Retro Gamer magazine's terrible Metal Slug feature --reviewed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aria

Former Moderator
Wow, five pages? Nice.

Okay… after reading Stuart Campbell’s original article, I wouldn’t have expected a professional, adult response, and I see I was correct.

Since this obviously got under his skin (enough that he’s replied no less than 25 times in this thread), I’ll take a look at his initial response (way back on page one).

Here’s a running theme to notice in his response: he zeros in on a handful of items (not successfully refuting them, as will be soon evident), mostly because he can’t really answer for how terrible the article was.

Hello idiots!

A fine way to kick it off –a minor writer from England coming into a web forum to pick an argument. Let’s see how those arguments hold water:

Or, if you'd done YOUR research properly, you'd know that that's a running joke that appears in lots of the Definitive features - the "comment from the editor" is in fact written by me. Even if you were reading RG for the first time and didn't know about its running jokes, though, you'd have to be epically stupid to think that the magazine would correct the "mistake" in such a way, rather than just change the text. (Or that they'd hire someone who didn't know the difference between Metal Slug and Metal Gear Solid in the first place.) I mean, Jesus, seriously? You're THAT dim? How do you get out of bed in the morning without locking yourself in the wardrobe?

Amidst the personal attacks (a professional response to criticism, no doubt), we find his central argument is that the error was a “joke”. Okay, then why did so many of the readers here miss the joke? Answer: poor writing. Poor writing that was prevalent throughout the article. I’m sure Mr. Campbell isn’t always a poor writer (how else would he keep getting assignments in retro gaming magazines), but from the quality of the article in question, this time he was overpaid.

Where have you dreamed up this fantasy from? Where does the feature say anything like that? If English isn't your first language then it's understandable you might misinterpret some things, but if that's the case then you should probably shut up rather than bitterly attack people over things YOU'VE misunderstood. If English IS your first language, then God knows how you've arrived at such a bizarre conclusion. The feature at NO POINT suggests any such thing.

Awesome, now he tossed in some curious insults about my ability to speak English. Must be the sort of Englishman who uses the term “Paki” in everyday conversation, but moving on to what he actually says:
Campbell claims he never meant to imply the game had been aimed at the Neo Geo CD. Yet, reading his section on Metal Slug, completely dominated by a discussion of the CD, you’re left with the implication. What’s the answer? Poor writing.

Actually I'm 41, I've been writing professionally about videogames for 20 years, and I've very likely been playing videogames since before you were born, son. The Definitive series isn't intended to be about what influenced Game X, it's about the ludography of Game X.

This was Mr. Campbell’s response to why he didn’t write a word on what Metal Slug was actually about before spending his entire section discussing the CD version. As you can see, he doesn’t actually answer anything; rather he says this isn’t about what “influenced” the game. My comment never said he should cover what “influenced” the game, it was pointing out he never described the actual game. You can add poor reading skill to the already evident writing skills.

Side note: I don’t think I could have ever made a more damaging argument than his own statement that he’s 41… and writing like this… and picking fights on “teh interwebs”… What a wondrous career we weave, when to one’s own writing ability we self deceive.

So, if Mr. Campbell is reading this (har-har, gee I wonder?), yes –you are older than me. You’re a 41 year old video game writer who can’t write very well, I’m a 29 year old attorney with a solid career. Shall we start wielding our e-dicks? You probably don’t want to with me.

Er, the intro page does exactly that. Did you bother to read it at all? Let me quote it back to you.

[block quote]

A bit more than a paragraph, in fact, clearly detailing the reasons for Metal Slug being a hit.

Here he claims he never needed to write about the original Metal Slug in its own section because the intro section actually talks about what made the game interesting and successful. Nice defense if he actually had done so, but alas all the introduction contains is a half-baked “my first time seeing the game” story and a few generic sentences that amount to: “[. . .] was this really an old-school SNES-style 2D platform shooter?” (okay, that’s a vague description of the genre) and, a paragraph later: “Compared to anything else that was in arcades in 1996, Metal Slug was like Robotron – an exhilarating non-stop bloodbath with beautiful pixel art and a sense of humor. (More accurately, it was the arcade equivalent of Treasure’s 1993 Mega Drive masterpiece Gunstar Heroes.)” Good introduction to the series, not a very good description of the actual game. There’s a logical leap he makes, but doesn’t write out on paper, that people who read the article are familiar with the game and storyline, so he never takes anytime to do that –in fact, the closest he comes to describing the story is the poorly written “joke” about Metal Gear.

