped in the middle.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Not everything in the starwars universe has to have pirouetting backflipping jedis. Sorry man.

one gripe I had.
This movie tried to pain the rebels as terrorists that will do anything to achieve their goals, but it wasn't ruthless enough.

WTF does this statement even mean?

It might surprise you to know that I fucking hate the flippy Jedi shit.

The only thing worse than Yoda being a flippy Jedi with a laser sword is Leia and Chewie ignoring each other post-Han death. Yeah, I hate fightiing Yoda, and all flippy Jedi sword fights, more than Greedo shooting first (which is also terrible, by the way).

So why would you even make this assumption?

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
WTF does this statement even mean?

It might surprise you to know that I fucking hate the flippy Jedi shit.

The only thing worse than Yoda being a flippy Jedi with a laser sword is Leia and Chewie ignoring each other post-Han death. Yeah, I hate fightiing Yoda, and all flippy Jedi sword fights, more than Greedo shooting first (which is also terrible, by the way).

So why would you even make this assumption?

Ugg..the Yoda fight scenes, so freaking terrible. There's so much that is wrong with Episodes I-III...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I remember being 14 when Episode II came out and really, really liking the Yoda fight scene. When I was getting my teeth checked up at the dentist I talked with the hot dental assistant about it.

I never saw Episode II again after that. It's better that way.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
master roshi turning into a humongous mesomorph and nearly murdering his extraordinary child pupil at a casual karate tournament is cool. stupid yoda flipping around post-The Matrix (or ever) is gay and it was always gay and thats why they didn't have fucking Jim Henson choreographing sci-fi war sagas in the 1970s. I've never seen a CGI enhanced fight scene that looks good. Sorry fellas, Dark Crystal was the zenith of fantasy battle and war agony

Last edited:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Though the question comes to mind: how should yoda fight? If not jumpy, flippy, stuff; then how? Should he be slow, methodical, and not jumping? Just looking at his height to fight he'd need to be able to move quickly to tackle an opponent. I mean being a Jedi master, he's got to be able to fight with a light saber. So how should he have fought? should he have been like the emperor who just shoots lightning and sits around?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i don't know but all the modern cinematography in the world wouldn't make it a worthwhile consideration

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Though the question comes to mind: how should yoda fight? If not jumpy, flippy, stuff; then how? Should he be slow, methodical, and not jumping? Just looking at his height to fight he'd need to be able to move quickly to tackle an opponent. I mean being a Jedi master, he's got to be able to fight with a light saber. So how should he have fought? should he have been like the emperor who just shoots lightning and sits around?

Yeah...I imagined something like that. The Emperor evolved to a place where he really didn't need to be all fancy when he fought. Imagine Neo at the end of the Matrix, where he just stood there and calmly blocked the agent's never ending barrage of fists.

The psycho "fly all over the place" stupidity was basically a smoke and mirror show to hide the fact that Yoda was 100% CG. They just had him blur and fly all over so fast, you really couldn't see what was really going on.

Again...so much shit with Episode I-III...

This was the only good ting to come from that entire shit-show:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Clone_Wars_(2003_TV_series)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The answer is simple:

Yoda simply SHOULDN'T fight.

'Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter.'

In Empire, Yoda is the ultimate spiritual master. He should just be beyond fighting. And only twenty years have passed since Episode III. He should have LONG been past fighting. The character simply never should have been put in that situation.

Yoda is at his best when he's dishing wisdom. That is the only reason -the ONLY reason- the character has any gravitas in this series; little green dude with big spiritual ideas.

Star Wars is not real. It's a work of fiction. The writers should, therefore, never have written him into that situation. The series literally gains nothing from him fighting when there are so many other characters that can fill the action beats.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The answer is simple:

Yoda simply SHOULDN'T fight.

'Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter.'

In Empire, Yoda is the ultimate spiritual master. He should just be beyond fighting. And only twenty years have passed since Episode III. He should have LONG been past fighting. The character simply never should have been put in that situation.

Yoda is at his best when he's dishing wisdom. That is the only reason -the ONLY reason- the character has any gravitas in this series; little green dude with big spiritual ideas.

Star Wars is not real. It's a work of fiction. The writers should, therefore, never have written him into that situation. The series literally gains nothing from him fighting when there are so many other characters that can fill the action beats.

And this is why I'm finished with Ep I-III...I'll simply never watch them again. I know you don't like VII, but I do. If VII-IX turns out to be quality material, I'll have all the SW films I need to keep me happy. I-III literally serve no purpose and add nothing to the overall picture. All I needed to know about Anakin was described in Ep IV...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The series literally gains nothing from him fighting when there are so many other characters that can fill the action beats.

I mean, 30+ years from his introduction passed. It was kinda like Boba Fett, where the mystery makes the character. And now people got to see how badass Yoda was when he Jedi'd it up.

Other characters? No. At that point being a Jedi was a literal religion in the UK. The prequels were fanservice, nothing but fanservice and absolutely retarded nonsensical trade politics thrown in, nothing more. New characters to care about? There were none.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I mean, 30+ years from his introduction passed. It was kinda like Boba Fett, where the mystery makes the character. And now people got to see how badass Yoda was when he Jedi'd it up.

Other characters? No. At that point being a Jedi was a literal religion in the UK. The prequels were fanservice, nothing but fanservice and absolutely retarded nonsensical trade politics thrown in, nothing more. New characters to care about? There were none.

