Retro Gamer magazine's terrible Metal Slug feature --reviewed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Dunno if this has been posted already, but here's a message from Stu, posted on the Retrogamer forums on May 1st, 3:27 pm:

Rev.Stuart.Campbell said:
The whole thing was instigated when a fellow freelancer sent me an email containing nothing but a link to the original post and the words "Release the hounds!"

I hope we can all now agree that they've been well and truly released.

Link to the full thread: http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=333179 .

So he claims this was an attempt to bring RG more publicity? I find this laughable to no end.

"release the hounds"... haha, release the fake accounts, more like.

Since when it is considered good practice for retro/vg mags to send their freelancers off to "battle" against people who disagree with them in order to get new customers? I'd be interested to hear Darran's take on this.

Last edited:

Mai-bukkake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Well at this moment he or someone who mods his site is deleting posts that come from anyone from here or my site, so whatever. Fucker can't take a joke.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Call it immature and buddy-buddy all you want, it wouldn't have happened had Stu shown a bit of the professionality he claims to have and addressed the OP's points in a cool and calm way. Besides, the fake account- and calling-friends-to-the-rescue thing wasn't exactly mature as well, maybe it is in England but the rest of the world only was one word for it: Pathetic (or "traurig" in my case :) ).

Call us obese lowlifes all you want, nothing is going to change the fact that Stuart made an idiot of himself.

I will start by quoting someone's comment in his personal blog regarding Mr. Campbell: "He's a great writer, but has very poor people skills". I am not sure whether Mr. Campbell is good writer or not (maybe he is since he is really good of spotting "typoe" ;)", but he certainly has poor people skills.

Back to Mr. Campbell, it appears that he is part of this cheaper game + boycott "Fairplay Campaign" in UK as he is the "spokesman"

http://www.fairplay-campaign.co.uk/press2english.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2979142.stm

However, this article pointed out that Mr. Campbell used an interview conducted in 1996 to back up the Fairplay Campaign's claim:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/10/02/video_games_biz_hits_back/

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Back to Mr. Campbell, it appears that he is part of this cheaper game + boycott "Fairplay Campaign" in UK as he is the "spokesman"

http://www.fairplay-campaign.co.uk/press2english.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2979142.stm

However, this article pointed out that Mr. Campbell used an interview conducted in 1996 to back up the Fairplay Campaign's claim:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/10/02/video_games_biz_hits_back/

Quite interesting, especially the last link you posted.

Seems that he has a habit of not doing his homework properly.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
legendary-thread2.jpg

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
nam1972
Timid Neo Newbie

post[field6]

Okay Stu...

I think, by his writing style, it IS stu. You can tell because he goes right back into the whole zombie/mummy thing again.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I think, by his writing style, it IS stu. You can tell because he goes right back into the whole zombie/mummy thing again.

This nam1972 guy is using the services at anonymouse.org to hide his IP.

Haha.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
As amusing as this whole thing is. I can honestly say I hope we have seen the last of "Stu"

I'm quite sick of him to the point that I've visited over on retro gamer and said so.
Not that it matters.

At this point if that magazine would print an article saying that he would no longer be writing for them I belive I would subcribe just to read it.

G

GhostLop

norton9478 said:
See, he admits to a ruse.... But then tries to say that the screenshot is doctored... Now that doesn't make sense... What would be the point of doctoring a screenshot to show the truth?

In fairness, whether he is guilty or not, there is no admission from him in the passage you've quoted. If we look at what he wrote again...

RevStu said:
Firstly, nobody noticed this apparently glaringly obvious ruse for 28 pages, even though nearly all the twats are mods who could see IPs on every post.

...the operative word in this context is 'apparently'. He's adopting an OJ-style 'if I did it' approach. We should also remember that Stuart runs his own forum, so must have been aware of the information the mods here were privy to.

Unfortunately for Stuart, Edge of Heaven's silence since the revelation is as damning as anything. The good news for him is, his defeat hasn't made headline news over here in the UK and will be forgotten about in a flash. We're too busy coming to terms with this instead. Knocked out by Pac-man. :(

Above all else, the true lesson to learn from this thread is, win your argument first, call your opponents thick cunts afterwards, not the other way around.