So what’s present in the introduction doesn’t do a good job of describing the original Metal Slug. Chalk that one up to poor organization, poor logic and our running theme, poor writing.

That's not poor research, that's not bothering to waste words telling people things they already know (and which aren't relevant to the feature's purpose in any case). Nazca's name appears on the title screen, for God's sake. Anyone who can read knows who made it.

Mr. Campbell states that no one reading an article about Metal Slug would care who developed it. Yet in the same article he shows people do care by not just calling out Gunstar Heroes, but “Treasure’s” Gunstar Heroes. He backpedals into the reference to the title screen having the developer name (well… duh.), and moves on. If its not poor research, then its… poor writing.

And on and on it goes. You evidently don't know what The Definitive is about, yet feel able to launch into outraged and offensive criticism and personal abuse anyway. The purpose of the series is to tell people about every game in a particular videogame franchise, including obscure ones they might not know about, and tell them about interesting variations in ports and the like. It is NOT supposed to be the complete history of Metal Slug, discussing the development of the game, its influences, its plotline or what its coders had for breakfast the day they started it. RG has a completely different feature-thread for that, called The Complete History Of. Clear?

This paragraph didn’t introduce anything new; it only attempts to cover for his lousy introduction to the original game. He doesn’t mention that my own introduction stated that these articles “covervarious games in a major game series”.

Humorously (though not intended on his part), Mr. Campbell claims my criticism was “personal abuse”. I can only assume he hasn’t received many professional criticisms in his life (there isn’t a whole lot of focus on the emerging field of game journalism, so that’s quite believable), or he has no idea what professional criticism is –my comments address how poorly put together his supposedly professional work is. As for a definition of a personal abuse, well, see how he conducts his own response... it tells you a lot about the sort of circles he’s used to running in.

What on Earth are you dribbling about, tiresome child? The mention acknowledges the existence. There is nothing unusual or interesting in gameplay terms about the Saturn version, so it doesn't get any specific coverage.

Its at this exact point you know for certain that Mr. Campbell doesn’t have strong arguments: I point out that they forgot to put the Saturn version under any section head (as they do parenthetically), he tried to move to the side and answer something else. I ask “what’s the 3+3”, he answers “pear”.

[Side note for older members: hearing echoes of Dion, anyone?]

Because nobody except dull obsessive nerds gives a rat's arse about it. Most people don't even notice, and expect games of that era to slow down at busy points anyway.
Let’s be clear that I raised the suspicion that Mr. Campbell didn’t use any home/MVS carts in his “research”, and this dismissal of the massive slowdown in 2 only reinforces that. I think any lay gamer would notice it pretty quick –especially if you look back to when it first arrived, costing $200+ on a $600+ video game system. Slowdown was huge, and relevant to the time, and something that was missed in poor research and… poor writing.

I didn't imply any such thing. I mention the additions on the PS port because - much as I hate to repeat myself - that's the purpose of the Definitive features. The Definitive is concerned with how the PS1 version differs from the original. If it doesn't differ, it doesn't get an entry. If it has substantial changes, omissions or additions, it does. Are you getting it yet?
A great example of selective quoting: it took me a few seconds to figure out what he was quoting, but we’re now talking about X. I had observed, in the much larger paragraph he quoted from, that the shoddy work on Metal Slug 2 had rolled into a undercooked section with an incomplete description of X and then a very thick description of the PS1 version. He replies with “The Definitive is concerned with how the PS1 version differs from the original. If it doesn't differ, it doesn't get an entry.” As anyone who’d read the section would’ve concluded, it might as well have been solely about the PS1 version –going back to the suspicion that it was the only version he actually played. If that’s an incorrect assumption, it’s poor writing.

