Retro Gamer magazine's terrible Metal Slug feature --reviewed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
lol I don't even have photoshop. Any graphical downgrade was a result of MS Paint... What is there to photoshop anyways.

Interestingly enough, it would appear that everyone in support of Stu was using suspect IPs. I begin to wonder if he has any real friends outside of his head.

Well, its really fucked up that his followers believe him.

Thats utterly pathetic.

WTF is wrong with them?

Are they scared of this guy?

He's like a British Chimpmeister.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Get your commemorative Stuart Campbell e-rape sigs today!

stucampbell_sig.jpg

Hurry, they're going fast.

That's awesome dude.

Lovergoat

, KING of GOATs, Greatest of all time...
Who wants to wager that Stuart Campbell used fake accounts to support himself in his slipshod wikipedia article, just like he did here.

What a sad sorry guy.

Ip matches the one you posted for those two accounts. The guy is his own fan club.

Mike Bevan

n00b
It's all a tiny bit sad really isn't it? The lynch-mob, flaming torches in hand, baying at the gates of RG towers for execution, blood and vengeance because a writer whose opinion and omission of trivial info already publsihed previously in the mag somehow rubbed them up the wrong way. "He had the temerity to come on here, try and defend himself, and call a few people silly names (Oh my word! Swearies!)."

And then the mob continue in his absence to call him more silly names (Lorks! More Swearies! Ooo the hypocrisy!), sling more frankly borderline libellous comments, and stalk his and other forums and various web archives for more dirty laundry on on said writer (that most of us already know and about and to be honest coudn't really give a fig about dragging up again), bragging how much they'll enjoy it when RG goes down the pan, full of their own self-importance that they'll be the ones to have rained fire, brimstone and apocalypse down on a humble little retro publication from the UK.

And meanwhile, elsewhere on the net, Stu's 'Definitive' series of articles is being voted the favourite feature in the magazine by the majority of its readers. Crikey, what's a humble retro editor supposed to do?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
It's all a tiny bit sad really isn't it? The lynch-mob, flaming torches in hand, baying at the gates of RG towers for execution, blood and vengeance because a writer whose opinion and omission of trivial info already publsihed previously in the mag somehow rubbed them up the wrong way. "He had the temerity to come on here, try and defend himself, and call a few people silly names (Oh my word! Swearies!)."

And then the mob continue in his absence to call him more silly names (Lorks! More Swearies! Ooo the hypocrisy!), sling more frankly borderline libellous comments, and stalk his and other forums and various web archives for more dirty laundry on on said writer (that most of us already know and about and to be honest coudn't really give a fig about dragging up again), bragging how much they'll enjoy it when RG goes down the pan, full of their own self-importance that they'll be the ones to have rained fire, brimstone and apocalypse down on a humble little retro publication from the UK.

And meanwhile, elsewhere on the net, Stu's 'Definitive' series of articles is being voted the favourite feature in the magazine by the majority of its readers. Crikey, what's a humble retro editor supposed to do?

You're pretty clueless as to what happened aren't you?
twat

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Mike Bevan said:

Asshole.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

As someone who rides the short bus, of course you wouldn't understand that his so called "defense" was nothing more than a cuss-word filled lash-out at the members of this forum. He didn't address any of the arguments that were made. He fucking failed, and you fucking fail in your reading comprehension, Mr. Short Bus Rider... otherwise you wouldn't have made this post.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
What is funny is that he is calling us nitpicky for bringing up errors in the magazine, but that is a job of a journalist. I'm sure that is addressed, but if you are writing a FACTUAL piece you need to use....facts and not some generalizations that you, the writer, came up with.

It's not like Bill O'Reilly comes out and throws a fit every time I call him a mother fucker...only if...only if...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
...the operative word in this context is 'apparently'. He's adopting an OJ-style 'if I did it' approach. We should also remember that Stuart runs his own forum, so must have been aware of the information the mods here were privy to.

Yeah, I see that interpretation now...
My interpretation was predicated on a misconception that he was gloating about pulling a ruse for 28 pages.

Just another example of the same shoddy sentence structures that begat Bobak's misinterpretations in the the article.

Last edited:

Mike Bevan

n00b
You're pretty clueless as to what happened aren't you?
[**expletive deleted** Think of the children...

braying mob said:
[...etc..]

Ahhh, the eloquence of you young whippersnappers knows no bounds. Funnily enough, I've been, for reasons I'm really starting to question myself, following the entirey of this thread and posting therein for, oooo, 37 pages, whereas I don't think you yourself have contributed anything more than saying I'm a wizard's sleeve.

