Retro-computing Thread

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
All new original 8-bit computer "Commander X16" coming from David Murray aka The 8-Bit Guy. Looks awesome. I can't wait for release dates and pre orders to be available. Definitely going to get one when it's available. Link below.

https://www.commanderx16.com/forum/index.php?/home/

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Well I bought another C64.

I plan to have a dual C64 midi controlled SID setup. Going to with dual sids in each machine because I have a few parts 64s and I think the SIDs work in each. I’ll have to check.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Well I bought another C64.

I plan to have a dual C64 midi controlled SID setup. Going to with dual sids in each machine because I have a few parts 64s and I think the SIDs work in each. I’ll have to check.

That sounds amazing. Please make a video.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Made this video a while back of my IIgs controlling a keyboard on MIDI

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
That was awesome.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Better than Arcade? No.
Street Fighter 2 on Amiga is shit, no matter which version.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Just watch the video when you can sacrifice half an hour. It's not a battle of the ports anyway. ;)

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Seen it, a big "what if?" but the ports didn't turn out that way. The only port worse than the Amiga one is the Atari ST one.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
He shows in depth what is possible, interesting enough for me.

I love seeing how people have found new ways to overcome a system's "limitations"...very cool. Reminds me of that one Lynx cart Alpine Games that tapped into the system High Color mode.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This is a better video if you want to compare an Amiga port to the Arcade. This one is pretty amazing.

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
I love me some vintage/retro pcs! Here's what I got:

Commodore 16
Commodore VIC-20
Commodore 64

TRS-80 COCO2

Atari 600xl

Windows 2000 pc with XP installed, but mostly use it for MS-DOS gaming.

Commodore 64 is my baby though, have a desk dedicated to it alone with a 1902 monitor, 1541 drive and a datasette. Slowly building a pi1541 at the moment as well.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
If anyone in the US is looking for a 15KHz computer monitor, I've got an Atari SC1224 I could send you. I hacked up the video cable to use it testing JAMMA boards, at some point, so you'll need to beep-out the cable and solder on a new Atari RGB plug. Other than that, it works fine. I'll eat the cost of shipping it, if it saves it from the dumpster. It looked really nice when I last used it.

Edit: scoopt.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Depending on the condition of the SC1224, I would be interested in it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Quite a few new C64 games coming out. I just got the 8-Bit Guy’s latest game which comes with a user port adapter to use a SNES controller.

I was surprised by the proliferation of SNES clone controllers...why is some Chinese factory making these, lol? Oh wel clone controller I got is serviceable...for $8 I wasn’t expecting much.

Be cool if some more games came out using this.

Anyway, now that I have some games I went to load it on my 1541 disk drive and didn’t load :( So troubleshooting time.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, I’ll m probably going to get some one. I’m would be fun to have original hardware though :emb:

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
Quite a few new C64 games coming out. I just got the 8-Bit Guy’s latest game which comes with a user port adapter to use a SNES controller.

I was surprised by the proliferation of SNES clone controllers...why is some Chinese factory making these, lol? Oh wel clone controller I got is serviceable...for $8 I wasn’t expecting much.

Be cool if some more games came out using this.

Anyway, now that I have some games I went to load it on my 1541 disk drive and didn’t load :( So troubleshooting time.

Usually a case of the drive head being dirty. The disk could also be dirty, or worse case have disk rot.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It’s a brand “new” disk (NOS) so I don’t think it’s that. I actually did end up ordering a disk drive emulator (back ordered tho :() and...a confirmed working disk drive. Hey, it’s better than buying crack.

I’d like to see if I can get disk drive I have working. I didn’t really sit down and read through much troubleshooting guides today. Cleared some space on my workbench though to take a look at it.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I have an MSX Turbo-R and three Sharp X68000s. I used to have a decked out Amiga A1200 with a 68030 expansion but traded it off for a Cave arcade board a few months ago.

IMG_2656_Original.jpg
IMG_2913.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Fam, should I get an Amiga? Mostly want to fart around with old analog video stuff.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
You mean something like Video Toaster?

Also lmk if you ever need a floppy emulator, I still got a Gotek that I'm not using.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, I’d love a video toaster setup. I have an assortment of old analog video gear and some other FX gear.

I did end up getting a working 1541 drive and I also ordered a floppy drive emulator cart for the C64.