I'm perfectly well aware of those things, but since people can't play them there's very little point in mentioning them. It seems your main gripe is that the feature wasn't 16 pages long, which it would have had to be to include all the stuff you're dribbling on about, none of which is very interesting and which most people already know anyway.
Given how inadequately short his game descriptions tended to be, Mr. Campbell’s argument that he can’t possibly include lines like “the game was developed by Nazca”; “Nazca was bought by SNK”; “MSX was noticeably half-finished, with inaccessibly levels programmed in”; etc. is disingenuous and rather embarrassing. Instead we have whole extra paragraphs that only expand on MSX’s PS1 extras. This is “poor [a lot of things]”.

I didn't say the first boss was hard, I said it was hateful. It's tedious and repetitive and unenjoyable. Please have the courtesy to restrict your criticism to things I actually said, rather than things you've totally imagined.

You have to love this quote. In essence, he’s saying an inanimate level one boss is “hateful”, “deserving of or arousing hate”. He says this had nothing to do with being difficult. This assumes we’re operating in a vacuum, and not reading his entire opinion: Considering his earlier comments, in MS2, about how horrible the (wholly optional) mummy/fat traps were as well as references to the later zombie traps (revealing he was getting shot a lot), and his rants about the MS3 being a “joyless chore” and “tedious”, we get a strong view that Mr. Campbell has a hard time with Metal Slug, and 3 got a tad too difficult for him. So did he say hard? No. Did O.J. need to say “I did it?”

Ha ha ha. Do please share with us your authoritative source for these "definitions". Let me help you out with the first definition of "reporter" from Encarta:
"somebody whose job is to find out facts and use the print or broadcast media to tell people about them"

...which is precisely what the feature does. The same source lists "journalist" as:

"a writer or editor for a newspaper or magazine or for television or radio"

...which is of course also entirely accurate.

(Honestly, I didn’t even realize people still had Encarta, but that’s a side note of no relevance, just an echo to when I was much younger)

When I wrote columns, I was separate from the newsroom. The reason is obvious: the editorial section, of which the columnists were a part, are about opinion –not reporting facts. The reason a lot of professional organizations keep them separate (though not so much in the UK papers, which I should acknowledge, other than solid papers such as FT), is that –by combining fact-finding reporter/journalism with opinion writing—you can end up with poorly written articles like Mr. Campbell’s. Perhaps this blurry line at most UK papers versus their US counterparts plays some part here, but I think we can all agree that a journalist/columnist is one who reports accurately can write well.

[Good lord, this got too long and I hit the post size limit...Continued in the next post]

aria

Former Moderator
[Continued from the previous post]

My sang-froid has to take a momentary back seat here, as I have to suggest that you go fuck yourself, you pompous, arrogant, stupid little prick. The Definitive Metal Slug took over a week of non-stop work, including playing every game through to the end several times, and the feature was very well-received by readers of the magazine. It fulfils its commissioned brief completely, and the fact that you might personally have wanted an entirely different type of feature about Metal Slug is really neither here nor there. Your unwarranted insults, ignorance of the basic facts and gratuitous stupidity certainly don't make me wish I'd done anything different.

Given how poorly written his little response was, I actually believe that it took Mr. Campbell over a week to put together the terrifically bad article that was in Retro Gamer. Its interesting that he believes that no one here, and I know a number of you pick up the mag regularly, are “readers of the magazine”.

Love and kisses,
Stu.

This may have very well been the most embarrassing post by any 41 year old I know. From what I can tell, Mr. Campbell is used to responding to people he assumes are much younger than he is (even when he’s writing about games that are over 10 years old). From his response, you can also assume he’s used to just throwing out some quickly jotted down (or possibly sat down and thought out, who knows…) points to either troll or try and make the other side back off because he’s had some sort of career in this. Well, clearly he’s not all that good at what he does –and, since I’m not a person that into the “scene” he must be in, all I see is someone who isn’t very good at what he claims to be good at. But I give Mr. Campbell kudos for getting so “far” with so little. I’d like to think game journalism has been getting better, what with its inclusion in media such as the The New York Times and others, so perhaps its passed him by.

So, to summarize Mr. Campbell’s argument (with its lack of solid points), we’re left with: “You suck”. Considering I broke it down to two words, I think we can (again) blame it on poor writing.