No shit...the most bad ass Jedi scene was Mace Windu wrecking an entire legion of robots in the Clone War (2003) animated film.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
From someone born in 87, Star Wars was always this thing that was worshipped, and I got that three tape gold VHS for my birthday in a Spanky's (themed restaurant). I guess, looking back, Shadows of the Empire was tits, and the movies were good, and I even remember seeing A NEW HOPE re-released in theaters but was I just playing along the whole time? I enjoyed it but not to the level of some fanatics with STAR WARS.

I even remember having that issues of STAR WARS INSIDER where Han Solo was ranked #2 in popularity polls to Boba Fett's #1.

It's a bit embarrassing remembering all these forgotten memories, to be honest.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
The clone wars were fun to watch but overall they just made the story worse I think. The Jedi look like a bunch of dumb fucks with their heads up their collective assess. All that about Yoda being wise, well he sure wasn't in that series, maybe he had enough time to look back on things by Empire to be wise but he was pretty blind to everything in the Clone Wars series.

The prequels didn't do anything to really improve the Star Wars universe, what they did was change some aspects of the overall story to the first three released movies, and not for the better for the most part. The special editions did pretty much the same thing just to a lesser scale. Sort of a test run to see how much shit could be fucked up.

Though the whole downhill run started with Jedi. As a kid I liked the movie, as an adult, it's hard to sit through.

I enjoy the first two movies but don't really care about any of the others. When I was a kid I was a huge fan, as I got older I lost interest. I'll still watch the originals from time to time though.

Fuck the Holiday special is more entertaining than 75% of the movies at this point.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
From someone born in 87, Star Wars was always this thing that was worshipped, and I got that three tape gold VHS for my birthday in a Spanky's (themed restaurant). I guess, looking back, Shadows of the Empire was tits, and the movies were good, and I even remember seeing A NEW HOPE re-released in theaters but was I just playing along the whole time? I enjoyed it but not to the level of some fanatics with STAR WARS.

I even remember having that issues of STAR WARS INSIDER where Han Solo was ranked #2 in popularity polls to Boba Fett's #1.

It's a bit embarrassing remembering all these forgotten memories, to be honest.

The three original films were a religion to me. By the mid/late 80's, I was old enough to have watched them many times over. Being completely broke, my parents would "rent" a VCR from the town library and every time they did, I'd get the entire trilogy and watch them all after everyone had gone to bed. I guess for a kid in the 80's, there wasn't much else out there that was close to SW.

I personally went cold on the series by the 90's. When the shit "special editions" came out mid 90s, I went and saw them all because I had never seen SW on the big screen. They were fucking disappointing with those god-awful mid 90s shit CG scenes added in. That was the first time I began to question my love for SW.

I was married by the time EP I came out...my wife and a bunch of my friends joined me to see it in the theater. I still remember the silence in the car when we left the theater. Completely shattered expectations.

I wouldn't get "excited" about another SW film until VII...and I wasn't let down. It isn't a masterpiece but for fucks sake, in comparison to the dumpster fire that was Ep I and the complete mental let down that happened after I saw it, VII was amazing.

The clone wars were fun to watch but overall they just made the story worse I think. The Jedi look like a bunch of dumb fucks with their heads up their collective assess. All that about Yoda being wise, well he sure wasn't in that series, maybe he had enough time to look back on things by Empire to be wise but he was pretty blind to everything in the Clone Wars series.

Honestly, this part didn't bother me much. The Jedi became complacent and arrogant, like any other governing body becomes over time. They didn't see the Sith rising because they were blinded by their own confidence.

I've said it before, I've always taken "balance" as equal zero, not good over evil. At the end of EP VI, no one had power anymore, not the Sith, not the Jedi...so what I considered to be balanced.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
And this is why I'm finished with Ep I-III...I'll simply never watch them again. I know you don't like VII, but I do. If VII-IX turns out to be quality material, I'll have all the SW films I need to keep me happy. I-III literally serve no purpose and add nothing to the overall picture. All I needed to know about Anakin was described in Ep IV...

Yes, as it stands right now, I am not a fan of TFA. But I may see shit in the next two that make me appreciate it more.

of course, I held out that same hope for each successive prequel and that didn't turn out so good. But this trilogy is not that trilogy and anything can happen, right?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Guys, want to know something despicable and atrocious about me???

When I was a kid I won FIRST place in a Halloween costume contest for dressing up as Yoda....despite the fact that I hadn't even seen a Star Wars movie at that point.

IN fact, I never did end up watching a Star Wars movie until I was in college sometime in the late 90s.

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
The emperor looked at light sabers like "ewws... Childs playthings" in episode 6, basically implying that they were a primitive crutch for the Jedi, and that the only reason why vader had one was because it was a holdover reminder of his former life. Why this was stated and then all the prequel stuff had sith with light sabers really ruined it for me. It's like Lucas completely forgot what was already written.

Additionally, Vader doesn't fight acrobatically because it's a wonder that French fry is even alive. Homeboy is in constant pain, and his scarring plus his robot limbs limit his mobility.

The flips and spins were added in by georgie-boy to get kids in and to sell toys, that's it.

This flick was a great, non-Jedi addition to the universe, and gave some depth to a story that has basically become the Skywalker Family Drama.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Guys, want to know something despicable and atrocious about me???

When I was a kid I won FIRST place in a Halloween costume contest for dressing up as Yoda....despite the fact that I hadn't even seen a Star Wars movie at that point.

IN fact, I never did end up watching a Star Wars movie until I was in college sometime in the late 90s.

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!

i played Augustus Gloop in a 4th grade Willy Wonka play

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
This flick was a great, non-Jedi addition to the universe, and gave some depth to a story that has basically become the Skywalker Family Drama.

It didn't BECOME the Skywalker Family Drama. That's how it began and that WAS the only story.