Do you write for a retro gaming publication? If so, that's it, I'm never buying it again. Unless, of course, your'e fired instantly.

Mai-bukkake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Horrifying. They just put me on 'ignore' over there rather than reply. Ah, the age of public discourse meets the hold tone.

For the record, it's funny that one of his forum member's talks about how this makes him dislike americans all the more, 'cause I'm sure the japanese fans wouldn't freak at that type of error and tone. But then again I'm just some evil yankee imperialist running dog, so whatevs.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Ahhh, the eloquence of you young whippersnappers knows no bounds. Funnily enough, I've been, for reasons I'm really starting to question myself, following the entirey of this thread and posting therein for, oooo, 37 pages, whereas I don't think you yourself have contributed anything more than saying I'm a wizard's sleeve.

Do you write for a retro gaming publication? If so, that's it, I'm never buying it again. Unless, of course, your'e fired instantly.

The quintessential British bit isn't as cute when typed out.
I think Ann Hathaway is looking for her pomp and circumstance.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

HAHAHAHA. Where is the borderline libellous (sic) comments? That Stu is a fraud? He admitted on another forum that "Edge of Heaven" was a charade. He's a charlatan. A phony. He obviously didn't spend time with the games he reviewed in Retro Gamer's slipshod "definitive", for lack of a better grasp of the English language on the part of the RG editorship.

Anyhow

witness the thickness
http://s2.zetaboards.com/worldofstuart/topic/5049954/1/

I wasn't aware that a special olympics forum existed.

Fantistache.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I don't know how anyone can like this guy. I really don't have a problem with his article but the way he handled himself here and calling all everyone arsewits and nerds is pot/kettle.

Again, I love Retrogamer but if people who put themselves out there (news/magazines/etc) can't handle criticism, maybe they should do something else for a living.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
These british folks seem pretty aloof,
I think they're still mad about our farmers kicking their asses
in the revolutionary war, tossing over their tea, and not speaking the queen's english.

but really, does anyone have a scan of the article?
I'd like to read it for myself.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
These british folks seem pretty aloof,
I think they're still mad about our farmers kicking their asses
in the revolutionary war, tossing over their tea, andnot speaking the queen's english.

but really, does anyone have a scan of the article?
I'd like to read it for myself.

I'm leaving in about an hour to hit the errands...I'll see if I can snag a copy.

We're allowed to post scans, right? The last thing we'd need is Stewie and RG coming after us with some copyright bullshit.

Lovergoat

, KING of GOATs, Greatest of all time...

When this guy has been known time and again to either knock up supporting aliases and/or somebody who just happens to be posting from exactly the same ip address as him backs him up. Why should anybody have any respect for the results of an online poll?

:spock:

strider

duck duck goose
Um I mentioned pages and pages ago that the publisher probably wouldn't look kindly on you putting one of their publications up for public use.

Oh and I can assure you that MikeB is someone else entirely.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It should be pointed out that Mike Bevan is supposed to be one of the contributors at Retro Gamer as well.

I'm quite certain that he's not going about this whole thing objectively, as one of his retinue has been exposed as a fraud, a cheat, and a counterfeit. But let's not assume that Mike Bevan is the same clown that Stuart Campbell is.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I'm sorry. I don't understand American.

It is important to notice that his argument, contrary to what he supposes, does not in fact show that our own standards of rationality occupy a peculiarly central position. The appearance to the contrary is an optical illusion engendered by the fact that Mike Bevan's case has been advanced in the English language, and in the context of 20th century European culture. But a formally similar argument could be advanced in any language containing concepts playing a similar role in that language to those of 'intelligibility' and 'rationality' in ours. This shows that, so far from overcoming relativism, as he claims,Mive Bevan himself falls into an extreme form of it.

...stolen from Winch

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Um I mentioned pages and pages ago that the publisher probably wouldn't look kindly on you putting one of their publications up for public use.

Oh and I can assure you that MikeB is someone else entirely.

What about text-only?

For all the drama this has caused, some people without access to the magazine would like to judge for themselves.

And about Mikey...:spock: EDIT: Oh, he's another RG "professional", got it.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
how Come Kernow doesn't talk like such a twat?
Better yet, how did I NOT run into anyone that talks like that after spending 6 damn months in England? Is there some literary upper class gaming club that simply doesn't exist anywhere else in the world?

Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.