I can’t wait to read the rest of this thread past his response.

You're very lucky to have read it, as it seems to have vanished from the site.

I am nothing to do with Retro Gamer, and have never written for them. My only interests are in people making reasonable discourse. I find fora a fascinating petri dish of repeated patterns of behaviour, and am often interested to learn whether people will change their behaviours when they're observed. (They never do, of course.)

For instance, you of course did not address my point at all. You said that Bobak could have expressed himself better, call him a name, but you do not say whether you level the same criticisms against him as you do Stuart. Instead, impressively, you state that you don't care. Which, well, is obviously an enormous cop-out, but an expected one. You obfuscated, and avoided.

It's also interesting that you perceive that I am defending Stuart. I am not at all. I am simply asking for people to be honest. I respect Stuart's rudeness far more than the insidious, libellous outpourings of your King, but this does not translate to a defence.

I think you're muddling two definitions of "professional", but I can't tell if you're doing it on purpose to be facetious, or if you're genuinely confused. A teacher is considered a "professional" whether they behave in a manner deemed unprofessional or not.

I'm far more confused by your response to my comments about hypocrisy. I gave some splendid examples to demonstrate why stating that one has been offended, and going on to be offensive, is not hypocritical. It really doesn't make sense that you conflate the two. If Stuart had said, "No one should write insults on a forum, and you're all cockfaces," then you could argue this was hypocritical. However, if I observe that you are being deliberately stupid about this particular subject, and then go on to be stupid myself, I have not been a hypocrite. I have accurately identified that you are being stupid, because obviously you are, and then I've gone on to do a stupid thing. I haven't, of course - I'm far too clever and erudite. I repeat: If I observe that someone is eating, and then eat a sandwich, this isn't hypocritical, it's joining in.

But really, if you use a screen name that means "poo", being annoyed that someone may call attention to this when you're being a twit seems a little self-defeating.

Love you.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I actually believe Stu was making a joke with the whole "Liquid Ocelot" thing. I just can't imagine someone making that mistake, thinking the two series (MS and MGS) are some how related. So while the rest of the article may have been poorly written (haven't read it personally), I have to disagree with you on that part Bobak. Perhaps if you didn't know who the character Liquid Ocelot was and had to look it up then maybe you could mistake it for an error on the writers part.

Now, was it a funny joke? Not really. But thats not really the point.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I actually believe Stu was making a joke with the whole "Liquid Ocelot" thing. I just can't imagine someone making that mistake, thinking the two series (MS and MGS) are some how related. So while the rest of the article may have been poorly written (haven't read it personally), I have to disagree with you on that part Bobak. Perhaps if you didn't know who the character Liquid Ocelot was and had to look it up then maybe you could mistake it for an error on the writers part.

Now, was it a funny joke? Not really. But thats not really the point.

It is kind of the point if the point is he isn't a very good writer. If you're going to be sarcastic and put in a joke, make sure its funny.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
You're very lucky to have read it, as it seems to have vanished from the site.

I am nothing to do with Retro Gamer, and have never written for them. My only interests are in people making reasonable discourse. I find fora a fascinating petri dish of repeated patterns of behaviour, and am often interested to learn whether people will change their behaviours when they're observed. (They never do, of course.)

For instance, you of course did not address my point at all. You said that Bobak could have expressed himself better, call him a name, but you do not say whether you level the same criticisms against him as you do Stuart. Instead, impressively, you state that you don't care. Which, well, is obviously an enormous cop-out, but an expected one. You obfuscated, and avoided.

It's also interesting that you perceive that I am defending Stuart. I am not at all. I am simply asking for people to be honest. I respect Stuart's rudeness far more than the insidious, libellous outpourings of your King, but this does not translate to a defence.

I think you're muddling two definitions of "professional", but I can't tell if you're doing it on purpose to be facetious, or if you're genuinely confused. A teacher is considered a "professional" whether they behave in a manner deemed unprofessional or not.

