Reprinted labels vs Keeping it O.G

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
How do you guys feel about reprinted labels for mvs carts?

There are a lot of loose carts out there that had their labels molested by operators back in the days; the serials were stretched off using keys, written over using heavy pens and god knows what else.

I don't want to "waste away" real labels that are damaged yet still show the serials, I feel it's part of history and it must be preserved.. But I've been thinking about getting replacements for the ones with un-salvageables serials. If it can't be fixed, well.. Maybe there's no harm in that.

It's kinda like why I don't buy kits even if its for a game that I really want, I feel that games still in their kits should be kept for people who want them. I'm happy with just a shockbox, and a clean, non-boot, working cart that plays without problems

Still, I would not want to potentially "hurt" the value of a cart by using a replacement label. There's also the whole authenticity factor obviously..

Soooo how do you guys feel about using replacement labels for mvs carts? :cool:
As far as the value of the MVS cart goes, it is usually better to keep the original label (if it is still intact enough to identify whether the cart is US, Japanese, and what the name of the game is). It's only rarely that a label is so bad condition, that it doesn't add value to the cart. Maybe some buyers on ebay want a pristine label, but if they're MVS buyers (rather than AES) then they're not likely to be fussy anyway. And a lot of people keep them stored in shockboxes anway, so you don't see the label. If you sell the game later on, the buyer can replace the sticker if they want to.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
OG Labels, I try to get good labels with intact serials where possible, but to be honest, the jacked up labels on some of my carts have a history and character all their own! Makes me want to Sherlock Holmes and somehow deduce the personal arcade history of the cart every time I see it.

Dug up from Yaton's backyard landfill. Solved.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Leave the OG labels alone as long as they're readable somewhat, these are no longer produced.

Personally I go for english labels with serials intact...
it's dumb shit, don't do it.

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
Gotta keep the original label unless it's just so bad it's unreadable but i only have full clean original labels so far and hope to keep it that way i usually just past on the carts with damaged labels.
If it comes to buying a cart with damaged label it doesn't matter i buy shockboxes for all my games so that whole case label will do just fine, but those colored labels do looks cool as hell tho.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
The majority of my 100 cart MVS collection were stinky Yaton carts purchased at bargain basement prices. I've probably replaced around 50 or so labels with replicas from (thank you to whoever contributed to this btw)http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/mvslabels.html

All my "stinky" carts have now been hand washed, sticker glue removed, PCB's cleaned and gloss sticker paper reprints added.

I reprint according to the following conditions:
1. If the label is already a replacement and doesn't meet my quality standards
2. If the label is severely torn, ripped, cut serials, or stinky Yaton "I don't want to know where that stain came from" variety

I'm of the opinion that people should do whatever they want with their own collections. I myself like to open up each of my Shockboxes and find a nice English label cart inside that doesn't smell like it came from a dumpster.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
I'm of the opinion that people should do whatever they want with their own collections. I myself like to open up each of my Shockboxes and find a nice English label cart inside that doesn't smell like it came from a dumpster.
I agree.

Personally since all of my labels been falling apart, badly made replacement lables or mutilated anyways, some games had to have their cases replaced. So I decided to go for some nice Inkjet color master pieces.
One game, while I open the cart for authentication, repair and cleaning the label crumbled into dust. Some carts their labeled were made on regular printer paper and was just taped on.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
MVS original labels can be faked so easily. As long as they look good, I could care less. Using some Avery printer sheets you could easily replicate anything to a point where nobody would notice. I did that to a couple of my carts back in the day that had the dreaded paper-and-glue method labels and... and... I honestly don't even know which ones I did that to, because you can't really tell. I used to have a template saved somewhere that was pretty much dead on the real deal. I was looking for it tonight to post it up here, but I can't find the damn thing. If I do, I'll link it in this thread.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
That's probably why SNK started putting the holographic ribbon on the label of the US releases.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
That's probably why SNK started putting the holographic ribbon on the label of the US releases.

I'm sure you could fake that too ;) But why bother? You'll find versions of the cart with original labels both with and without halo-stickers. There really is no consistency to SNK's release process.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Which reminds me that there is (was?) a site out there that kept a database of mvs carts with serials, this way people could potentially track where the carts have been.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Stains, rips, and damaged serials? Get that shit off my cart.

The worst is when a label is super stained and beat up, but the serials somehow survive in tact. I usually just can't bring myself to deliver the final killing blow and replace the label.

Maybe I'll try to remove it with a heatgun, keeping it in tact, and sticking it to some wax paper for storage. Would let my conscious stay free and still allow me to get a clean label. Then I could oxyclean bathe the cart too!

Only if the serials are removed or the label is reall screwed up. I really like the color labels from Jasen's Customs.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
I myself replace the label if it's super molested. Mostly try to keep the original labels 90% of the time if possible. The battle scars of a mvs cart gives it some appeal, scratched serials and all. They all end up in the big red and get played.

DPsx7

Banned
I'm with Zerm too. It's my game. If it looks like crap I'll fix it. I know I'll have to replace at least one label that's hardly legible. Now that I know why serials were scratched it doesn't bother me as much. I considered those nice colored labels but then I'd be stuck replacing everything and I don't even have a color printer, just a B&W laser. So original style it is. One of these days I plan to break down all my carts for a good cleaning. There are a couple I opened to check for boots and they are filthy dusty. Then I'll likely end up buying shocks to keep them in.

Aha good idea. I don't like the tape/glue idea so if I can print onto sticker paper that would be sweet. If you find that template Rabbit I'd like to see it.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
What label are you looking for? I can check what I have in stock and send one out to you

DPsx7

Banned
You mean me? I have a few bookmarks of sites that have scans of the labels, I just don't have the sticker paper yet.

It's for an Aero Fighters 2 which has seen better days.

$_12.JPG

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member

thats beatiful! throw some poly (the lightened up blacks will darken back up/maybe a couple swipes with rubbing alcohol to lighten up the dinge a little) on there sand it so its almost sort of flat( alittle) then another coat or two. then youcan wash the dirt off the rest of it... unless you replace the shell all the scrapes will look weird with a new label? I mean you can tell what game it is?!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I used to buy yaton carts, so yeah I replaced some labels, lol.

Here's a low-res example of an insanely hi-res file (original is 1200 dpi), when my graphic design-fu was strong:

doubledragon.jpg

Made some for about 15 games, matching font and text size/placement as close as possible.

Last edited:

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Only if the serials are removed or the label is reall screwed up. I really like the color labels from Jasen's Customs.

I just discovered today my man Jasen offers color reproduction labels. I got to give it a try.

I did recently got a Strikers 1945 Plus cart with no label and the title written on in sharpie.