Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Dude.

Empire was the best one.

Oh I agree...which is why I hope to god they do not do a plot rehash as it would show this series is going to suffer the same uninspired fate as the dozens of other movies that come out every year.

I admit Rogue One looks more interesting than Episode 7, but it's going into an already known plot area. Will it be good? Unknown.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'll say this now...and possibly I'll eat my words come late 2017...but I cannot see how VIII will be a simple rehash of V. Again, if some plot elements are close, I don't really care.

I look forward to seeing Kylo Ren mature in his slide, and learning who his master really is. I look forward to the return of Luke, I hope there will be a more organic approach to the Jedi this time around. I look forward to Rey's maturing...I really like here character and have high hopes for her.

I'm luke warm concerning Po and Finn...we'll see where they go.

Like Episode IV-VI really being the focus on Darth Vader and his family line, the Skywalker blood line will continue to dominate these films and I'm ok with that. Like many others, I'm pretty darn sure Rey is of the bloodline. The New Order, the Empire, the Resistance...all are really just carries of the main story. New Order/Empire...both the same in my book.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
Watched this last night with some friends from work.

CG Grand Moff Tarkin was an abomination. He killed my immersion in the movie. I just sat there staring him, thinking WTF and could not get back into it. They might as well have brought out Jar Jar to dance alongside him and Vader. I don't consider myself some kind of autistic Star Wars Super fan. I love the original trilogy and the family thoroughly enjoyed The Force Awakens.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
saw it.

I'll save the spoilers, but this is the starwars movie that TFU should have been. It's the best one since Empire. Period.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Saw it this morning...it was definitely enjoyable. Like anything else, I have a few beefs, but overall it was very good. Just take in mind that this is a more "adult" film that moves at a slower pace and is darker and you'll be fine.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Saw it a second time. Normally I approach movies with a certain level of objectiveness the second time around, but I ended up getting sucked in again. It's pretty damn good.

I caught a few more nods to episode 4, but they're more subtle.

This is also the first star wars movie I've seen in theaters twice since the re-release of episode 4. It's that good.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Really enjoyed the film but was not expecting...

Spoiler:
basically everyone dies! What a great ride it was but as with Force Awakens and the prequels I don't see myself re-watching it ever again.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Just got home from it.

Really let down by it. Not impressed at all. And the worst part is that I can dread this sort of thing every year now.

Sorry, guys. Star Wars is the single biggest influence on my life. It's the reason I never wanted to grow up. My 7 year old self knew I would remain a child forever after seeing that film and is the reason I even care about nerd shit all these years later.

But I really hated this movie.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
saw it.

I'll save the spoilers, but this is the starwars movie that TFU should have been. It's the best one since Empire. Period.
You're the only one talking sense in this thread. This has crept up out of nowhere and knocked return of the Jedi out of the top three for me. (Let's face it, after the re-edits, Jedi had become low hanging fruit) a great movie, a good story, and ties in just nicely between 3 and 4. If anything enhances 3.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Just got home from it.

Really let down by it. Not impressed at all. And the worst part is that I can dread this sort of thing every year now.

Sorry, guys. Star Wars is the single biggest influence on my life. It's the reason I never wanted to grow up. My 7 year old self knew I would remain a child forever after seeing that film and is the reason I even care about nerd shit all these years later.

But I really hated this movie.

I'm saying this in all sincerity...perhaps SW movies just aren't for you anymore. When I landed up despising nearly all modern games, it dawned on me that it wasn't that all new games were shit, I just moved on. I had changed.

Most people, including myself like these new films. I'm not saying I adore them, nor am I saying that they're masterpieces, but compared to the 100% shit fest that was Ep I-III, these are "masterpieces".

Really enjoyed the film but was not expecting...

Spoiler:
basically everyone dies! What a great ride it was but as with Force Awakens and the prequels I don't see myself re-watching it ever again.

Spoiler:
I have to say, I really didn't see that one coming. Honestly, I really like it. It gave real meaning to the actions of the rebels and how much sacrifice was made so that Luke could take that one shot.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
From what I'm seeing elsewhere (and in this thread), it's polarizing like TFA. I didn't like TFA so I'm not sure if I want to see this.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I watched it this afternoon, and i gotta say it ticked all the box's for me, excellent stuff.
I'd go along with lemony vengence, it's the best one since empire strikes back.
I thought the cgi grand moff tarkin was alright myself and vader is a real badass.
I'll not give any plot spoilers as i don't want to spoil the film for people who haven't seen it.
If your a star wars fan i'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'm saying this in all sincerity...perhaps SW movies just aren't for you anymore. When I landed up despising nearly all modern games, it dawned on me that it wasn't that all new games were shit, I just moved on. I had changed.

Most people, including myself like these new films. I'm not saying I adore them, nor am I saying that they're masterpieces, but compared to the 100% shit fest that was Ep I-III, these are "masterpieces".

Spoiler:
I have to say, I really didn't see that one coming. Honestly, I really like it. It gave real meaning to the actions of the rebels and how much sacrifice was made so that Luke could take that one shot.

Spoiler:
I was genuinely shocked because they introduced some great characters only to coldly wipe them out. Now the shock's worn off, I think I like it even more and will rewatch at some point.

Also agree that if you're a SW fan and don't like these new films, maybe you're the problem, not the movies. A lot of TLC, thought and effort was put into these. Lem was right - such a vast improvement over I-III, IDK about ROTJ though. Anyway, if they can maintain this level of quality, let alone improve, I will happily go see a new SW movie every year until I die.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I got a soft spot for the director gareth edwards as well.
I've seen monsters, the godzilla reboot he did and this one, and i've enjoyed all 3.
He's a talented guy.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I agree with the idea that I'm not the target audience for these movies.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member

I don't think it's that 'Star Wars isn't for me anymore'. I just felt this movie missed the mark and failed on most of its attempts at greatness. It was a pretty run of the mill sci-fi war story with a coating of Star Wars paint. There were some moments of greatness but far too many flaws for me to overlook.

I'd say it's still a better film than any of the prequels.