I'm far more confused by your response to my comments about hypocrisy. I gave some splendid examples to demonstrate why stating that one has been offended, and going on to be offensive, is not hypocritical. It really doesn't make sense that you conflate the two. If Stuart had said, "No one should write insults on a forum, and you're all cockfaces," then you could argue this was hypocritical. However, if I observe that you are being deliberately stupid about this particular subject, and then go on to be stupid myself, I have not been a hypocrite. I have accurately identified that you are being stupid, because obviously you are, and then I've gone on to do a stupid thing. I haven't, of course - I'm far too clever and erudite. I repeat: If I observe that someone is eating, and then eat a sandwich, this isn't hypocritical, it's joining in.

But really, if you use a screen name that means "poo", being annoyed that someone may call attention to this when you're being a twit seems a little self-defeating.

Love you.

Xzibit_verbose.jpg

As it was deleted before, surely by mistake, I shall repost the final part of what I'd previously written, as it seems to meet some of Bobak's lunatic dribbling:

Stupid, lazy nonsense:

Anyone who starts blabbering on about how something should be "objective" should be sealed in a shit-filled metal box and fired into the sun. This is only ever said when the author really means, "I don't think he should have a different opinion from mine." I guarantee that if Stuart had written a piece feverishly wanking all over MS3 and slating 7, not one single of the petulant toss-sticks bleating about "objectivity" would have said a word. Would you? It's odd how complaints about subjectivity magically go away when they concur with the position. A thousand flowers to anyone honest enough to admit it.

And those who just obsessively focus on the bit where you get told you're being stupid, and ignore the 95% of the post where the person asks you to make reasonable arguments for claims: you're being stupid. Ooh, how gleefully self-referential.

What I suggest, and I suggest this like a man suggests to the wind that it write a book about kittens, is that those so excitedly leaping in to get cross go back and read the original post and notice where Bobak was being extremely offensive. It's not the same kind of offensive as being told to fuck off. It's a worse, more insidious, more damaging kind.

And now he's madly calling Stuart a racist! What a charmer.

With all possible respect.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
What I suggest, and I suggest this like a man suggests to the wind that it write a book about kittens, is that those so excitedly leaping in to get cross go back and read the original post and notice where Bobak was being extremely offensive. It's not the same kind of offensive as being told to fuck off. It's a worse, more insidious, more damaging kind.

Man, am I glad you posted this again.

You're exactly right Sam: being told to "fuck off" is completely different from being criticized about poor quality work. Professional criticism isn't insidious or damaging...it means that you didn't do your profession any credit and here's why. It's only "insidious" and "damaging" if you're a crybaby manchild who takes all criticism as personal criticism instead of fixing your shoddy work.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Hm, if you would spend more than 5 minutes with your ethnographical study of Neo-Geo.com forumites, you would know that Metal Slug 3 is probably the most polarizing game in the series.

To me, if it weren't for how truly God awful the follow ups were, 3 would be dead last in my book. For other people, it is an epic masterpiece.

Besides all this anyway, half the people in here if not more have not even read the article and are withholding judgement, but due to the way this guy came in here to "defend" his work, I (and probably others) will not really go out and find this magazine in an effort to prove him right.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Why would I level the same criticism at Bobak? He's not a "professional games journalist," nor do I expect him to be. He is, for all intents and purposes, a layperson. He is not representative of a "respected publication." You wanted honesty, and I gave you honesty. I don't particularly care what Bobak says or does. It's of no concern to me. He, like the blinding majority of the human race, could die in the next twelve seconds and it would have no impact on me or my life whatsoever.

And you're being deliberately obtuse, as well. One can be a professional writer and still not "be professional." There's an article there that makes all the difference in the world. Stuart claimed to be a "professional," in that he wrote about games for a living, and that somehow made him better, or at least, more of an authority in this context. His behavior today has shown that, regardless of who's signing his paychecks, he's highly unprofessional, regardless of what he may claim... in addition to being a poor writer, if his posts are any indication.

I'm far too clever and erudite.
And here's where I suspect you're just having me on. Your argument about hypocrisy is specious, at best. A feeble defense of immature behavior, at worst.

As for the screen name, the word has multiple meanings... the one you choose to associate only tells me that, for all your vocabulary, you're just as immature as anyone else who takes the easy bait.

Anyone who starts blabbering on about how something should be "objective" should be sealed in a shit-filled metal box and fired into the sun.
Very eloquent. This really supports your argument.

