Retro-computing Thread

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Any retro laptops here?
I maintain a G3 Powerbook - Pismo
It's my time capsule from college where this was my workhorse. It's crazy to use an Apple product that's completely modular all the way down to the CPU.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Any retro laptops here?
It's my time capsule from college where this was my workhorse. It's crazy to use an Apple product that's completely modular all the way down to the CPU.
That's amazing; I also have a Pismo :) 500 MHz G3 and I put an MSATA to IDE adaptor in there. Great swiss army knife for PPC stuff and it's nice to not take up 'all of the space.' I also have several expansion bay drives; CD-RW, DVD-R, Zip 100, and SuperDisk (uses both 1.4MB and proprietary 120MB floppies IIRC).

I also have a powerbook 190cs, working, but the screen could use a recap like most of those 68K powerbooks. I only have it because my sisters college laptop (which ended up being my 1st laptop) was a monochrome Powerbook 190. That one is gone to time sadly, but somewhere in the consolation 190cs pile is an untested Powerbook 540. Untested because a PSU would cost me more than I paid for the laptop itself :cautious:

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Any retro laptops here?
I have every laptop I've owned going back to around 1998 or so. I was recently scavenging files off all of them so they are all still functional. Whether it's because of old spyware, failing HDDs or something else, many of them run extra slow these days, taking a long time to boot up or load large files, making them poor choices to use as retro game machines. Oldest one is probably a Toshiba 3110ct. Still have ancient homework saved on it. I haven't been able to transfer stuff off that one. It's too early to have drivers for usb drives and CD burners, and I haven't been able to get its copy of Windows 98 to network with my newer PCs.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ve never owned a laptop really :(

I had an old clamshell Mac laptop in around 2004 that I was given but it was old then my main PC was brand new at the time. Not sure what happened to it.