Mai-bukkake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Well, I;m at the point where even my attempts at just being funny are just met with irritation on Stu's own personal board, so, much like you fellows here, i guess his personal deck of cronies and fans just can't stand me! HAhahahahH!

Lovergoat

, KING of GOATs, Greatest of all time...
It would seem this revstu chap fell into hubris a long time ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Stuart_Campbell_(video_game_journalist)

The embarrassment seems to know no bounds.

Sorry that was rather a lazy post. I should have summarised to save everyone having to read more of this guys bullshit.

Either revstu likes to talk in the third person a lot(a common habit of assholes), or is is simply his own biggest fan. My money is on the latter. To quote some guy who wrote something about robots and AI or something once - "I defend this position with clear, precise, deductive arguments which (in my opinion) sometimes border on proofs." Take that as you will.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
Psst.. guys keep your eyes out for a babbling, angry, fecker with an accent. they are talking about sending stu back over on their boards.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
EL OH EL

God, I log out for two days and this happens...what a fucking loser.

Also, why in the hell hasn't anyone posted scans yet? I'm going out to run errands today, and there's a BN nearby...maybe I'll just eat the $16 and post them myself (or at least a transcript).

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Damn, how I missed this thread!? I just got this issue and reading through it, I only find the MS3 slight abit ridiculous and insulting. I didn't have too much issue with the rest, it is all a very personal take on all the MS games. I do find it funny that Stu wrote MS7 is the best in the series, but whatever, a chimp can write whatever he wants.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Who wants to wager that Stuart Campbell used fake accounts to support himself in his slipshod wikipedia article, just like he did here.

What a sad sorry guy.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Who wants to wager that Stuart Campbell used fake accounts to support himself in his slipshod wikipedia article, just like he did here.

What a sad sorry guy.

I'll wager that he did.

And why did you Photoshop those IP addy's man?

What a fucking tool.... theres really nothing else we can say about him...

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
Didn't I always say that I'm not going to address Stuart's behaviour on a public forum? That's just not professional is it.

Also, I'm pretty sure I made a public apology about his language very early on in the thread (page two I think), but it was conveniently ignored.

Oh and as for the readership thing I never said I couldn't care about losing readers, but as you've already made your mind up about me (despite all the coverage I've given this site in the past) I guess it doesn't really matter now does it.*

I'll admit to joining in with the zombie/mummy debate though as that was good fun.

I'll once again leave you all to it and go back to watching Dog Soldiers; Jon Pertwee's just had his guts ripped out.

*Sits back and waits for the inevitable, the damage is already done and Retro Gamer is doomed responses.

Oh and I'm not an editor in chief. Just a lowly editor.

I haven't posted in this thread yet. But I wanted to address this post by Darren.

I can't comment on the article, since I haven't read it yet.

I personally like RG magazine. I wish it was easier to find in the states.

Even putting aside Stu's article for a second, his behavior in this thread has been immature, unprofessional, and shameful. I wouldn't judge RG by Stu's behavior to date. However, I would lose all respect for RG and its staff, were to continue to use Stu after this fiasco.

I wouldn't necessarily construe RG or Darren's silence as condoning Stu's actions, but I would construe them as condoning his actions should they ever use him again. If they don't use him again, I would continue to be a fan of RG. If they ever use him again, I would wish that RG goes the way of the dodo.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'll wager that he did.

And why did you Photoshop those IP addy's man?

What a fucking tool.... theres really nothing else we can say about him...
lol I don't even have photoshop. Any graphical downgrade was a result of MS Paint... What is there to photoshop anyways.

Interestingly enough, it would appear that everyone in support of Stu was using suspect IPs. I begin to wonder if he has any real friends outside of his head.

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Get your commemorative Stuart Campbell e-rape sigs today!

stucampbell_sig.jpg

Hurry, they're going fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.