Road to Euro 2012 (Poland/Ukraine)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
expect England to start out poorly and worsen over time

It is looking worse and worse with the injuries, however, I am thinking the injuries are fabricated as the FA is forcing Hodgeson to actually think about his squad selection, instead of playing PES 2007 and making his selection from there.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
im not a ManU/Ferdinand fan at all but even i believe he needs to be picked now...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hey hey, finally Euro 2012 will start on friday!! :)

The opening match (Group A) will be Poland - Greece (6 pm CET, Warsaw), followed by Russia - Czech Rep (same day, 8:45 pm CET, Breslau).

The remaining first group matches are:

- 06/09

Group B

Netherlands - Denmark (6 pm CET, Charkiv)

Germany - Portugal (8:45 pm CET, Lvov)

- 06/10

Group C

Spain - Italy (6 pm CET, Gdańsk)

Ireland - Croatia (8:45 pm CET, Poznań)

- 06/11

Group D

France - England (6 pm CET, Donetsk)

Ukraine - Sweden (8:45 pm CET, Kiev)

Bring it on!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Wow, that's such a good opening weekend. Seriously good games.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
right here this is why ive always preferred Euros to the World Cup.

Euros are right down to business - there is no easy game for any team - and its not the spectacle that the World Cup is.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yup, this will be a first-class footie weekend, really looking forward to it.

Who will be Euro 2012 winner? Place your bets, Gentlemen! :)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Portugal will beat Germany. No offense, but they are in a good place right now and I agree with the pundits saying that this is a good opening match for the Portuguese.

France will extend its unbeaten streak.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
The Germans will smash Portugal 3-0

France will draw with England 1-1

Spain will beat Italy in a borefest of a match 1-0

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
We're not in the best shape at the moment, that's for sure. My gut feeling for the match come Saturday vs Portugal is still positive, though.

A second place in group B after the play-offs would be quite comfortable for us, then we'd probably play against Russia or the Czechs which are both doable. Spain (group C) will win the group phase and there's a good chance for France (D) and the Netherlands (B) to win theirs as well. Spain then will play against the second place of group D, perhaps England, and beat them. Netherlands will play either the Czechs or Russia and come out first. Then we'd face Spain in the semis (and probably lose). In short, we may see a finale Spain - France or Spain - Netherlands. I would want the Dutch to get the cup but if I had to put my money on it, I'd most probably opt for Spain.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
ive always felt portugal to be overrated with lots of expectations resting on their shoulders. Euro 2012 is no exception

no question they have the talent but they've never been able to put it together as a national team. Recall that they barely scraped through the last 16 also

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Okay, the Poland - Greece match is on (1:0, half-time).

...and Euro 2k12 starts with a series of bad ref decisions, just like back in 2010. What's wrong with those guys?!

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
2 red cards in the first game. oh dear

looks like the tone of the tournament has been set.

Greece played well. Once the crowd went out of the game Poland played like shit. The greeks were unlucky not to win the match.

Im enjoying the tournament so far. This weekends games are gonna be awesome

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
ive always felt portugal to be overrated with lots of expectations resting on their shoulders. Euro 2012 is no exception

Remember that in 2004 they did make it to the finals against a scrappy Greece team that wasn't supposed to win.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Russia had a good day, the Czechs, well, not so much. It's kinda sad to see them in such a bad shape after the golden years of 2002 - 2004... ah well.

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
Portugal will beat Germany. No offense, but they are in a good place right now and I agree with the pundits saying that this is a good opening match for the Portuguese.

France will extend its unbeaten streak.

hummm, I'm not so positive, although if portuguese players do their best they might put Germany into some troubles.

That loss against Turkey one week ago is still in mind, mainly the defense troubles. There has been again some backstage critics regarding too much show off (public parades before flying to Poland and so on - Ronaldo did try to overrule that yesterday but it's not easy).

On the other side there's also an overall deep feeling that portuguese team can actually beat our fellow germans. Tricky point is that our strikers/forwards are not over the top players (Postiga can score amazingly though we never know when it happens) and C Ronaldo somehow misses the target when he plays for his home country. He need to score in order to believe he has it. Mourinho is already in the city where the game will take place, so it might allure players to push hard, as he's been eyed to coach the team in the future.

I think this game will be crucial for both teams. Winner will take momentum for the rest of the group games, and loser will be in deep trouble as it might be punished till the last match. A draw won't be bad but it will put a lot of pressure in the following games.

Looking for a good game and crossing fingers for my team. For german mates around here we'll be tuning the same screen latter on. :) Besides the final result I hope it will be a fine and fair match from a welcome and great opponent.

For the time being I still can't predict a cup winner. Too early. After the first round we might have a glimpse on the teams that might have a word to say.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Current match (6:34 pm CET): Netherlands - Denmark, and the Danes are in the lead with 0:1!

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Van Persie - scores when he wants, except at Euro 2012

so far Holland have played like I expected them to. Ie lots of possession, but not converting chances and defending like shit

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Van Persie - scores when he wants, except at Euro 2012

so far Holland have played like I expected them to. Ie lots of possession, but not converting chances and defending like shit

I can't believe Rommedahl is still playing. He doesn't age.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Not only that, he also still got it.

I really like the Danish game, surprisingly compact and quite well organized.