Would you? It's odd how complaints about subjectivity magically go away when they concur with the position. A thousand flowers to anyone honest enough to admit it.
Give me my flowers. But seriously, you should know well enough that to call what is basically a linked batch of reviews "definitive" is, at best, inaccurate. Again, I don't care about the series itself. I've never even played the games past 3, which I played only a few minutes of. But this isn't about the games anymore. It's really just about Stuart being an immature jerkoff, when someone his age really should know better.

Last edited:
KanYozakura - No sweetiepie, if what Lord Bobak had done was criticise Stuart's article based on what he'd written, of course it wouldn't be insidious and damaging. But he didn't do that. He made statements that the article was written without proper research, was unprofessional, and constantly suggested that the piece was dishonest. Statements that appear to be wholly untrue.

Do fuck off.

lithy

20 Year Member
Statements that appear to be wholly untrue.

Based on what evidence?

In any case, quit replying to Kan, he's a retard, no one here really likes him. He's king of the forum bandwagon.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
KanYozakura - No sweetiepie, if what Lord Bobak had done was criticise Stuart's article based on what he'd written, of course it wouldn't be insidious and damaging. But he didn't do that. He made statements that the article was written without proper research, was unprofessional, and constantly suggested that the piece was dishonest. Statements that appear to be wholly untrue.

Do fuck off.

But he didn't do proper research, the piece was dishonest, and judging by his conduct on these forums, Stuart is as unprofessional as they come. :)

And you're being deliberately obtuse, as well. One can be a professional writer and still not "be professional." There's an article there that makes all the difference in the world. Stuart claimed to be a "professional," in that he wrote about games for a living, and that somehow made him better, or at least, more of an authority in this context. His behavior today has shown that, regardless of who's signing his paychecks, he's highly unprofessional, regardless of what he may claim... in addition to being a poor writer, if his posts are any indication.

You did it again! You explained the two different meanings, and then you conflated them again! Good heavens, I don't even want to defend Stuart - he is more than capable of doing that himself. I just want to have an argument on a forum for an evening. His being a writer for his profession is not altered by his being unprofessional! He explained, as you say, that he's a professional writer (writing is his profession) and you then once more say that his behaviour alters that! I haven't seen him claim that his conduct isn't unprofessional anywhere, so what claims is it regardless of?

Also, I really haven't seen anything he's written in this thread that demonstrates he's a poor writer. He seems quite capable of putting together a decent sentence, and he's made me laugh with his timing a few times.

And here's where I suspect you're just having me on. Your argument is specious, at best.

My argument about hypocrisy is not specious at all - I think it's pretty flawless. But your simply calling it specious and not stating why might more deserve the word. I don't think you can refute my point that hypocrisy requires him to have at least said that people shouldn't be insulting. And my "stupid" analogy was really very good. I think you should at least compliment me on how cleverly I called you stupid.

As for the screen name, the word has multiple meanings... the one you choose to associate only tells me that, for all your vocabulary, you're just as immature as anyone else who takes the easy bait.

I'm quite astonishingly immature. And let's be fair, I only threw the "aptly named" in there as a quick aside. I might have been referring to how you're very much like a tennis match at 40-40... No, you're right, I could only have meant poo.

Pee poo bum willy.

Based on what evidence?

In any case, quit replying to Kan, he's a retard, no one here really likes him. He's king of the forum bandwagon.
I was basing it on the evidence from the editor of Retro Gamer, mostly. And then quite a hell of a lot on how Bobak has still not managed to point out a factual error in the article, but rather blathered on about the Micro GEN X60 -D version getting seven too few words or something.

I've not read the article, because I think Metal Slug is {please choose what would most offend: RUBBISH/FOR GIRLS/MADE OF WEE/TOO DIFFICULT/SO OLD/NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS (game you like less)}.

Hugs.

Last edited:

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Holy shit, 22 people (10 guests) viewing this page. I never seen so much interest/action in one thread before. This is truly NG.com at its best AND worst, lol.

And damn @ Bobak's reply top of this page. LOL. I only read half of it, but the half I read he is well articulated.

Stu, if I were you I'd cut my losses short and bow out here. I hope you're not one of those "gotta have the last word/say" kind of guys, because seriously, you have painted a pretty nasty picture of yourself, and by association, TO A SMALL DEGREE, the magazine itself in which you are a regular contributor (freelancer or not, there's still a code of honor you should professionally uphold).

This is one of those topics that could destroy a writer's reputation... hopefully not Retro Gamer magazine itself, but with so many guests viewing it, and given the fact that it's now a part of NG history... this could be one of those legendary threads passed on and discussed weeks, months, even years from now whenever RG Mag or Stuart Campbell the writer is brought up. I have personally never seen, first-hand, a "professional" react so IMMATURELY and unprofessionally in such a public manner as this over and over again (in this case, post after post). It's rather baffling when you think about it! 41 years old? Seems more like 14, to be frank.

lithy

20 Year Member
I was basing it on the evidence from the editor of Retro Gamer, mostly. And then quite a hell of a lot on how Bobak has still not managed to point out a factual error in the article, but rather blathered on about the Micro GEN X60 -D version getting seven too few words or something.

I've not read the article, because I think Metal Slug is {please choose what would most offend: RUBBISH/FOR GIRLS/MADE OF WEE/TOO DIFFICULT/SO OLD/NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS (game you like less)}.

Hugs.

How about we start with the fact that Stuart claimed there was a zombie mode in Metal Slug 2 for a start of alleged factual problems? We could continue on and say that the editor made a note that Stuart is thorough with his research and suggests that he never misses an iteration of a game. So the Saturn and MVS omissions might need to get covered.

You are quite amusing with your cute sign-offs and intent to rile everyone up, but honestly some of us are looking for a decent conversation. Something which the handful of carryovers from the RG board have yet to provide. Instead we just get circular reasoning and a dumbstruck look when Deuce suggests that you can be a professional in the sense that you get paid for your work and at the same time be ridiculously unprofessional in your demeanor.

How about we start with the fact that Stuart claimed there was a zombie mode in Metal Slug 2 for a start of alleged factual problems? We could continue on and say that the editor made a note that Stuart is thorough with his research and suggests that he never misses an iteration of a game. So the Saturn and MVS omissions might need to get covered.

You are quite amusing with your cute sign-offs and intent to rile everyone up, but honestly some of us are looking for a decent conversation. Something which the handful of carryovers from the RG board have yet to provide. Instead we just get circular reasoning and a dumbstruck look when Deuce suggests that you can be a professional in the sense that you get paid for your work and at the same time be ridiculously unprofessional in your demeanor.
Aw, you called me cute : )

I can go to bed happy.

Skipped right over the entire first paragraph I see.

Good riddance.
I'm a bit stumped about what you want me to say. I've not read the article and don't know about the games. I was just poking at things.

Sorry to have been a bother.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
I know you're just trolling at this point, so I'll be done after this. I've got more enjoyable things to do.

His being a writer for his profession is not altered by his being unprofessional! He explained, as you say, that he's a professional writer (writing is his profession) and you then once more say that his behaviour alters that!
Nowhere did I state that his behavior changed his vocation. He implied that his vocation meant his opinion was somehow worth more than that of anyone else on the forum. My point is that his behavior diminishes the value of anything he says beyond any clout he might gain from having a job with a game magazine. Did I word that clearly enough for you to comprehend?

He seems quite capable of putting together a decent sentence, and he's made me laugh with his timing a few times.
"Comprehensible" and "decent" are two vastly different terms in the given context. He can string together a sequence of words well enough to convey his meaning, but he doesn't do so with any degree of eloquence, wit or charm... the hallmarks of what typically defines a "good writer."

I think you should at least compliment me on how cleverly I called you stupid.
Yes, you quite cleverly called your intellectual superior "stupid."

I'm quite astonishingly immature.
It shows. You have fun under your bridge.

RevStu

n00b
But he didn't do proper research, the piece was dishonest,

Seriously, fuck you. Really. Fuck you and your mother. There is NOT ONE MISTAKE in the feature, nor a single meaningful omission, and repeating your cowardly lies from behind a cloak of anonymity can't change that. You can keep calling a horse a pig all you want, it still won't taste of bacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.